vCash

Coach Kori Ade's move to Colorado with Jason Brown & Co. & Rohene Ward's comeback

Article by Sarah Brannen: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    "I love the environment," Brown said. "I love skating in Monument; it feels more like home. I can train the same way I did at home. Having access to the OTC is such a pro, and I'm trying to make the most of that resource."

Brown has been going to the Colorado Springs World Arena twice a week to work on jumps with Eddie Shipstad on the pole harness.
    Ward, who choreographs for Brown and [Jordan] Moeller, is going to return to competition himself next season. He's planning to take the ice at the Broadmoor Open in June. Ade said she is listed as Ward's coach, but he does a lot of work on his own.

"I don't want to take too much credit, because he's one of the most talented guys ever," Ade said. "Coaching is more like consulting with him. He's giving it one more shot for the joy of being out on the ice -- he feels that it doesn't matter what he does out there.

"He's got to be one of the most brilliant choreographers I've ever seen. His long for Jason is unbelievable."

Brown is open to the notion of competing against his own choreographer next season.

"I don't think it will be weird," he said. "The weirdest part of it will be that he'll compete and then stand at the boards with Kori for me, in his costume!

"I don't think about it like competing against him. I think it will bring a fun energy."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Rohene coming back? How Sandhuish of him!
    If he could compete for Puerto Rico, he'd make the olympics.

vCash
    I want to know where Kori Ade gets her energy. I was a WRECK with a newborn (and I didn't have a toddler as well).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Does anyone know whether he can compete for P.R.?

That would be amazing!

However, he'd have to make it via qualifying at Nebelhorn, I suppose?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Does anyone know whether he can compete for P.R.? That would be amazing! However, he'd have to make it via qualifying at Nebelhorn, I suppose?
    Yes, he would have to qualify at the Nebelhorn Trophy. I don't know what the citizenship rules are for federations based in locations that are not independent countries. (How can anyone be a citizen of Puerto Rico, distinct from being a U.S. citizen?)

vCash
    Rohene is the most talented US skater I have ever seen... I have seen him land quads on both directions.

Rohene Ward and Alexander Johnson for the Olympic squad.

vCash
    I have to admit I cracked up laughing at Jason's imagery of Rohene skating fabulously, jumping off the ice, pulling on his guards, then running around to stand at the boards for Jason, still in his costume.

Can't wait to see Rohene in action again!

"He's got to be one of the most brilliant choreographers I've ever seen. His long for Jason is unbelievable."
    Tease.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Does anyone know whether he can compete for P.R.?

That would be amazing!

However, he'd have to make it via qualifying at Nebelhorn, I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by RUKen View Post
    Yes, he would have to qualify at the Nebelhorn Trophy. I don't know what the citizenship rules are for federations based in locations that are not independent countries. (How can anyone be a citizen of Puerto Rico, distinct from being a U.S. citizen?)
    I checked the wikipedia entry on the Puerto Rico Skating Federation. It has not been recognized by the Puerto Rico Olympic Committee, though it is a member of ISU. Puerto Rico cannot send a figure skater to the Winter Olympics.

vCash
    I thought that being recognized by the Puerto Rican Olympic Committee was a requirement for them to become a member of the ISU.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I don't get the idea from that article that Rohene would be skating for Puerto Rico. I assume he would stick with his original home club for the best chance to make it to Mids/Nationals?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I don't get the idea from that article that Rohene would be skating for Puerto Rico. I assume he would stick with his original home club for the best chance to make it to Mids/Nationals?
    All speculation with no basis. No where in the article did it mention skating for Puerto Rico.

vCash
    Yes, pure speculations. He tried to skate for PR in the past but hit major road blocs. Making it to Nationals would already be a huge accomplishment, since midwestern sectionals is always a blood bath. For someone who has not competed in years, it sounds even more surreal.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Yes, pure speculations. He tried to skate for PR in the past but hit major road blocs. Making it to Nationals would already be a huge accomplishment, since midwestern sectionals is always a blood bath. For someone who has not competed in years, it sounds even more surreal.
    I've been a big fan of Rohene since... well, really since 1998 when I saw him in a club show. While I am super-excited to see him competing again, I have to admit his competitive programs swing from "brilliant" to "put your hands in front of your eyes and hope it's over soon." And who knows if after this summer, Rohene will elect to try to get back to Nationals.

That said, I'm not so certain that Mids is as competitive as it used to be. At least not this year. Aaron, Ferris and Abbott (and for that matter Lysacek) will have byes right in to Nationals. The strongest up fron junior skater would be Moeller (IF he moves up to seniors, and given he finished 5th at Nationals in juniors, I don't expect he'd move up). That would leave last year's National Competitors (from mids) Alex Johnson, Jason Brown, Brandon Mroz, William Brewster, plus Rohene. In that scenario, it would seem Brewster would be the odd man out.

Plus there may be Senior B and/or GP assignments for Johnson, Mroz and Brown.

Way too soon to speculate in any case.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    For many, many athletes (most), especially older athletes like Rohene who have moved on to a lot of other facets than just elite competitive figure skating, the possibility of getting to the Olympics or even getting to Nationals isn't what it's really about. It's about have a goal, doing the work, and enjoying the training and competing process. If greater things come, great, but I would suspect that the main goal here is just getting out to compete in the Broadmoor Open, simple as that.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Sarah Brannen expands on her earlier article about Rohene Ward returning to competition this summer: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Ward says he still does a triple Axel on a regular basis in practice. He has the extremely rare ability to rotate triple jumps both clockwise and counterclockwise. He says that his new free skate will include a reverse double Axel as well as spins in both directions.

For his short program, Ward will skate to "Din Da Da" by Kevin Aviance. His free skate is to "Weather Storm" by Craig Armstrong.

"The programs are set," he said. "The only unfortunate thing is I don't have enough time to do what I want to do, because at this time of year everyone needs work, and with Kori and [her] new baby, I've had to take a lot of responsibility. It's hard to have time to skate and train myself. I'm waiting until summer starts and I have that two hours a day to myself."

Ward plans to skate his short program at the Broadmoor Open and participate in the jump competition. After that, he plans to compete at the 2013 Vail Invitational Figure Skating Competition and at the Glacier Falls Classic.

Meanwhile, he will continue to coach and choreograph, while trying to find enough time for his own training.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden