Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    They won their only world medal under Krylova and Camerlengo.
    Yeah but even after that Krylova said that most of that was because of Zhulin. She said that they had just begun to listen to her and that she looked forward to changing them more the next season.
    Granted they were still great in 2013 but I do feel that their world medal in 2012 was more Zhulin than her.

vCash
    Like many, I want to know the reaction of C/L.

Also, I wonder how this will affect Weaver/Poje. They have probably benefited from having Pechalat/Bourzat as training mates, but perhaps this will mean greater focus on them from their coaches for this season.

The coaching dramas in ice dance over the past two seasons almost match the dramas from the period of the three great Russian divas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Like many, I want to know the reaction of C/L.

Also, I wonder how this will affect Weaver/Poje. They have probably benefited from having Pechalat/Bourzat as training mates, but perhaps this will mean greater focus on them from their coaches for this season.

The coaching dramas in ice dance over the past two seasons almost match the dramas from the period of the three great Russian divas.
    I think that WP being the leaders in their team will be good for their confidence going into the olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Delobel/Schoenfelder's creative free dances seemed to have served them well. It was the other phases and leaving points off of the table that hurt them (and IMO, politick for Grushina/Gonchorov).
    When Del/Schoen won their only world title in 2008, it was with (in my opinion) one of their most boring FDs. Yeah, they had all the sign language stuff, but it was a very typical, well-worn romantic theme. :bleah: I would MUCH rather they'd have won a world title with their Untouchables FD (Although at least they had the Gavotte for their OD that season; that was cool and unlike any of the other folk ODs out there that season.)
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post

Meeting with Igor
    Last week. His political power is talked about, but most of all he is a super technician. There are 8 months left before OG, it's now that we have to learn new things. We want to give ourselves all the chances.

Anjelika thought it would be better for us to stay, but wished us the best. Pasquale was very mean. I know him for 13 years, and he reacted very badly. I can understand that he is very upset, but that's the game. Not easy to say goodbye, but we have to thinkg about our career.

[B]Os.

I am most disappointed to hear about this. I hope for the sake of the relationship that apparently meant a lot to Pechelat things can be resolved. I can understand Pasquale being upset. He might have turned away other work because of the French or perhaps put a lot of stock in being the one to coach them to an Olympic medal. Still, I believe that Being cruel or mean was not necessary.

P/B- It sounds like they are open to Igor's leadership. They are experienced dancers so they probably absorb quickly. I do wish them the best. Igor sounds like he is committed to success. Sending music to judges etc. what a professional. I have met him before and he has a kindness that is opposite the arrogance you would expect. Pasquale would slam a door in your face...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    Yeah, and as you can see I had completely forgotten about it! I don't think that had much to do with the coaches but more with them finally not effing it.

I'm kind of surprised they weren't doing some of these things with their previous coaches!

You know, Fabian will never be the most expressive guy on the ice, it's just the way he is, but there's a lot that is lost on tv so depending on whether you've seen hm person or not, maybe is he is not has bad as you think.
    Your point does sober me while removing my optimism lol. For the record, I have seen them skate live many times and what you see on television is Fabian being "revved up". I'm still excited about this coaching change and especially happy that they seem to be willing to absorb Igors knowledge. If they play their cards right they could be great. They definitely (well Nathalie at least) has a charm that is infectious.

I'm hoping that Igor has experience working with teams with this type of injury. He will probably be able to make more intelligent training decisions. He strikes me as the kind of guy who is well connected so he might know a medical/sports professional that can assist. How is Fabian's injury anyway?

vCash
    Relevant P/B excerpt from the April 19th French skaters article posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3905627
    "It is now coming back steadily," Bourzat said. "The whole muscle [his injury was a detached abductor muscle in early January] seems to be all right. It is just very sensitive at the moment, so we try not to push too much on it."

"Actually, we have taken the time we had to prepare for the Olympic season earlier than usual," Péchalat said. "It was so frustrating for us to be forced not to skate that we figured that we needed to think ahead to avoid being depressed. We had finalized our concept at the Cup of China, in the fall of 2012, and we made our music choices last February."

"We are skating all day long now," Bourzat explained. "We have one week [in France] to create our two programs, and that should work."

The duo has elected to create their programs with their longtime choreographer, Laurie May, and renowned comedian and clown Julien Cottereau, with whom they created their "Circus" and "Charlie Chaplin" routines.

"For us, this is the best time of the season," both Péchalat and Bourzat emphasized. "We love creating new programs, building new characters, devising a storyline."

"We should announce our programs at the end of June," Péchalat said. "Right after we come back from our gala tour in Switzerland, Japan and China."
    Their upcoming shows are "Art on Ice" (June 1-2 in Japan) and "Artistry on Ice" (4 shows, June 8-16 in Taiwan and China).

ETA this P/B interview (May 8) from when they were in Geneva, Switzerland for "Music on Ice" in late April: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...echalatbourzat
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-21-2013 at 03:48 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    That is until now. Bye bye interesting P&B
    Why are you assuming that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    When Del/Schoen won their only world title in 2008, it was with (in my opinion) one of their most boring FDs. Yeah, they had all the sign language stuff, but it was a very typical, well-worn romantic theme. :bleah: I would MUCH rather they'd have won a world title with their Untouchables FD (Although at least they had the Gavotte for their OD that season; that was cool and unlike any of the other folk ODs out there that season.)
    I actually love their Piano FD. I'm usually a fan of their more creative work, but I think I'd rank The Piano up there. Maybe not as high as their Frida FD or their Masquerade 2006 FD but higher than their Untouchables FD actually which didn't really do anything for me. I think for me, my fandom of the DelSchoes was less about creativity (though it played a big factor) but more to do with their skating skills and execution. I just loved their soft knees and deep edges. They were incredibly smooth on the ice.

Anyway, I guess it's worth noting that they too lost the FD in 2008 to Virtue/Moir, but based on TES.

Creativity and doing out-of-the-box routines are great, but if you're a top team and want to medal, you better make sure their technique and difficulty are high.

vCash
    A brave and smart decision. It really is going to be a great battle for the bronze. Between the french, russian and italian teams.

vCash
    Well if we're lucky, the judges will finally fall out of love with the overrated V&M and D&W, bring their scores back to earth where they should be and we'll get a nice battle for the whole podium. I know it won't happen, but I can still dream can't I?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    Well if we're lucky, the judges will finally fall out of love with the overrated V&M and D&W, bring their scores back to earth where they should be and we'll get a nice battle for the whole podium. I know it won't happen, but I can still dream can't I?
    If things change to the point where D&W and V&M are battling for anything other than the top two spots and their and other teams' level of skating stay more-or-less the same, then D&W and V&M will go from overrated to underrated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    If things change to the point where D&W and V&M are battling for anything other than the top two spots and their and other teams' level of skating stay more-or-less the same, then D&W and V&M will go from overrated to underrated.
    To each their own. I've never agreed that D&W and V&M are 15 points better than the likes of P&B (just as one example), but that's what the judges have perpetuated over the last quad. I guess I'm just sick of both and want some massive upsets to happen.

Peoples used to complain about Ice Dance being boring and predictable in the past, but it's been worse over this last quad than at any other time imo.

vCash
    You mean more predictable than when Grishuk/Platov went undefeated for four seasons in a row? Or Bestemianova/Bukin? Torvil/Dean? Even Navka/Kostomorov from 2004-2006?

At least this time, we have two teams on top who are trading titles.

vCash
    Yes, when you like neither team that are deemed the co-Patrick Chan's of dance, it's mighty boring. When it's clear whose turn it is to win a certain competition that does make it predictable.

So yeah, I'm gonna be optimistic (or delusional depending on how you see it) that a team other than V&M or D&W win the Olympics. That's my right.

Anyway, enough derailing of the thread. I think this is a good move for P&B. As has been said, they tend to make really weird technical mistakes and Shpilband can help with that.

vCash
    Both VM and DW will have gone undefeated for 5 seasons in a row except to each other! 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014!! If D/W continue after 2014 who knows how many seasons! 6, 7, 8 more??? It's not even close! Big deal with N/K 4 point victory at the 2006 Olympics! Now all victories are 15-20 points! Everyone stinks but VM and DW to judges.

Good luck to P/B!! They are so great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    V&M are in a league of their own; it is D&W that are totally over-rated. Their basic skating technique is non-existent; they pick across the ice and don't have any depth of edge, and they just skip and hop into and and between their elements. They have no extension or refinement in their movements; their lifts are basic and are made to fool the eye that they are difficult, when they are not.

DW shouldn't even be even in the top 10, much less World Champs.

P&B, W&P, C&L, B&S, heck, even that other Russian team (names elude me at the moment), those of the Ghost-hot-mess-of-a-program-infamy, have solid technique. They're not hacking it it like D & W.

I've always liked P & B, but they always see to falter in big competitions and they lack V & M's refinement. But their basic technique is beautiful, and they always come up with good programs; looking forward to their programs this season.
    Last edited by marathongirl76; 05-21-2013 at 05:18 AM.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marathongirl76 View Post
    DW shouldn't even be even in the top 10, much less World Champs......They're not hacking it it like D & W.

Please pass whatever you've been drinking.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Why are you assuming that?
    Because I have yet to see anything out of Camp Shpilband that is as interesting as most of P/B's past programs. And if they are going to him to get the big politicking push for the Olympic year, I imagine they have been instructed to do what he says.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    Isabel had a baby like 7or 8 months before the Olympics as i recall?
    That was in 2010, not 2006. D/S weren't in contention, as hard as they tried, in Vancouver, due to her pregnancy. They should have been on the podium in 2006.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast