Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Your favorite year

Was there one year in the recent or not-so-recent past that seemed particularly rich in favorite programs during that season that you remember most fondly -- as much for the quality of the choreography as for how cleanly any of the programs were skated at big events?

Links welcome; I'm sorry I don't have time to provide mine at the moment.

For ice dance specifically, I'm going to go with either 1991 or 1992. I'd have to think more about other disciplines.

vCash
    1997- Grischuk/Platov Libertango!!!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8HIFeB04DA Krilova/O Masquerade Waltz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtcrMzot9hc
    Last edited by lala; 05-29-2013 at 09:02 PM.

vCash

vCash
    edit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Of course, I forgot Klimova-Ponomarenko...I also loved that program..

vCash
    I really enjoyed the 2001 WC. I'm biased because that's when I started watching skating so it brings back nostalgia. It was an outstanding ladies and pairs event in particular. The ladies short and frees were all cleanly skated with amazing performances: Kwan skating perfect QC and LP and to East of Eden for the SP, Slutskaya's SP, Nikodinov's SP, Hughes' 7-triple FP, Butyrskaya's FP. Suguri also burst on the scene with great programs (including very high technical SP scores dipping no lower than 5.5), and Fontana made the top ten. In pairs, we had B/S, S/P, S/Z, P/T, T/M/ and Z/S all skating essentially clean and engaging FPs (except for Jamie's singled axel). The men and dance were no slouch as well. In particular I enjoyed the middle-ranked dance FDs - L/T, D/S, D/L, and D/S.

The 2004 WC is probably one of the best overall competition across all disciplines. The ladies SP that year could be the most competitive in history. I can't believe Suguri's SP - which was great and could be in the top 3 in most other years - was ranked 7th, and probably appropriately so. The top five men's FPs were all outstanding as well. In pairs, the top three all skated lights out FDs, and there were many clean shorts as well.

These were my favorite two large competitions with quality skating, though my favorite time was 2001-2002 when I first got into skating. I definitely enjoyed this years before IJS sullied (IMO) the enjoyablity of skating.

vCash
    I loved 1993. It was the first time I watched worlds in full. I had watched parts of 1992 but Kurt was not Kurt, Brasseur and Eisler had a terrible free and ladies was not well skated.
    In 1993 Kurt brought out Casablanca, Brasseur and Eisler finally skated clean and won, Elvis was starting to get some artistry, I enjoyed Usova and Zhulin, it was the introduction of Bourne and Kraatz, loved Marcus Christensen at Canadians pushing to get on the podium.
    Great results for Canada at worlds with everyone but B&K in the top 10. We had the whole flashback to 1962 thing going on in Prague. For me , it was magical.

Apologies for the ramble...

vCash
    The men's short programs of the 2009/10 season were amazing.

Yannick Ponsero's raucous flamenco
    Amodio's soulful Munich
    Kozuka's rollicking Hendrix
    Abbott's sinew and grace
    Takahashi's flair and musicality
    Vaughn Chipeur's exciting Satriani
    Shawn Sawyer's delicious tango
    Stephane Lambiel's Tell
    Patrick Chan had his Exilados, and while it was the same program as the year previous, it was intriguingly recontextualized outwards.

vCash
    1907. Madge Syers. Head bitch in charge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Was there one year in the recent or not-so-recent past that seemed particularly rich in favorite programs during that season that you remember most fondly -- as much for the quality of the choreography as for how cleanly any of the programs were skated at big events?

Links welcome; I'm sorry I don't have time to provide mine at the moment.

For ice dance specifically, I'm going to go with either 1991 or 1992. I'd have to think more about other disciplines.
    Agree about ice dance. The early 90s were just a fantastic time for ice dance in general.

vCash
    1998 and 1997!!

vCash
    1911, when Lily Kronberger changed the sport by showing up to Worlds at Troppau with her own band.
    1908 was pretty cool too.

vCash
    Men from 1995-96. I'm just going to link some of my favorites. There were of course other good skates that year, but with programs that were less interesting to me choreographically.

Short programs

Ilia Kulik

Scott Davis

(evidence toward my claim that Tatiana Tarasova and Kathy Casey were mistresses of the serpentine step sequence)

Dan Hollander

Michael Tyllesen

Aleksei Urmanov

Viacheslav Zagorodniuk

Long programs

Sebastien Britten

Rudy Galindo

Eric Millot

Igor Pashkevich

Andrejs Vlascenko

Aleksei Urmanov

Michael Weiss

Viacheslav Zagorodniuk

Special mention exhibition
    Alexander Abt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minuet View Post
    I loved 1993. It was the first time I watched worlds in full. I had watched parts of 1992 but Kurt was not Kurt, Brasseur and Eisler had a terrible free and ladies was not well skated.
    In 1993 Kurt brought out Casablanca, Brasseur and Eisler finally skated clean and won, Elvis was starting to get some artistry, I enjoyed Usova and Zhulin, it was the introduction of Bourne and Kraatz, loved Marcus Christensen at Canadians pushing to get on the podium.
    Great results for Canada at worlds with everyone but B&K in the top 10. We had the whole flashback to 1962 thing going on in Prague. For me , it was magical.

Apologies for the ramble...
    93 was the first time I watched Worlds too and have been hooked ever since for many of the same reasons you mentioned. It also introduced me to lovely and charming Prague as well and I swore one day I would go, same with the 94 Olys in Norway and I'm lucky enough to say I made it to both places and they're both better than I ever could've imagned.
    97 as well, very memorable especially the ice dance and Elvis had a great year reclaiming his world title, it was the last season I really enjoyed his skating. More recenty I really enjoyed the 2009/10 season.

vCash
    I found 2009-2010 great for all disciplines. 1998 and 2002 as well (not so much 2006, for some reason). 1992 was awesome for ice dance. Really, all of the Olympic years have some pretty awesome programs, as skaters generally save their best ideas for Olympic years.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    For me, it was 2002-2003. Michelle went 5-0 in competitions, had clearcut National and Worlds victories. After the disappointment of SLC, it was a great year to be a Kwan fan.

vCash
    ^^ She truly gave us all a tremendous gift that season, but she's also my Hero for All Seasons.

1996: Chen Lu, Michelle Kwan, Rudy Galindo

1989 Worlds: Midori Ito

1979 Worlds: Tai and Randy

1986 Worlds: Brian B and Debi T

1988 Olympics: Brian B and Midori

2004: Johnny Weir U.S. Nationals and Worlds, plus in the fall his TEB performances

2006 Olympics: Johnny Weir short program; Matt Savoie long program

2010: I agree with Proustable that the men's short programs were outta sight. I especially enjoyed Dai's, Jeremy's, Johnny's and Stephane's
    (Honorable Mention: Mirai Nagasu's amazing sp at the Olympics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2R_HqZnz4)

2012: Jeremy Abbott's fun short program and exquisite free program
    (also Dai's great programs and Meryl's and Charlie's FD)
    Last edited by aftershocks; 05-30-2013 at 02:38 PM.

vCash
    For me the stand out year is 2006-2007 with the ladies. Not so much in favourite choreography but in terms of most exciting! Due to the high standard of the top ladies!

Especially at worlds!
    Yuna, Mao, Miki, Carolina, Yukari and Kimmie

That years worlds was most exciting for ladies and is a stand out year for me.

But favourite programs wise it would have to be the last 2 season. I have really liked most of the ladies programs except for the russian ladies (excluding Ksenia, I like her!)

vCash
    2001 was a good year for the ladies. Kwan had East of Eden and Song of the Black Swan and experimented with Rush and Miraculous Mandarin. Hughes had Vocalise. Nikodinov had Sleeping Beauty. Slutskaya had Culture. Suguri had Jupiter. Liashenko reused Grieg.

The only bad takeaway was the battle of the Don Quixotes...

vCash
    I dislike the music of Don Quixote to begin with -- the phrasing of the most used passages is just too obvious and insults my intelligence.

Nevertheless there have been some excellent programs to that music, thanks (or no thanks) to John Curry's masterpiece inspiring other artistically inclined skaters to emulate his choice.

Slutskaya's and Hughes's were not among them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast