Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahashi Road to Sochi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    Don't worry, I'm perfectly rational. Though what I'm about to say might make you a little crazy.
    You are right, your post made me crazy, made me laugh like crazy, LOL. That's entertaining, thanks. You tried hard to hide your embarrassment, but it showed that you had no idea what's good skating. LOL

vCash
    What are the "5 categories" in presentation marks in 6.0 system?! About 6.0, here you go
    Actually, I shouldn't laugh, . You really went to look for that "5 categories", that's sort of cute.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    You are right, your post made me crazy, made me laugh like crazy, LOL. That's entertaining, thanks. You tried hard to hide your embarrassment, but it showed that you had no idea what's good skating. LOL
    You know what? I'm begining to think that you probably know nothing about the word "productive discussion". Venomous personal attacks are probably all you are capable of. I'm not going to entertain you for such meaningless comments.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Actually, I shouldn't laugh, . You really went to look for that "5 categories", that's sort of cute.
    So you really think that I have believed you, and went to search for those 5 categories? Oh, my! Go ahead to think that way if that could make you feel less embarrassed in introducing it in the first place! I shouldn't have tried to make the exchange more productive by giving you a link and discussing them. I knew in the beginning that you've mixed them up even though I'm not that familiar with 6.0. I have no embarrassment in admitting that I'm not familiar with something. I'm willing to learn unlike you who just pretend to know something but you actually don't know.
    Last edited by Eyre; 05-24-2013 at 05:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    Any news on Dai's programs for the upcoming season?

vCash

vCash
    I have not gone through the thread but I do not think "showmanship" does not really translate the original word either.

The word "hanayaka-sa" derives from "flower", and dictionaries suggest words like flowery, flamboyant, brilliant, gorgeous, gaiety, sparkle, gaily, rich, and cheerful. When they list too many words it often suggests they could not find the right word in English.

vCash
    Thank you Midori!

Wouldn't "beauty" have worked better than "gorgeousness" in this translation?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    Thank you Midori!

Wouldn't "beauty" have worked better than "gorgeousness" in this translation?
    Mmm, I do not know. To me the original word expresses atmosphere, that is often created by the presence of gorgeous flowers, not the quality of the flowers themselves. "Beauty" sounds like the latter.

But when Daisuke was tweeting, his words are very hard to decode to many Japanese... so, heaven knows what he really meant.

vCash
    Dai is indeed gorgeous and a real showman (I think people are confusing semantics with negative connotations of the word showmanship as if it appears insincere). I wonder if he must be African in his previous life, the guy sure can move for an Asian. Got that bit of the Michael Jackson genes in him, utterly genius and free when he is ON.

(But when I thought a bit more about it deeply; the reverse might also be true. Michael Jackson did look increasingly Japanese as he gots older, so many he got some Asian genes in his previous life).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    Mmm, I do not know. To me the original word expresses atmosphere, that is often created by the presence of gorgeous flowers, not the quality of the flowers themselves. "Beauty" sounds like the latter.

But when Daisuke was tweeting, his words are very hard to decode to many Japanese... so, heaven knows what he really meant.
    True, he's quite a riddle!

vCash
    Takahashi was right in a sense. But that is not all about figure skating, isn't it? Afterall, showmanship has only counted maxium 30% in scoring. Should scoring system emphasizes the showmanship more? I don't think so. I think many fans have given showmanship more weight than it actually has. That is one of the main reasons that there have been great conflicts between the judging system and the fans.
    After Sochi Takahashi will probably retire, so it´s obvious why the showmanship and attracting the public are the most important things to him. In the post competitive life of a skater, which is obviously longer, showmanship counts 100% and they have to be prepared for the moment when medals, judges, scores won´t matter anymore. Showmanship=fans=shows=$$$$.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    After Sochi Takahashi will probably retire, so it´s obvious why the showmanship and attracting the public are the most important things to him. In the post competitive life of a skater, which is obviously longer, showmanship counts 100% and they have to be prepared for the moment when medals, judges, scores won´t matter anymore. Showmanship=fans=shows=$$$$.
    Except he also said in an interview published this season in the Japanese press that he didn't think he "had what it takes" (I think his words were "I'm not charming enough" ) to be a show skater. I have my doubts he'll stay away completely for various reasons ($$ being realistically one of them, but hardly just that), but this actually echoes what he said several times about really wanting to be a coach and do something about the problem of rinks shortage in Japan

Besides, if you look at his skating, I think you'll find out that "showmanship" and skating for audiences were essential part of his skating long before retirement was in the cards (which I guess is explained both by his approach to the sport and by the approach to figure skating by his long-time coach, Utako Nagamitsu)
    Last edited by rayhaneh; 05-31-2013 at 07:28 PM.

vCash
    Nothing I have ever heard from Dai in other interviews convinces me that he would have used either "gorgeousness" or "showmanship" to describe his own skating. He is too humble for that... and he takes his skating too seriously. Someone suggested "flair." That is at least believable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12