Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Not summer :(
    vCash
    Agalisgv, I'm glad you're okay!

So tragic.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Agal-So glad to hear that you're all right. Please stay safe and know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am SO sad reading and seeing all the news from Oklahoma tonight. Those poor people were just pummeled by that tornado and I am so heartbroken about the schools that were hit. I can't even imagine the chaos that they probably had to deal with as they waited out that storm. That teacher who laid over her kids to protect them is the definition of a hero.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone in Oklahoma.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Twitter: These pix are heartbreaking....

Andrew Kaczynski ‏@BuzzFeedAndrew 7m
    13 heartbreaking photos from the aftermath of the Oklahoma tornado. http://www.buzzfeed.com/mbvd/13-hear...the-oklahoma-t

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Yahoo says it was an F4 or F5 and it was on the ground for 40 minutes. Good lord.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Agalisgv, glad to know you are safe. Was your home effected?

We have had so many devastating weather occurrences lately. So terrible!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Yahoo says it was an F4 or F5 and it was on the ground for 40 minutes. Good lord.
    All my knowledge about tornadoes comes from the movie Twister. And according to that movie an F5 is a finger of God.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Thanks for checking in Agal! Will keep you posted.

Cruisin, with agal's privacy in mind, all I can say is that she wasn't directly affected.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 05-21-2013 at 05:30 AM.

vCash
    alexikeguchi and agalisgv very good to hear you guys are safe! Hope the same is true for all of our other OKC FSUers. I used to live in OKC.

vCash
    Hi all--

Internet has been hard today, so had difficulty connecting to anything via cell except text messaging. Go figure. I did text immoimeme and she's ok. We both live very near where the tornado touched down. My son's school was on lockdown as were the Moore schools obviously.

My home is fine--thanks for asking . Many people I know live in Moore, though. My pastor and his kids are presently unaccounted for, so please keep them in your prayers. My co-worker lost her house and everything inside. Some other folk I know who live there are still unaccounted for.

Thanks for all who provided weather updates--for some reason it's been easier getting on here than on the weather sites when a connection will go through. They say tomorrow won't be as bad, and after that it should be better. Yesterday was an F4, and today was an F5. Yesterday they had storm chasers following some funnel clouds forming, and they video was right outside my house. I wasn't home at the time, but tried to get home when funnel clouds started forming directly overhead where I was, so we had to take cover. In the end we were okay though. Rfisher knows how common twisters are here, but the size of the tornadoes hitting here are just immense . Hopefully tomorrow will be better

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Just saw a report that the Medical Examiner's office said that of the 51 confirmed fatalities, 20 of them are children .

vCash
    agalisgv glad you and yours are ok.I will pray they find your pastor and others safe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Just saw a report that the Medical Examiner's office said that of the 51 confirmed fatalities, 20 of them are children .
    Horrible tragedy. Thoughts are with everyone down there and especially our FSU members in the area.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Apparently the Oklahoma Medical Examiner's office has just been told to expect about 40 more bodies.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/okl...nts/index.html

vCash
    I turned on the TV after coming home and the news was really bad- 51 officially dead, but they expect the death toll to climb. One whole town (Moore, OK)was wiped out. It must be so heart-breaking for parents who either lost their children or are still holding on to hope.

Vacant
    vCash
    Just woke up to the unreal images coming from Oklahoma. My heart goes out to all affected. Such a tragedy. UKTV saying 91 are dead

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    Then there are the looters...scum....
    Shoot a couple of them. When that gets out, the looting will drop off.

Same storm system may punch out more tornadoes today in northeast TX, southwest AR, and northwest LA. I would not be surprised to see more F3s or an F4.

The season got off to a late start but is now making up for it, unfortunately.

Of all weather phenomena, tornadoes are the most sadistic.
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

vCash
    I work for a chain of daycare centers and after Newtown, they mandated that all schools practice drills in the event of intruders or natural disaster, by coincidence we had a tornado drill yesterday which consisted of us piling the kids into the bathroom as it is the only room in the building without windows. Not living in an area where tornado hit, we had no safety issue being in the bathroom but now wondering, do schools in areas known to be in tornado alley have safe rooms designated for tornadoes? One report on CNN said the kids in the school were hugging the walls when the tornado hit but wouldn't the building had a safe zone for tornadoes or does it not matter once a tornado bears down on you?.

vCash
    agal, praying your pastor and his kids are found soon.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FGRSK8 View Post
    Shoot a couple of them. When that gets out, the looting will drop off.

Same storm system may punch out more tornadoes today in northeast TX, southwest AR, and northwest LA. I would not be surprised to see more F3s or an F4.

The season got off to a late start but is now making up for it, unfortunately.

Of all weather phenomena, tornadoes are the most sadistic.
    Sadistic and awe inspiring at the same time. There is no predicting what will happen. I've seen trees that were litterally twisted in half and a building next to them didn't lose a single shingle. These super storms producing F3s, F4s and the rare F5 are just difficult to comprehend even when you live in an area where you know there will be spring time storms. You don't know where or when, but you know they're going to happen. Fortunatly, most of them are small and most touch ground in rural areas, but the ones that don't.....keep your head down today OK and hope the weather pattern changes tomorrow.

And, there is no safe place if a building sustains a direct hit. You just get lucky. Many years ago a F5 hit Waco, TX and people in a bank went into the basement vault and drowned when the building was hit and a water main flooded the basement which is why many people don't build underground shelters any longer. I worked in Little Rock and a huge twister was headed straight for my employer (a large hospital). I was home but headed toward the hospital when the weather tracked the storm because we knew they'd need help if it had a direct hit. Fortunately, the twister picked up and went over the top of the building. Most people who are injured are injured by flying debris which is why getting along an inside wall offers shelter. Taking the mattresses off a bed will help, but if the entire building is hit, it's just a matter of luck or fate whichever you believe controls your destiny. I remember playing "tornado" with my son when he was little during a warning. Trying to stuff a 3 yo, a large dog, a hamster and favorite toys into a closet was a real adventure. Especially when I realized the iron was on the shelf above us and we'd probably be killed by it falling on our heads. Then the dog farted and I decided we'd just take our chance with the storm.
    Last edited by rfisher; 05-21-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I work for a chain of daycare centers and after Newtown, they mandated that all schools practice drills in the event of intruders or natural disaster, by coincidence we had a tornado drill yesterday which consisted of us piling the kids into the bathroom as it is the only room in the building without windows. Not living in an area where tornado hit, we had no safety issue being in the bathroom but now wondering, do schools in areas known to be in tornado alley have safe rooms designated for tornadoes? One report on CNN said the kids in the school were hugging the walls when the tornado hit but wouldn't the building had a safe zone for tornadoes or does it not matter once a tornado bears down on you?.
    Out of the horror of yesterday's tornado in Moore is that the death toll may not be as high as it could be due to the same area getting hit by a tornado in 1999. After that storm, a lot of houses that were destroyed were rebuilt with reinforced concrete safe rooms and underground shelters. Many other folks of Moore that suffered no damage in the 1999 tornado built underground shelters as well. One of the thing the rescuers said last night was that they were rescuing people out of their underground shelters because debris fell on the doorways and they were trapped. They came through the tornado unscathed.

As far as schools are concerned, internal hallways are deemed the safest but newer construction schools have several underground shelters scattered through the school building so that kids could scramble down into these shelters quickly. This is better than having one single shelter since it would take more time to get everyone below ground. With a tornado bearing down, time is a very scarce commodity.
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast