Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Double post --

vCash
    I think S&S are an amazing pair and I love what they've done over the years (though I wasn't particularly taken with their programmes this past season). I think it's genuinely exciting to have V&T battling it out with them because I think having close rivals when you'r that good really pushes you to be better (Yags and Plush, and dare I even mention B&S and S&P).

I think where S&S stand out from V&T is their choreography and the concepts of their programmes - they appear more in tune with one another, compared to V&T where I find Tatiana beautiful, clean and understated, whereas Max is a little hammy and over the the top - they need to meet somewhere in the middle (or my my personal preference would be for Max to reign it in a bit and bring it more in line with Tatiana).

My hope is that S&S have two programmes that showcase the beauty of something like the Mission, and the creativity and interesting side of Pina - really showcase their talent.

I love both S&S and V&T and hope that both have great programmes for the Olympic season and that they give us plenty to dissect and analyse after each competition.

Again, dare I even mention it, but the rivalry that was set up between S&P and B&S was equally phenomenal (up until the judging scandal in SLC), and despite it being popular to dump on S&P these days I think the season or two leading up to the Olympics was great for pairs skating having those two stand out pairs competing and I feel the same about S&S and V&T and see some parallels between the couples.

vCash
    Maybe I will be the only one to mention, but 'You'll never walk alone' could have been a great programme if it wouldn't have been dumped that fast (don't know if they would act like that again, now, almost 4 years later). the concept and the dramatic building of this program was brilliant, this could have been their absolutely triumph march, if skated clean in vancouver.

now i fear, there might be no triumph in sochi either, but s/s remain as a brilliant pair.

as to the programmes. i pray for an olympic short like 'send in the clowns'. this was absolutely faboulous and heart-warming.
    schindler's list is my fav LP. never realized such silence during a program in the arena.

all the best for those 3 for the upcoming season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    Maybe I will be the only one to mention, but 'You'll never walk alone' could have been a great programme if it wouldn't have been dumped that fast (don't know if they would act like that again, now, almost 4 years later). the concept and the dramatic building of this program was brilliant, this could have been their absolutely triumph march, if skated clean in vancouver.

now i fear, there might be no triumph in sochi either, but s/s remain as a brilliant pair.

as to the programmes. i pray for an olympic short like 'send in the clowns'. this was absolutely faboulous and heart-warming.
    schindler's list is my fav LP. never realized such silence during a program in the arena.

all the best for those 3 for the upcoming season!
    Same with Out of Africa, no ? I loved Out of Africa.
    Anyway, I agree with you that there might be no triumph in Socci either. Too bad because they are fabulous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Same with Out of Africa, no ? I loved Out of Africa.
    Anyway, I agree with you that there might be no triumph in Socci either. Too bad because they are fabulous.
    No, Out of Africa would never have been a triumph march it would have been a silent, emotional, in some way classic routine to their title.

You'll never walk alone had that absolut dramatic power, great ending which could have lead two tremendous standing ovations and a crowd out of their minds, if it had been skated well (ok, maybe would have happend with put of africa perhaps )

vCash
    Interesting to hear everyone's favorite programs and reflections about this great team. Thanks!

Well, if S/S don't win Olympic gold, they will not be the first extraordinarily gifted skaters who have contributed sooo much to the sport who did not get that (now in my mind, waayy over-rated) medal. I mean yeah to get it is huge, a crowning achievement, and finger-lickin' icin' on the cake, but it ain't everything, and not to get it certainly don't erase genius ... Maribel Vinson, Janet Lynn, Toller Cranston, Tai & Randy, Norbert Shramm, Ingo Steuer, Chen Lu, Midori Ito, Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, Michelle Kwan, Johnny Weir, Jeremy Abbott, et al.

I'm just interested in seeing S/S rise above obstacles and any physical limitations to achieve a great personal triumph with a powerful and magical performance that could transcend the ultimate skating event, and just provide wonderful moments to remember as the Swan Song to their eligible careers.

As to a music/ program choice, frankly I think it'd be cool and interesting to see what S/S and S could do with a retro-modern score to Othello -- or just an unusual alternative version of any traditional or classical score. Lots of different versions out there, especially in the theatrical sense ... In any case, Othello is surely an interesting theme/ story to explore in a uniquely different way on the ice. And what better team?

Such a program doesn't have to be cliche either. If S/S and S want to challenge themselves, IMHO, Othello has hugely more depth and interest than the annoyingly repetitive Bolero (even the Latin version they chose). Only the creative mind of Christopher Dean choreographing to ice dance was able to make Bolero compelling with unexpected visual shapes, moves, nuances and tension.

BTW, Jeschke, is there any vids available of S/S skating to You'll Never Walk Alone?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    BTW, Jeschke, is there any vids available of S/S skating to You'll Never Walk Alone?
    Yes, there is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpBDUNe3Ez0

vCash
    I'm ashamed to ask this, but, why did they change this LP in 2009 to Out of Africa ?
    Obviously, the mistakes at TEB were not because of the program. So, why did they decide to change it ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I'm ashamed to ask this, but, why did they change this LP in 2009 to Out of Africa ?
    Obviously, the mistakes at TEB were not because of the program. So, why did they decide to change it ?
    AFAIK Aljona didn´t liked the music and the program. The saying is that she also split from Ingo in the summer and maybe also that´s why she didn´t liked the program Ingon wanted so badly for this season? I don´t know! I only know that she didn´t liked the program and when they had so many mistakes, ´they changed it. I saw it at the Nebelhorn-Trophy that year and thought with more practice it could have been a great program for winning. But I also think it only works well when there are no mistakes. Then it can push you to gold :-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by care bear View Post
    Thanks for posting. I missed this program/ performance -- glad I did in retrospect . I do recall S/S had a lp that season which they had problems with before switching to Out of Africa. For making such a switch so late in the season, Out of Africa turned out to be a gem for them, even though they didn't skate it strongly at the Olympics. Maybe the TEB performance of You'll Never Walk Alone left such a sour taste in their mouths/ stomachs that they felt like scrapping it altogether. They were in third overall with that and clearly lost a lot of points due to the unusual technical miscues. Who were they up against at TEB that season?

I agree with those who feel YNWA would make a wonderful exhibition program.

Interesting, Laney, re the fact Ingo wanted the program so badly and Aliona was unhappy with it from the beginning, and that they had broken up during the summer before that season began. The title in and of itself is interesting in that respect. Maintaining a partnership together in skating is hard enough I suppose without a romantic involvement, although some in the skating world have been able to make such a combination work.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 05-24-2013 at 11:13 PM.

vCash
    They are an amazing team. Unfortunately in Sochi I think the best they can hope for is the silver medal. I hope they can get that and atleast upgrade their 2010 bronze.

vCash
    ^^ Yes, but of course that doesn't mean S/S are not good enough to win gold, just that the politics are seemingly not in their favor. In terms of their innovation, accomplishments, and unique on-ice style and charisma, S/S are better than V/T. Both teams are on a par technically, but V/T have the edge politically re the location of the Games and the powerful hold the Russian balletic tradition has had over pairs skating.

vCash
    I think the Russians have the technical edge right now. Throws and lifts are about equal. However the Russians have a way stronger twist, stronger jumps and spins with better unision and consistency, and nicer death spirals. The Russians should score higher on the first mark if both skate well. Not sure on the 2nd. I do agree the Germans if they skated clean and the Russians had a couple big mistakes, the Germans hould win, but the Russians will even then because of the Olympics in Russia and their momentum now as the dominant team. An Olympic Gold is not in the cards for Aliona and Robin sadly.

vCash
    ^^ We all know there are huge odds not in S/S favor, but never say never.

vCash
    I hope the Germans can win in part since I think the Russians would be forced to stay in another 4 years if they didnt win and I would like to see them do that since I dont see any other potential strong leaders should both teams retire. I think the Germans are retiring either way, but I think the top Russians will only stay if they are upset for the gold.

vCash
    ^^ All the more reason it would be wonderful if Aliona and Robin could win Olympic gold. Too bad the Olympics are not being held in Germany next year! Have they ever been held there?

It would be enjoyable to see Tatiana and Maxim grow as a team for another four years. They have not been together that long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by butyrskafanatic View Post
    I hope the Germans can win in part since I think the Russians would be forced to stay in another 4 years if they didnt win and I would like to see them do that since I dont see any other potential strong leaders should both teams retire. I think the Germans are retiring either way, but I think the top Russians will only stay if they are upset for the gold.
    I doubt the Russian will be "foreced" to stay and don't forget the team event. If V/T decide to compete twice they could win two medals.

vCash
    We published a little video clip with Aljona and Robin from Worlds on our homepage: Aljona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (GER): http://www.figureskating-online.com/...-szolkowy.html

vCash
    Thank you all for your comments and thoughts. I agree that Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov (RUS) have the advantage of the support of their strong Federation as they are the only realistic gold medal hope in figure skating. The Russian Figure Skating is throwing everything they have behind them, understandably. Tatiana and Maxim are a great team, obviously. Aljona and Robin need to skate lights out if they want to have a chance to win. They know this. I believe in them and in their chance to win Olympic gold. :-) Whatever happens, the most important thing is that it is a fair result and whoever wins, wins fair and square. We don't need any scandals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ All the more reason it would be wonderful if Aliona and Robin could win Olympic gold. Too bad the Olympics are not being held in Germany next year! Have they ever been held there?

It would be enjoyable to see Tatiana and Maxim grow as a team for another four years. They have not been together that long.
    1936 Winter games were in Germany. Intriguingly, that was the last time a four-time World Champion pairs figure skating team was unable to win Olympic gold (Emília Rotter / László Szollás). They lost to the home team (Maxi Herber / Ernst Baier - who went on to win 4 world titles as well).

butyrskafanatic, I'd argue that S/S have better throws than V/T. But I'd also argue that V/T have better lifts (position especially) than S/S. S/S should win on the second mark.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast