Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

PANDORA’s Unforgettable Holiday Moments on Ice-Show:11/09-Airs 12/01 @NBC

http://www.dissonskating.com/2013/05...-holiday-show/

Multi-Platinum Musical Guest Mannheim Steamroller and Grammy® Winner Martina McBride Join Olympic and World Champion Figure Skaters at Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena for Holiday Show
    By Brittany Evans on May 20, 2013

Sylvia probably started a thread on this a month ago....

vCash
    Not this time!

ETA:
    Date and Location: Saturday, November 9, 2013 at 7:00pm at the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Florida.
    "Tickets go on sale this summer, the date and time will be announced soon."

Skaters (confirmed so far): Brian Boitano, Sasha Cohen, Kimmie Meissner, Ryan Bradley, Elena Leonova & Andrei Khvalko, Sinead & John Kerr
    Musical artist: Mannheim Steamroller
    Hosts: Kristi Yamaguchi and Michael Weiss
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-20-2013 at 11:38 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Not this time!
    Whoa...I don't believe it!

vCash
    Twitter:

Disson Skating ‏@DissonSkating 32m
    Join us in welcoming our choreographer and artistic director @CousinsSteven to Twitter!

vCash
    http://www.dissonskating.com/our-sho...oments-on-ice/

Reminder - NBC Airdate
    Sunday, December 1, 2013
    4:00 – 6:00 PM EST

(Check your local listings)

Willoway's first-hand impressions from the show are posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4047816
    Re-posting:
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    A very, very nice Christmas show with a lot of beautiful skating and of course, seasonal music from Mannheim Steamroller. One of the more unusual aspects was the male-heavy (even if they don't have an ounce of fat among them!) cast which included Boitano, Kulik, Weiss, Bradley and Eldredge. That's a lotta guys and I loved it! And they skated well. The remainder of the cast - Czisny, Meissner, Leonova/Khvalko, the Chesnas - did a lovely job. Everyone, except for Ekaterina and Alexander Chesna who are not a traditional skating couple, did two numbers, all with a Christmas theme. Almost all were to live music to the aforementioned MS and Martina McBride singing with MS musicians as her backup. Excellent.

Steven Cousins directed and partially choreographed. I mention that specifically because I talked to Steven afterward to tell how very much I enjoyed his trio (Czisny, Leonova and Bradley) to Silent Night. It was elegant and very simple, very, but in the best way. The crowd (a good one) was almost holding its collective breath until the end and really did react big. Sometimes, actually most of the time, the simple, honest things are the most beautiful - this was unexpected and achieved that status. How it will translate to TV is yet to be seen - in person, it was marvelous and spun a little magic.

Much the same can be said about Brian's first number (him all in red and looking much younger than his years and I forget the music but it didn't matter, it was the skating that counted) which begins with simple practice of three-turns - a bit anyone who has ever had skating lessons will relate to. It was simple and perfect and lovely and branched out into a very pretty program which ended back at simple concentration on a basic move. While there was no set, actual or implied, I easily saw a young man on outdoor ice in winter practicing his figures - it was very evocative. I liked the idea and I liked the execution very much. He was in very good form.

Ilia skated very big, very beautifully, very lyrically. His programs were absolutely full of content (not crossover, crossover, crossover, element, repeat...repeat) and we discussed that. He sees that content level - all the footwork, in-betweens, etc. - as his job to do and honestly, he'd be bored with the alternative. The execution was at a very high level. I commented on his amazing speed (even a little more than usual) and he said that the ice was very "fast" and really terrific so he took full advantage of it. None of the skaters had ice problems. Excellent job by the arena in Jacksonville.

Alissa looked lovely. Of course this is not Alissa doing competitive programs so her limitations, if any, from prior injuries couldn't be seen. But she looked healthy, happy, more robust (and I don't mean heavy but healthy) than I've ever seen her. Her elements were not especially aggressive but of course her spins were elegant, fast and just lovely to behold.

Leonova and Khvalko brought their A game and were very much appreciated by the audience as were the Chesnas whose "flying" abilities had everyone gasping - the Chesnas will doubtless not appear quite as death-defying on TV as live but I was holding my breath for their entire number.

Todd, Kimmie, Ryan and of course Michael skated very well.

My only quibble is that the costume designer put too many people in black, white or gray which is a palette that doesn't say "holidays" to me. The skating however will easily cancel out that little criticism - it was super. It will be broadcast nationally in the US on NBC on Sunday, Dec. 1 - check your local listings for the time in your area.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-30-2013 at 01:12 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Brian was on the Today Show on Friday to promote the show. Looked good.

vCash
    Reminder: This is scheduled to start at 4 pm Eastern today.
    Skaters:
    Brian Boitano
    Ilia Kulik
    Todd Eldredge
    Kimmie Meissner
    Michael Weiss
    Alissa Czisny
    Ryan Bradley
    Elena Leonova & Andrei Khvalko
    Ekaterina & Alexander Chesna

Musical Guest Stars:
    Mannheim Steamroller
    Martina McBride

TV Hosts:
    Kristi Yamaguchi
    Michael Weiss
    Chip Davis
    http://www.dissonskating.com/2013/11...013/#more-3292

vCash
    Ryan Bradley is the cat's meow, too cool for school, what a hambone. And younger than Todd, Michael and Brian.

vCash
    I couldn't sit through it. No attention was paid to the choreography and it was all dull background music. I'm as disappointed as anyone that skating isn't on tv much anymore, but when this is the product they come up with (and with that many talented skaters!), it's no surprise. I think Sandra Bezic said recently that it's important when producing shows to respect the audience and to appreciate that they aren't stupid. It's clear when watching this that no work was put into making a cohesive (beyond the Christmas theme), interesting show with good music and thoughtful program composition; I think anyone watching would notice that, not just people who follow skating.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    at least there were no children
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I did find the Mannheim music repetitive and sleep-inducing. Overall the skating was of good quality; Ilia looked good enough to be competitive today! And Brian still skates quite well (esp. for his age)! Kimmie skated stronger than I've seen her do in awhile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I couldn't sit through it. No attention was paid to the choreography and it was all dull background music. I'm as disappointed as anyone that skating isn't on tv much anymore, but when this is the product they come up with (and with that many talented skaters!), it's no surprise. I think Sandra Bezic said recently that it's important when producing shows to respect the audience and to appreciate that they aren't stupid. It's clear when watching this that no work was put into making a cohesive (beyond the Christmas theme), interesting show with good music and thoughtful program composition; I think anyone watching would notice that, not just people who follow skating.
    Well said. I think it is an issue about respecting your market's intelligence. I still watch, because I love the skaters... but just have a show with a Christmas theme and let them show up with their own programs to their own music. I have never got this whole put a singer on the stage and make everyone skate to their music business. The whole thing always strikes me as kitschy.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Yeah, this is what I've come to expect when watching these types of shows . . . dull, boring, ordinary, vanilla, a complete waste of time. I didn't even bother tuning in today. Sounds like I didn't miss anything once again.

vCash
    My mom and I loved it. I guess we were their target market.

vCash
    Agree 100%. Attending the American Legends show next week (because the cast was just so impressive and such a broad range) but after this I'm really scared.

vCash
    I watched. At least it was skating on tv. Yep it seems beggars can't be choosers. It was fun to see Alissa and Kimmie, and I also enjoyed watching the talented and eye-catching Ilia K and Ryan B. Great to see Brian has lost none of his joy and on-ice presence. And it was wonderful to see Todd E too! I didn't recognize Alena Leonova at first with her blonde hair. At one point the over-the-air announcer made a mistake saying Ryan is the reigning U.S. National champion. I began to wonder if it was a repeat of a 2-year-old program, but of course everyone looked older than they were in 2011. Truthfully, there's room for this type of show and concept, but fs needs so much more. There's room for a lot more variety. When will there be another Fashion on Ice and different kinds of programming? The exciting Young Artists Showcase should be televised, at least the finals with excerpts of some of the best Challenge programs.

One other thing I did enjoy in the Pandora show today tho' was the aerial acrobatic feats. It reminded me of Nicole Bobek's lovely aerial debut -- they should have invited her. Ryan did a great job to some boring music. The sport truly needs to better utilize its eligible retired athletes.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 12-02-2013 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Oo

vCash
    I loved Brian's program where he carved a straight line in the ice to mark his axis before starting his figures. It was a lovely tribute to figures.

One thing I did not like -- and this is a holdover from the Family show last week -- and it has nothing to do with skating -- is Michael Weiss' using these shows as a platform to promote his daughter's screetching career. The girl has no talent for singing, and I wish that a brave producer somewhere will give the family the sad news.

vCash
    I only watched for a minute, when the aerialists were on. Holy moly, that was amazing! Though just watching them brought on my fear of heights, full blast.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    As a fan of Todd Eldredge I was happy to stay up till 3 a.m. to watch That was a bit boring, yes, but at least there were no children, it was actual skating and the music was easy on the ears. So no major complaints here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    at least there were no children
    This.

I always feel slightly sad when I see Kimmie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast