Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    Awesome. This should turn up the heat during the Oly year.
    Yes. My gut feeling is this will suit them very well. I watched the video of the story online and knew she'd be the rose. I think it's going to be a great story for an ice dance team to tell. Hopefully Igor doesn't remove too much of what the original choreographer did but this story and Igor's politics and I don't think B&S are the only team that should worry.

fwiw...I think with this theme they would have been fine with Krylova.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post

I certainly hope it's not in the style of I/K's Ghost.
    I don't think you have to worry. The Little Prince is a piece of literature and has nothing to do with the tacky shouting and talking from "The Ghost" program. :-)

vCash
    Nothing can be as bad as Ghost, Also, no Morozov. Considering the concept and the people involved, I expect something more lighthearted. And possibly voidy

vCash
    I've posted the translation of the TV segment here

http://rayhaneh28.tumblr.com/post/52...figure-skating

Just a little warning: I professionally almost exclusively translate from English to French, and not the other way around (and it's usually commercial agreements, not dialogues between people or figure skating-related fluff ). I apologize if the English is not completely flowing

And I'm off to translate the press article next I may not be able to finish that before tomorrow though.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Nothing can be as bad as Ghost, Also, no Morozov. Considering the concept and the people involved, I expect something more lighthearted. And possibly voidy
    If anything it will be Chaplin part 2

vCash
    I am looking forward to it! If there is one team that could pull it off well, it's them. I haven't quite liked the past two FDs but I think this will suit them well!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    If anything it will be Chaplin part 2
    Making it Circus, part 3?

I hope it'll be different and not a rehash of either of those programs.

Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    I've posted the translation of the TV segment here

http://rayhaneh28.tumblr.com/post/52...figure-skating

Just a little warning: I professionally almost exclusively translate from English to French, and not the other way around (and it's usually commercial agreements, not dialogues between people or figure skating-related fluff ). I apologize if the English is not completely flowing
    Thank you (again ). I'm the opposite, I'd rather translate to rather than from English.

One thing I couldn't figure out - will the program indeed have spoken parts, or is the reference to words more about being inspired by the book?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    Where is the music from?
    I would imagine that they'll use music from the stage musical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C4Xq...04CF473C9B41DB
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    L'Equipe's article says they won't use the musical.
    It says a music from the Cirque du Soleil's Quidam will be used (it's Carrousel ; and Cottereau worked at the Cirque du Soleil), no detail for the rest.
    Last edited by Nmsis; 06-04-2013 at 10:34 PM.

vCash
    The musical "Le Petit Prince" was a huge flop. Most critics hated it, but it still sold tickets. Fabian said the music was "unlistenable" and he is right.
    It is a huge risk to take an off-ice artist as a choreographer. They are taking the risk of not being dancy enough and too theatrical. But that is who they are after all.
    Igor made them change the circular step sequence, transitions and the last part of the program.

vCash

Other than that, the idea sounds very intriguing and I'm looking forward to it.
    Regardless of how the musical may or may not have been great (I've no idea), thematically, this dance will be based on arguably THE greatest, most endearing, piece of children's literature everrrr. I am positive that it will not in any way shape or form resemble the style of a free dance that's a knock-off of a musical that itself was a knock-off of a mediocre Demi Moore movie ... in other words, I think we're safe.

My immediate reaction to this choice (when it was still a rumor) was oh obviously he'll be the Little Prince and she the Rose (such an unique and memorably depicted relationship), and then THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! I still stand by that sentiment - I think this program would be perfect for P/B and also a breath of fresh air amidst all the traditional stuff. Really hoping they pull off a medal in Sochi!

vCash
    One thing I couldn't figure out - will the program indeed have spoken parts, or is the reference to words more about being inspired by the book?
    Now that you mention it, it's not entirely clear from the way Nathalie phrases it. I just assumed when she said it that the program itself would include words, but it could be that they are just using the words to help with the choreography.

At any rate, I like at least the little snippets of music that we can hear in the background, and they sound pretty suitable for this theme.

ETA: http://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-artis...sa-rose/375988 Here is the L'Equipe article with a video that has more extracts from the program. This seems to indicate using passages from the book as a choreographic tool.

vCash
    Seems appropriate. Since Nathalie & Fabian are "unique in all the world."
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    The musical "Le Petit Prince" was a huge flop. Most critics hated it, but it still sold tickets. Fabian said the music was "unlistenable" and he is right.
    It is a huge risk to take an off-ice artist as a choreographer. They are taking the risk of not being dancy enough and too theatrical. But that is who they are after all.
    Igor made them change the circular step sequence, transitions and the last part of the program.
    They've already worked with him on Circus and Chaplin, and those turned out well My concern is that this will be too thematically similar to those earlier programs, good as they were. Bourzat said it's a bit like a combination of those two as well as Four Seasons - I'm curious how...

Thanks for the link, marysy. I'm glad Shpilband isn't tinkering too much with their choreography.

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    Now that you mention it, it's not entirely clear from the way Nathalie phrases it. I just assumed when she said it that the program itself would include words, but it could be that they are just using the words to help with the choreography.
    What she means is that (for the first time) they are transposing (translating/expressing) on the ice, words Julien Cottereau tells them, as well as their reading of the book, interpreting words with moves as opposed to interpret (only) an idea or a theme.

Bourzat said it's a bit like a combination of those two as well as Four Seasons
    He said it will be "halfway between Circus, 4 seasons and Chaplin". Not totally sure it really is that different from a combination, lol, but to me it has a different meaning from picking up pieces from previous FDs and mixing them together. It's more like following a trend they made, keeping the same spirit, but taking a (maybe only slightly) different route. Making new with old, recycling, is hardly their style anyway. But well, maybe I'm wrong
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post

He said it will be "halfway between Circus, 4 seasons and Chaplin". Not totally sure it really is that different from a combination, lol, but to me it has a different meaning from picking up pieces from previous FDs and mixing them together. It's more like following a trend they made, keeping the same spirit, but taking a (maybe only slightly) different route. Making new with old, recycling, is hardly their style anyway. But well, maybe I'm wrong
    As long as they're recycling their own ideas and not getting recycled Shpilband.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    As long as they're recycling their own ideas and not getting recycled Shpilband.
    They don't say that they're recycling anything. Fabian says "We needed something poetic, full of fantasy, somewhere in-between Circus, Four Seasons and Chaplin." How is that recycling?

Even before their program is out, they have managed to leave people scratching their heads. That's the voidy French, isn't it?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Did any team ever say they were recycling anything, aside from Torvill and Dean in 1994? Even the Duschenays didn't describe "Missing II" as recycled.

If they're recycling/building upon/reworking/getting inspiration from/"bringing to the next level" their prior programs, they're the only current team I'd be interested in seeing do this, if they ditch the Rolling Stones part. Hell, they can throw in some "Cats."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    This is fantastic news. Imo bronze was always theirs for the taking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    . Hell, they can throw in some "Cats."
    Yes and even a few cotton wool balls

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast