Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    That was wonderful to watch!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Can;t wait until I can do this event so I can say I competed against Midori Ito.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    UHHHH!!! What a JOY!!!

She steals my heart every. single. time. I couldn't love her more if I tried

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    UHHHH!!! What a JOY!!!

She steals my heart every. single. time. I couldn't love her more if I tried

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Lord knows I've needed a pick me up lately and who should provide it but my first and my ultimate favourite ladies skater Midori Ito. How can you not adore her? It speaks volumes for her talent that she is able to do this at 43 despite barely skating any more as well the horrendous injuries she has suffered over the years. This is a girl who was doing 5-6 triple LP's in 1980 aged 10 and 11, suffered at least three broken ankles and heaven knows what else we never heard about as a teenager and was completely beaten up come Albertville. And yet here she is still doing a killer double axel, her famous Y-spin and still sharing her joy and once-in-a-lifetime gift with us all. I'm so grateful to her - she has given skating so much over the years.
    This.

Midori

vCash
    And hot damn if that doesn't make me want to brush the spiders off my skates and start working on my measly little single flip again! She's an inspiration to anyone - any age, any level - who wants to skate.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Midori
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    floskate, thanks for speaking for many of us!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    She couldn't get more adorable if she tried. Also, DANG she is fast!! And made the 2a look easy.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    My favorite part is the:
    - Camel Spin
    - Spiral
    - Serpentine Step sequence
    - Split jump
    - 2T
    - Back Crossovers
    - Spread Eagle
    - Combo Spin

Wow! That's a lot of content ... and blended in a way only Midori does but never gets enough credit for.

ETA: I get it now, Aussie. The spiral plus steps is a choreography sequence.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 05-21-2013 at 10:31 PM.

vCash
    It's not really a "serpentine step sequence" in the sense of that term pre-IJS and in the early years of IJS when there was a SeSt code. Aside from the spiral, the curves don't get near the side boards so that the sequence makes an S shape that fills the whole length and width of the rink.

It's basically an end-to-end sequence with several smaller curves in both directions. Which is all that the current rules require.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uejr_-fJcUo

Different perspective ...

vCash
    Article about the competition written by a member of USFS' Adult Skating Committee: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Hosted by Deutsche Eislauf-Union and held at Eislaufzentrum Oberstdorf, the event boasted the largest participation in its history, with 332 skaters from 25 countries entered in free skate, interpretive, ice dancing and pairs competitions. The event also included seven synchronized skating teams. U.S. athletes compete in 25 events (46 starts) in ladies, men's, pairs and ice dancing.

In Midori Ito's third appearance at this event, she came away with the title, scoring a whopping 70.74 points. Bettina Keil of Germany was second with 58.43, while U.S. competitor Priscilla Heaton took bronze with 44.24. Ito is the 1989 world champion, 1992 Olympic silver medalist and the first woman to land a triple-triple combination and a triple Axel in competition.

In all, the U.S. took four gold medals, three silver and six bronze. Gold-medal performances included U.S. championship adult dance champions Trisha Hessinger and Chuen-Gun Lee, and first-time international competitor Ian Catindig ,who took gold in both of his events.

"I'll never forget the experiences I've had, from making new friends to following the free-roaming cows," Catindig said. "I also finally met one of my skating idols, Midori Ito, and chatted with Carolina Kostner. I'll cherish this week forever!"
    Skate Canada's press release/article about their competitors with a list of medalists, plus a link to a photo galley at the bottom: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12