Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

vCash
    So what is Igor's team count at? Didn't Lynn and Logan move there too earlier this year?

vCash
    K&P are great, but I think they are too emotionally involved with W&P to be 100% in P/B's corner.
    Well, since I'm a W/P fan, I hope you're correct that they are emotionally involved in their career.

Poor P/B. In addition to injuries, and agonizingly close decisions due to just enough errors to cause problems, they have all the coaching drama on top of that. First they have a great coach in Zhulin, who is instructed to dump them (I think that's what I recall hearing; perhaps that's not correct), then IMO they have a great coaching team in Camerlengo/Krylova, but P/B are instructed to dump them. P/B are putting a brave face on the new situation, and I think it will work well for them, but they really have been through the emotional wringer over the past three seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    It seems to me last seasons results put them pretty darn close the upper echelon. P&B were injured so we can't evaluate C&L vis-a-vis them last season, but they finished ahead of B&S in the Free Dance at worlds and were neck-in-neck with them a lot. Top Four? Top Five? They are certainly ahead of WeaPo at this point. I think they are being under-rated by a lot of people.
    With W&P though they were just coming back from Kaitlyn's injury just as P&B were still dealing with Fabian's injury.

I do think that C&L have improved but with them I feel as if they have improved in smaller increments. When you compare C&L to their past selves then yes the difference is there but IMO comparing them to some of the other teams including an improved B&S, I still am not seeing Anna and Luca as a team who will be one of the top teams post Sochi. I think they could/will compete for medals but not the very top spot. Not even at Europeans.

Of course they could prove me wrong. I really like this team so I hope to see them have a similar career path to that of D&L starting with the 05/06 season. That one season when they come in looking like a different team.

I realize in icedance everything is a big if but there are a few teams who if those teams live up to their potential, at least on paper could pass C&L. B&S, W&P and even I&K.

Anyway, back on topic. For the first time since Worlds, I'm feeling really positive about P&B's Olympic season. I get why Pasquale would feel unhappy but again it was the French federation and not P&B who made the decision. Without Didier & co stepping in, I would think that Nathalie and Fabian would still be training with Angelika and Pasqaule. No matter who's decision it was, in the end I think the move to Igor is a smart move. Especially if P&B want to hold onto their shot at being on the podium in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    BTW and o/t, do we know for sure if Igor choreo'd C&B's Dr. Z FD? It looks more like Marina's work to me so I was wondering if it was possible that she did it before they left..
    Their bio has always listed Igor as their choreographer, & Igor did Chock & Zuerlein's Caberet FD, so I would be very surprised if Marina was the main person behind C&B's choreo this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Didn't he do Punsalan/Swallow's brilliant Tango FD in Nagano? They should have placed in the top three in at least the FD portion. Of course, tangos seem to be Igor's specialty.
    One of the best programs I have ever seen. Yes he did.

vCash
    Did he do Silverstein & Pekarek's Great Expectations FD or was that Liz Coates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0dxsVnrdw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Seriously. I feel like people are just repeating the same criticisms over and over for four seasons straight without acknowledging improvements made. This goes to almost every skater who has had some technical issues but made strides to improve. Repetition isn't truth.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    So what is Igor's team count at? Didn't Lynn and Logan move there too earlier this year?
    Yes, Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt and Chock/Bates are Shpilband's full-time U.S. teams, along with Tobias/Stagniunas (LTU), Plutowska/Gerber (POL) and now Pechalat/Bourzat (FRA). (It's a good thing 2014 U.S. Nationals is a week earlier than 2014 Europeans! ) Yura Min/Tim Koleto (he's new to ice dance) are a new team that hopes to represent Korea in the future.

Teams at 2013 Worlds that Shpilband was affiliated with included Cappellini/Lanotte (ITA) with Paolo Mezzadri, Riazanova/Tkachenko (RUS) with Alexei Gorshkov, Carron/Jones (FRA) with Marika Humphreys-Baranov, Heekin-Canedy/Dun (UKR) with Galit Chait and Gorshkov, Guignard/Fabbri (ITA) with Barbara Fusar-Poli, the Reeds (JPN) with Chait. Did I miss anyone?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Did he do Silverstein & Pekarek's Great Expectations FD or was that Liz Coates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0dxsVnrdw
    *Sigh* for what might have been with those two. I'm pretty sure Coates was (and remains) a technician, so I'd be surprised if the choreo were hers.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt and Chock/Bates are Shpilband's full-time U.S. teams, along with Tobias/Stagniunas (LTU), Plutowska/Gerber (POL) and now Pechalat/Bourzat (FRA). (It's a good thing 2014 U.S. Nationals is a week earlier than 2014 Europeans! ) Yura Min/Tim Koleto (he's new to ice dance) are a new team that hopes to represent Korea in the future.

Teams at 2013 Worlds that Shpilband was affiliated with included Cappellini/Lanotte (ITA) with Paola Mezzadri, Riazanova/Tkachenko (RUS) with Alexei Gorshkov, Carron/Jones (FRA) with Marika Humphreys-Baranov, Heekin-Canedy/Dun (UKR) with Galit Chait and Gorshkov, Guignard/Fabbri (ITA) with Barbara Fusar-Poli, the Reeds (JPN) with Chait. Did I miss anyone?
    Kolbe/Caruso, as they are coached by Barbara Fusar Poli too
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Kolbe/Caruso, as they are coached by Barbara Fusar Poli too
    Thank you! Though Caruso is unlikely to gain German citizenship for Sochi, I assume?

ETA: I see that Shpilband is listed on their web site with Skotnicky and Lohse (but not in their ISU bio maybe because they weren't at Worlds): http://www.kolbecaruso.com/the-team.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-22-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thank you! Though Caruso is unlikely to gain German citizenship for Sochi, I assume?

ETA: I see that Shpilband is listed on their web site with Skotnicky and Lohse (but not in their ISU bio maybe because they weren't at Worlds): http://www.kolbecaruso.com/the-team.html
    AFAIK there's a chance he could get it.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash

Thanks Sylvia and pingu. Are there any pairs or singles in the mix?

Ice dance will get interesting this season. I'm glad to see teams flocking to Igor. This is quite the 180 from last year when the guy didn't even know if he was going to have a rink. He is probably laughing all the way to the bank these days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    Thanks Sylvia and pingu. Are there any pairs or singles in the mix?

Ice dance will get interesting this season. I'm glad to see teams flocking to Igor. This is quite the 180 from last year when the guy didn't even know if he was going to have a rink. He is probably laughing all the way to the bank these days.
    I'm not surprised that Igor has landed on his feet the way he has. He is the main reason why the US has become a power in Ice Dancing and unless he got fired for some horrible reason other then Marina and him not getting along you knew top teams would soon come back to him.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    New article with quotes by Péchalat, Bourzat, Shpilband and Camerlengo: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    Reporter's notebook: Cappellini and Lanotte are not currently in Novi but plan to return. "Anna and Luca will be here as often as they can; they were here after worlds and they are coming back," Shpilband said ... Shpilband hopes to bring many of his teams to the 2013 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships in August. As of last week, he had not discussed Lake Placid with Péchalat and Bourzat.
    I can only hope

vCash
    I am hoping that this move for P/B brings them what they want and provides them with what they need. Staying healthy all season would also be a good thing for them. Wishing them nothing but the best.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    Well if we're lucky, the judges will finally fall out of love with the overrated V&M and D&W, bring their scores back to earth where they should be and we'll get a nice battle for the whole podium. I know it won't happen, but I can still dream can't I?
    One can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Because I have yet to see anything out of Camp Shpilband that is as interesting as most of P/B's past programs. And if they are going to him to get the big politicking push for the Olympic year, I imagine they have been instructed to do what he says.
    Shpilband isn't choreographing their programs, though. I guess the fear is that he's going to simplify them a lot. But at the end of the day, it might be necessary for them to deliver on the elements and show a lot of speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    The IJS does not seem to value transitions at all in ice dance
    Or in singles and pairs.

Kostner and Chan get the credit for the skating skills, IMO. The judges in general do not seem to care at all about the transitions (the problem might be, there's far too much for a single judge to process - TES and PCS judging should definitely get split).
    Last edited by Ziggy; 05-30-2013 at 03:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I am hoping that this move for P/B brings them what they want and provides them with what they need. Staying healthy all season would also be a good thing for them. Wishing them nothing but the best.
    I agree, I think they needed a change. I just don't think it was working for them. Despite winning the bronze at Worlds last year their programs haven't been all that well received lately and IMO aren't up to their potential. They are capable of so much more. I love them and I hope this season brings them nothing but joy and success.

vCash
    I also had a feeling that Krylova/Camerlengo were more invested emotionally in Weaver/Poje and that they were their number 1 team (of course I might be wrong, this was just a hunch).

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast