Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    The Governor of Oklahoma is now giving a special news briefing on ABC. My heart goes out to all the families and loved ones that didn't survive. <3
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I can barely believe my eyes when looking at the photos and video footage. The tornado was soooo huge. It looks like the entire suburb is just gone. So horrifying.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    ITA! There's also a live stream on ABC News.com

http://abcnews.go.com/Live/
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Our pets can be so comforting at times like these.
    I'm so relieved for you, agal and immoimeme.

vCash
    So sad for everyone suffering. Such destruction and lost lives

vCash
    I work at OU Med and made it into work today, but we have no water pressure in the clinics and are having to reschedule all non-essential visits. Trauma center still up and running of course. All our clinic staff is safe, but one of the nurses I work with has only the shell of her house remaining. Another nurse's friend was tracking the storm, saw that it was going to directly impact his home, and called his family to drive north ASAP. They got out, and thank God because the house was obliterated. My son plays club soccer in west Moore, and through the coaches, we have offered our home in north OKC to anyone who needs a place to stay. It's still hard to reach the people who need help though.

We also don't have a basement in our home, just use an internal downstairs bathroom, but have been very fortunate in the 11 years we have lived here not to take a direct hit like this. Somehow, tornadoes don't seem to come through north OKC, either going south through Moore (repeatedly) or further north through other suburbs/exurbs. We seem to get damaging hail instead, and I am on my fourth roof in 10 years. Though everyone prepares to the greatest extent possible, and I think everyone did whatever was humanly possible in this circumstance, it really is just by God's grace that catastrophe is avoided. I'm sure it seems crazy when those affected ask first for prayer, but really, that's about the best chance when something like this happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexikeguchi View Post
    I work at OU Med and made it into work today, but we have no water pressure in the clinics and are having to reschedule all non-essential visits. Trauma center still up and running of course. All our clinic staff is safe, but one of the nurses I work with has only the shell of her house remaining. Another nurse's friend was tracking the storm, saw that it was going to directly impact his home, and called his family to drive north ASAP. They got out, and thank God because the house was obliterated. My son plays club soccer in west Moore, and through the coaches, we have offered our home in north OKC to anyone who needs a place to stay. It's still hard to reach the people who need help though.

We also don't have a basement in our home, just use an internal downstairs bathroom, but have been very fortunate in the 11 years we have lived here not to take a direct hit like this. Somehow, tornadoes don't seem to come through north OKC, either going south through Moore (repeatedly) or further north through other suburbs/exurbs. We seem to get damaging hail instead, and I am on my fourth roof in 10 years. Though everyone prepares to the greatest extent possible, and I think everyone did whatever was humanly possible in this circumstance, it really is just by God's grace that catastrophe is avoided. I'm sure it seems crazy when those affected ask first for prayer, but really, that's about the best chance when something like this happens.
    Glad to hear you are safe, and thanks for helping those affected.

vCash
    The news, here, is reporting 24 confirmed dead. that the initial 51 was due to accidentally double counting some of the bodies. I hope 24 is as high as it goes, but any lost life is devastating.

Agalisgv, glad that you and your family are okay. glad that your home is intact. Praying for your pastor and family. Hope you are all coping as well as you can. Do you have power?

(((alexikeguchi))) for all that you are doing to help.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Am on the mini iPad, so please excuse any boo boo's made.

Agalisgv, Alex and our other OKC member who checked in but auto correct keeps "correcting" on me...Glad to know you're all okay and I hope you've been able to get in touch w/those needing somewhere to stay.

Agalisgv, if you feel comfortable doing it, could you please PM me the names of your Pastor and kids so I could pass it on to my Pastor? Needless to say that everyone in the area hit are in our thoughts and Prayers, but I know Erwin would like that information. If you don't feel comfortable sharing it, it's okay and I understand.

Stay safe Everyone and know Millions around the World are thinking about and Praying for all of you.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

More tornadoes in Oklahoma- any fsuers in Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Missouri?

I'm disappointed with the news reporting again. I heard 51 dead when I went to bed last night then this morning NPR reported the number had risen to 90 something. Then on the way home I hear it is 27! The news outlets should hold themselves to higher standards an quit being so worried about being the 1st to report something.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    To be fair the news outlets I watched (CNN and NBC) only reported what state officials told them. They broadcasted the interviews where those numbers were announced.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    The number of 51 last evening came directly from the Medical Examiner, Amy Elliott. I heard her speaking by phone to CNN and give this information. She was one who corrected the numbers in a news conference this morning. Apparently there was some double counting/confusion yesterday.

At the time she gave the 51 number she also said she had been told to expect about 40 more. I presume that's where the number of 90 came from...
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Please update me on the situation at the elementary school, were they able to locate all the children who were in the building and if so, how many survived?

vCash
    This summary article has the most current numbers, and links to more information:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/us/okl...ado/index.html

Fire chief: The 7 who died at an elementary school were in a classroom, not a basement.
    The mayor of Moore says he does not expect death toll to rise beyond 24.
    ETA: I believe that the reason for the survival of many of the children at Plaza Towers Elementary was that bystanders began digging them out of the rubble; and making a "human chain" to get them to ambulances and rescue personnel.

More important developments:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/us/okl...ado/index.html
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 05-22-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: to add comment

vCash
    Hi all--

Just a quick update. Pastor and family are fine . Coworker who lost house was actually in the home when the tornado hit. She went into the closet with her two dogs, and could hear her home collapsing. When the tornado passed, she opened the door and found the closet was the only thing left standing in her home. Total miracle she's alive and unharmed. Another coworker lost his house, but is unharmed. And a third coworker's niece and nephew were in the elementary school that collapsed. Her niece suffered only a broken arm even though she was in the part of the school worst hit. The nephew suffered multiple broken bones and internal injuries, and was just put on life support today. Because of all the debris, the ambulance couldn't get to the kids, so the parents picked them up and carried them over a mile to get them medical attention. We've taken up a collection for all those affected, and I've been working on securing supplies for first responders and those displaced. A friend of mine is in the national guard, and he's being called in. He took a bunch of donations we raised and used his military ID to get through the checkpoints and drop them off.

Someone asked about basements, and in OK you won't find many. I asked a building contractor about this once, and he said it's because of the soil. OK has hard red clay soil, and it's very difficult to dig through. So the cost of putting in a basement in OK is high, and isn't recouped in the added value it gives to a home. So unless a home is custom built to include a basement (very rare), a house won't have one. Schools here don't have any basements or safe rooms. Kids just stand in the hallways or bathrooms, or any room without a window.

Lots of folk are pulling together right now which is good. But someone made a comment that Moore was just one town hit--the other towns that were completely obliterated have received no press at all, and very little attention. So anyhow, I'd just pass on that a lot more folk besides those in Moore are displaced. Sad thing is Moore is likely the only one to be guaranteed to be rebuilt. The other towns will likely be on their own .

As alexeikuguchi mentioned, power has been out for some counties, and some water plants were hit meaning no water for many as well. Internet and tv wasn't available for us in the immediate area till the next day, and then it was iffy a bit. Things are ok now . And the weather today is beautiful!!!

Anyhow, thanks all for your prayers and support and weather info--it was much appreciated!

vCash
    Thanks for the update, agalisgv.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    After living for a week without electricity after Sandy I can say that living without water is much worse so I really feel for the people who are without it right now. I felt incredibily lucky to have had water, the situation would have been pretty unbearable without it.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I was also near the affected area yesterday bringing supplies. I tried to drive by the house of a teammate of my son since I knew it was right in the path, but it was in the restricted access area. From where I was, though, I was able to see the theater and another large building which was extensively damaged, and I only later realized that the other building was Moore Medical Center, where I have actually worked on occasion in the past. Surprisingly given the patchy service, I was able to get through to the friend's mom by cell, and she said that they were just packing up what they could (fortunately no items of sentimental value were lost), were going to have to walk out of the area to meet their ride, and were going to be put up in a hotel for the time being. House will need to be leveled and rebuilt but was still upright. Most of the neighborhood was flattened. There are many more families in the club left homeless, and we have been organizing an additional collection for them. Sadly, a little boy from one of the younger teams was one of those lost in the Plaza Towers collapse, and there will be a memorial for him Friday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Someone asked about basements, and in OK you won't find many. I asked a building contractor about this once, and he said it's because of the soil. OK has hard red clay soil, and it's very difficult to dig through. So the cost of putting in a basement in OK is high, and isn't recouped in the added value it gives to a home. So unless a home is custom built to include a basement (very rare), a house won't have one. Schools here don't have any basements or safe rooms. Kids just stand in the hallways or bathrooms, or any room without a window.
    That is unfortunate. Most houses here have basements and the ground is solid rock. Many basements have to be blasted out. In a place so prone to tornadoes, it would seem that basements could save lives.

Sending good wishes to everyone in OK.

vCash
    I have several family members in OK, two in Moore. They were all lucky - my 80-something cousin said the tornado passed about a mile south of his home. They have electricity and Internet, so they've been posting updates and ways to assist. Sadly, some friends lost a son in the school collapse. People are posting photos that they've found on Facebook, asking people to share the images to try and find the owners. There was a couple in the hospital after just having a baby, a wedding portrait, and other milestone photos. One person found a digital camera and pulled off a photo to share, in the hopes of id'ing the owners.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast