Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I hope S/S win, period.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,958
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7796
    Savchenko/Szolkowy are now on an exhibition tour in Asia. They first performed in Japan, then in Taipei and now they are in mainland China. Overall they are staying about four weeks in Asia.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wish US teams would stay together this long.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,570
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42553
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    I wish US teams would stay together this long.
    Some have. Longevity is one of the keys to pairs success at the highest level but not the only one.

    The Art on Ice, Japan show thread in GSD has videos of S/S (also photo links and translated articles): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3936581

    Artistry on Ice event thread in GSD has photos, etc.: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3934589
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^ Thanks for the info on S/S, Eislauffan and Sylvia.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Some have. Longevity is one of the keys to pairs success at the highest level but not the only one.
    Yes, among them are Tai and Randy; Starbuck and Shelley; Evora/ Ladwig; Marissa and Simon, so far. There are other teams too, including Meno and Sand (once they found each other, albeit after splitting from their former partners).

    Maybe now with what looks to be some improved and potentially very good partnerships formed among U.S. pairs, perhaps more of them will go the distance.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,958
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7796
    TV report on Aljona's visit in her native country Ukraine (in German). It shows Aljona with her family and sightseeing and includes footage of the little lake where she started skating
    http://www.mdr.de/mediathek/fernsehe...-dea15b49.html

    The report starts at 24.15 min

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    An der Siegessäule
    Posts
    41
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Happy 10th anniversary!

    Favorite program? Hard to pick one. What I like most about S/S is their DIVERSE routines/styles and them not working with the "big names" in choreography (besides this year) but with Ingo and thus showing something different. One can sense that everything is perfectly matched for that particular pair. So thank the three of them for bringing so much creativity to the the sport.

    If I have to pick a program: music-wise and costume-wise it is "Souvenir" and choreography-wise it is definitively "Pina". The most remarkable performance considering their today's rivalry is undoubtably the double pair skating of Aliona/Robin and Ingo/Tatiana @ Art on Ice 2009, Ingo replacing Tatiana's injured partner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBdR30pYik

    Also I can remember vividly the German National Championships in 2004. I was at the rink primarily to watch the relatively new Danish-German couple. I can not recall their names. Had not heard of S/S by that time. Was expecting another exquisite skate by the Danish girl (like in Euro's 1 or 2 years prior to that when she skated singles for Denmark) but after just a few seconds of the warm-up and having seen S/S just stroking it was immediately clear that there is a great new couple and indisputable German champions.

    So, you go Ukrainian girls, have a great battle next season eventually ending in an OGM for S/S.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,856
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4691
    Quote Originally Posted by vocal View Post
    Happy 10th anniversary!

    Favorite program? Hard to pick one. What I like most about S/S is their DIVERSE routines/styles and them not working with the "big names" in choreography (besides this year) but with Ingo and thus showing something different. One can sense that everything is perfectly matched for that particular pair. So thank the three of them for bringing so much creativity to the the sport.

    If I have to pick a program: music-wise and costume-wise it is "Souvenir" and choreography-wise it is definitively "Pina". The most remarkable performance considering their today's rivalry is undoubtably the double pair skating of Aliona/Robin and Ingo/Tatiana @ Art on Ice 2009, Ingo replacing Tatiana's injured partner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBdR30pYik

    Also I can remember vividly the German National Championships in 2004. I was at the rink primarily to watch the relatively new Danish-German couple. I can not recall their names. Had not heard of S/S by that time. Was expecting another exquisite skate by the Danish girl (like in Euro's 1 or 2 years prior to that when she skated singles for Denmark) but after just a few seconds of the warm-up and having seen S/S just stroking it was immediately clear that there is a great new couple and indisputable German champions.

    So, you go Ukrainian girls, have a great battle next season eventually ending in an OGM for S/S.
    You speak of Mikkeline Kierkgaard and Norman Jeschke. How can you forget the name? This could have been a great match too, shame she got injured that bad.

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    An der Siegessäule
    Posts
    41
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    You are absolutely right, Jeschke. And, yes, shame on me (I am more into singles). I guess you are related to Norman?!

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,856
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4691
    Quote Originally Posted by vocal View Post
    You are absolutely right, Jeschke. And, yes, shame on me (I am more into singles). I guess you are related to Norman?!
    No, I just hate to find good nicknames and in a skating forum i thought, maybe i should just take one of those wasted german talents

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    555
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    You speak of Mikkeline Kierkgaard and Norman Jeschke. How can you forget the name? This could have been a great match too, shame she got injured that bad.
    Agree. Kierkgaard was absolutely lovely.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    An der Siegessäule
    Posts
    41
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Especially her appearances in 2000s Euro's and World's were fabulous.

  13. #53

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,570
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42553
    Wheee, Grand Prix Final GOLD medalists!

    British Eurosport videos:
    Short program
    Free skate

    ETA these lovely comments from the other S/S thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    ... they've done every program possible and then some and always seem to fight like tigers when people count them out. I'm going to miss them when they're gone, they've been nothing but a breath of fresh air since that voidy SP they debuted back in 05-06.
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    Thrilled for S/S today. That's the team I know and love.

    Funny I feel the same way Karpenko. ... To your last sentence I agree 100%. They have been one of the greatest, they have done it all,tried it all, never shyed away from anything. They have done the outrageous, the complex, the dramatic, the beautiful, the heart-wrenching and I've loved every minute of it! They are one of a kind and I will miss them tremendously when they retire, the will leave a big hole no doubt, but this sport, and pairs in general is better and stronger for having had them around. I just feel so lucky we got to have them for so long, yet it's gone by, like everything, much too fast.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-07-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in the centre
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,556
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2426
    I'm so delighted they won the GPF! It made my day .

    Quote Originally Posted by vocal View Post
    HThe most remarkable performance considering their today's rivalry is undoubtably the double pair skating of Aliona/Robin and Ingo/Tatiana @ Art on Ice 2009, Ingo replacing Tatiana's injured partner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBdR30pYik
    Wow, I've never seen it . Battle of the clones .

  15. #55
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    15,034
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    42821
    Quote Originally Posted by vocal View Post
    The most remarkable performance considering their today's rivalry is undoubtably the double pair skating of Aliona/Robin and Ingo/Tatiana @ Art on Ice 2009, Ingo replacing Tatiana's injured partner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBdR30pYik
    What's also surprising to me is how well Ingo can still skate. That's a great number.

    Congrats to S&S on their GPF gold. It was wonderful to see them skating their free looking so genuinely happy.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Perth, ON
    Posts
    473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2212
    The GPF could have made three of the Olympic favourites - Davis/White, Volosozhar/Trankov, and Chan - virtual locks for Gold but know it seems as though there is definite competition with pairs and men and the ice dance event has tightened.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •