Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

How can Elizaveta Tuktamysheva improve her PCS scores and SP consistency?

New article on Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. It Reads:-

2013 European bronze medalist Elizaveta Tuktamysheva...has begun preparations for the upcoming season.

Working on new programs, she toured with the Ice Theatre of Natalia Bestemianova and Igor Bobrin in Korea at the beginning of May.

In the process of working on her new short program, the skater collaborated with a choreographer from The Mariinsky Theatre.
    I think that if Liza T is going to be a major contender in seniors, then she needs to find greater consistency with her SP, which has persistently let her down. She also needs to work on improving her PCS scores. She struggled with body changes and another growth spurt towards the end of the 2012/13 season. However, I think she will have come through those changes by the start of next season and she will therefore be able to find greater technical consistency. Nevertheless, her SP has always been her achilles heel, right from the very beginning of her career and that problem needs to be finally sorted out. As for her PCS scores, her artistry did show improvement last season, but there is still a long way to go.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 05-24-2013 at 04:57 AM.

vCash
    Lose some kilos

vCash
    She needs to improve her ice coverage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    She needs to improve her ice coverage.
    This.

vCash
    Well, isn't it a bit early to start having a go at her about this since she's only just had her growth spurt? I'd say once she's settled into her new shape she'll be fine.

And anyone who says "lose some kilos" deserves a punch in the face.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    Yeah, definitely needs more ice coverage/speed/power. When its noticeable on a small internet feed, it is definitely an issue.

My question is this: having never skated, I'm clueless as to why Tuktamysheva struggles with the ice coverage and speed....from my vantage point it seems like her skating skills (stroking) seems to be fairly strong. Is it just because she is so tiny? A deficiency in her skating skills? Or just a crap program layout?

I do think her choreography and especially performance/execution is developing really well, though.

I want to uber her but the lack of power is preventing me from doing so.

vCash
    Obviously changing coaches must be a possibility. That is the only real way to improve the pcs. The sp issues are probably more her than the coach but maybe changing coaches could help that too. Changing coaches could damage the jumps but there are lots of good coaches for jumps- she may be leaving the best but the all the pcs and packaging are so dismissed by all the judges in every way. Also sports psychologist could help with mishin for the sp problem but If she changed coaches the sp issue could continue or go away even without a sports psychologist.

vCash
    She already has a very good jumping technique. But her ice coverage is lacking. She needs to work on that.
    And get a new choreographer, probably !!

vCash
    More ice coverage and speed. I personally don't see an issue with her weight, she is short and has very muscular legs but that's about all I notice, there's no excess fat hanging off her body anywhere. Plus when her jumps are on they are some of the best ever, her consistency issues are more likely due to nerves than anything else, I really don't think a female skater who wasn't in top physical shape could do a 3lz-3t to the quality of Liza's...

Another thing I think would help is projecting more. Tuk can be very expressive and dancey, but sometimes she seems overfocused and tense, which makes the presentation seem a bit lacking. I also think if she stopped bombing the SP, her PCS would go up, in the SP because she'd be skating better, and in the FS because she'd be skating later. I'm sure this played a factor into her scores at Worlds, where the PCS was very generous for the last 2 groups but pretty stingy for the first 2 groups. Maybe programs that are less dark and heavy would also help, Liza needs to show off her flirty dancey side more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    She already has a very good jumping technique. But her ice coverage is lacking. She needs to work on that.
    And get a new choreographer, probably !!
    She has had many many choreographers and it's always the same old stuff so the problem is probably and most likely the coach. If the jump technique is really established strongly it should survive a coaching change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    She has had many many choreographers and it's always the same old stuff so the problem is probably and most likely the coach. If the jump technique is really established strongly it should survive a coaching change.
    I agree with this - Yagudin did the same thing and improved tremendously. Granted he also told TAT on day one that there was no way she was touching his jump technique.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I agree with this - Yagudin did the same thing and improved tremendously. Granted he also told TAT on day one that there was no way she was touching his jump technique.
    Liza should do the same. Just get the either the nerve or confidence to just change direction from one that's not really working.

vCash
    I think all Liza has to do is continue to mature physically and emotionally to improve her results. Her time will come!

vCash
    The way some people act changing coaches is the be-all-and-end-all instant magic cure for any skating problem...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    The way some people act changing coaches is the be-all-and-end-all instant magic cure for any skating problem...
    I don't believe that Mishin is exactly clueless on how to make a skater successful!! So if someone of liza's jumping ability can't improve the pcs or ice coverage a skater has than maybe that particular aspect of the relationship isn't working! So what do they do? Liza is small but it can't be said all small girls have poor ice coverage or poor pcs and she will just grow to good ice coverage and good pcs. Or grow or mature to clean short programs or good choreo. If the only aspect of the Liza mishin relationship that is working is jumps that is not good for growth? You think something exists that improves a skater that mishin doesn't know about? Maybe a coach that has worked with more girls? Obviously It doesn't matter how many different choreographers Liza goes to! It's always the same criticisms always.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 05-25-2013 at 09:42 AM.

vCash
    Some skaters seem to just be faster then others. Look at how slow Caroline Zhang is for instance. I'm sure she's worked on her stroking but it doesn't seem like it's done much good. On the other hand Gracie seems to just fly all over the ice with very little effort.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Some skaters seem to just be faster then others. Look at how slow Caroline Zhang is for instance. I'm sure she's worked on her stroking but it doesn't seem like it's done much good. On the other hand Gracie seems to just fly all over the ice with very little effort.
    Let's get back on topic, this thread is about Elizaveta Tukt...

vCash
    Focus on the blades and not the arms

vCash
    Not every skater at a young age is a prodigy. Mishin has stated that her jumps are just fine. I believe that she has to learn how to compete which takes time. In some ways, i think that she might need to take a page from Kostners book. Perhaps start her season off with less difficult programs so that she learns how to breathe and compete and add difficulty as the season progresses. One thing is for sure though and that is that the girl loves to perform. Her time will come. I believe puberty was cruel to her. Still, she is tough as nails and will survive.

To the coaching change point. I think that she has a team of people working with her. Just because one goes to a coach however does not mean they will immediately master a point of weakness. I mean most of us talk every day however most of us would have a challenge talking in front of a group of people. Imagine what she went through. Lets just give her time.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    And anyone who says "lose some kilos" deserves a punch in the face.
    Consider the source.

As for the question at hand, the answer is one in the same. In order to improve her PCS scores, Liza needs to skate clean SPs and consistently build her reputation and forward momentum with the judges. She is adjusting to an older, maturing body; I have no doubt that she can win again in due time. I wouldn't be surprised to see her on the podium in Sochi. She has as good a chance as Mao, Kanako, and Ashley, IMO. It helps that she doesn't back down from attempting her planned difficulty and she's gutsy; she goes for those triple+triples.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 05-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast