vCash

USFSA vs. Skate Canada's Levels of Skating

I have a question for anyone who may know. I have a friend who is moving to the USA (lives in Canada) and we are trying to figure out what equivalent level she would skate in the USA. She skates Senior Silver STARskate here. What level would she skate in the USA and could someone please explain to me how the US "test stream" system works? Thanks so much!

vCash
    USFS only has one test structure; the level you pass is your competition level. Each test has two parts: Moves In the Field and Free Skate. You must pass the MIF portion before you can take the free skate. The USFS website has the test requirements for each level.

As far as I know there is no crossover between USFS and Skate Canada tests below the gold level. So your friend would have to start at the beginning of the USFS test structure and take all of the tests up to her current level. (Yes, it's a pain and expensive. I do remember seeing a girl take nine tests in one day one summer so she could qualify for Regionals so it can be done.)

And if it's any comfort, I believe that a USFS skater moving to Canada would have to do the same thing.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    There are useful links in the Resources box: http://www.usfsa.org/Clubs.asp?id=353 (the Judges Test Panel Forms list the required elements for each test and level)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    One option is to remain a member of a Skate Canada club and look for non qualifying competitions that have a Skate Canada sanction. Some of the border clubs close to Canada will get the Canadian sanction. Then she could slot herself in to where she thinks she fits. Here is an announcement to look at from Michigan that would be like this: http://www.sk8stuffmore.com/comps/13/13aa_r1.pdf

vCash
    Some of the coaches in my club (in Canada) have test qualifications from both the US and Canada, but they had to test each separately. Most of them took the US tests while they were competitive skaters and were doing summer schools in the US, and I think at the time there was some sort of USFSA/Skate Canada sanction that allowed them to take US tests while remaining members of Skate Canada. Some of them did it just for fun, and to have something different to work towards during the summer, and others did it so they could have some US qualifications if they later wanted to coach in the US. But like zaphyre14 describes, they had to start from the very basic tests in the US, regardless of what test level they had achieved in Canada.

vCash
    Awesome, thank you all so much!

vCash
    These sorts of questions can always be sent to U.S. Figure Skating's general Member Services email -- memberservices@usfigureskating.org . Kathy Drevs is often the one who answers, and is fabulous about giving you the correct, verified answer. So if your friend hasn't figured this out for certain yet -- she can get a definite answer by emailing that address.