Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am about 2/3 into White Teeth which is so far a fine book but I felt I needed a break from it and re-read The Razor's Edge by one of my great favorites, Somerset Maugham. I just love this book so much and absolutely love his ironic style. Isabel Maturin sort of reminds me of Fitzgerald's Daisy Buchanan but of course, there is no Great Gatsby, quite the opposite, in fact. Few writers please me as much Maugham. It would have been something to know him in person.

Then I went back to White Teeth, read a few pages and decided I finally need to read Dickens' Bleak House. Wyliefan would be proud of me.

Beach vacation is coming up and I always read JCO in the summer so I am bringing The Gravedigger's Daughter, Maugham's The Painted Veil and may be some short stories by each of them.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Speaking of audio books, can anyone recommend several mindless but fun audio books that they enjoyed that I can buy for the trip to AZ? It's like 4 days and I am going to be going nuts by the end.
    If you go on the audible site they divide the books by genre and have lots of sub topics such as best sellers, etc. with suggestions. They also print critics reviews as well as reader reviews and although readers tastes and reactions vary greatly I have found the reader reviews especially helpful. I pay close attention to the comments about the narration because it really can make or break an audible book. I especially hate mouth sounds and so I avoid any books that have that kind of reputation.
    pug lover

vCash
    I do audio books in the car all the time. I've also "read" while cleaning/sorting through junk in the attic and basement. My mother loved audio books while she ironed. The only ones I tend to avoid are the "read by the author" ones, only because, judging by the couple I have tried, most writers can't read well.

Personally, I tend toward the action-adventure tales (Clive Cussler is good) and mysteries for driving and steer away from heavy hot romances (there's something I find squicky about listening to explicit sex scenes in traffic). But most of my enjoyment comes from the reader. If the reader is good, I don't feel as if I'm being read to; it's more like someone is just telling me the story. If that's the feeling you want, I'd suggest starting with a story told in first-person POV.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    I bought the Bray, one of Neil Gaiman's books that I haven't read (according to Audibles he reads his books extremely well), and a few dramatizations of works by Chandler done by the BBC with crime-scene jazz in the background and stuff Oh, and Joyland by King, which had really good reviews on Audibles. Nothing heavy, though I did buy an audio 'learn Spanish' set. All of that plus music should get me through the trip Thanks guys!

vCash
    About halfway through 'Life After Life' and loving it. Very good book. She's really accident prone though. Guess it helps that she keeps getting a 'do over'? Reminds me a lot of 'Sliding Doors' the only Gwyneth Paltrow movie I like.

I've got a Gaiman book on hold at the library "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" (I think). Looked interesting. Reserved it before I saw the Doctor Who episode he wrote.

vCash
    I watched Warm Bodies a few days ago, and loved it. I mean, it's a zombie story, but it's Romeo & Juliet, where Romeo is a zombie. So I bought the book and started it, and I love it as well. The Romeo and Juliet is a bit more obvious in the book (M, who is Mercutio, is quite the womanizer in the book; this isn't mentioned at all in the movie). But I recommend both. Even if you don't like zombie stuff under normal circumstances.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I finally found the Amanda Knox book so I plan on beginning that this week. Also got the first book in the Game of Thrones series although am not sure how much I will like it since I have already watched the show and have heard the television series stays pretty true to the books (at least the first book). It is hard for me to continue reading if I feel like I know every thing that is going to happen.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Just a bit of a funny story about one of my first experiences with audio books. I was going on a road trip alone with my husband's cousin. She has a health problem that she takes medication for and it makes her really sleepy so she informed me I should be prepared to do all of the driving as she would nod off. I chose a Women's Mystery Club book from the series by James Patterson, thinking it would have enough thrills to keep me awake. True to her word, we had barely left her driveway and she was sound asleep. I drove for awhile and then started up the book which began with a pretty gruesome crime scene. She awoke, informed me that she didn't want to listen to that kind of stuff, and then promptly fell back asleep and awoke only at rest stops for the next 14 hours. I was afraid to start up the book again so I just had to persevere the rest of the trip.
    pug lover

Just me
    vCash
    So, my sister just informed me she is sending me the audio book Venetia by Georgette Heyer read by Richard Armitage. She made me promise I would not read it in the car. She knows how I feel about the man's voice and she is afraid I'll get so distracted I'll drive off an overpass.

She's probably right.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I finally found the Amanda Knox book so I plan on beginning that this week. Also got the first book in the Game of Thrones series although am not sure how much I will like it since I have already watched the show and have heard the television series stays pretty true to the books (at least the first book). It is hard for me to continue reading if I feel like I know every thing that is going to happen.
    Brian - trust me, the books are much better. The show deviates enough on minor things to make it different. I loved the books (well, most of them)

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Here's a book-related tid-bit for you: Since the NSA surveillance story broke last week, sales of 1984 on Amazon have gone up 7 thousand percent.

That's both and in my book!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    has anyone read "the execution of noa p singleton"

i just got my first library card since i liked the bobbsey twins and i put my name on the waiting list
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    So, my sister just informed me she is sending me the audio book Venetia by Georgette Heyer read by Richard Armitage. She made me promise I would not read it in the car. She knows how I feel about the man's voice and she is afraid I'll get so distracted I'll drive off an overpass.

She's probably right.
    Love Georgette Heyer and Venetia is one of my favorites. Enjoy.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Enjoy.
    Thank you.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    has anyone read "the execution of noa p singleton" i just got my first library card since i liked the bobbsey twins and i put my name on the waiting list
    I love having a library card again! They're now a 'contact' on my cell phone so I know when they're calling with reserves that came in. "The Good Nurse" is now waiting for me. They don't have 'noa' yet, I've been watching.

Finished "Life After Life". Loved the ending. Now want to re-read it before I take it back to the library. But, there's other books still waiting for me to read them the first time. I have book guilt. And I'm on ebook hold for the GOT series. Figured I'd re-read those eventually.

Currently reading "Silent Tears", about an American expat volunteering in a Chinese orphanage. It's in diary format, some repetition and it's tough to keep track of all of the children. Very sad to read.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So now I am 3/4 into White Teeth which should otherwise be known as a collection of ethnically diverse assholes. We have the Bengali Muslim family where the father is crazy and confused and the mother inconsequential, the white English/Jamaican family where the father is a half-wit and the mother is inconsequential but it is the English Jewish family really takes the asshole cake. Crazy, arrogant, clueless, offensive, creepy, you name it. Oh and the mother is inconsequential but also a clueless creepy biatch. So everyone gets it from Zadie Smith and you've got to feel for the poor kids in these families caught in between.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    I read "to kill a mockingbird" for the last time. I have It pretty much memorized by now but this was the first time I read it and thought that this is no children's book and I finally understand why schoolkids don't wanna read it.
    In other news I am still waiting for someone to invent and write about a character as interesting as...I am drawing a blank....the girl in "the girl who played with fire." What a shame the author died -those were some dayum gd bks he wrote, even tho everytime the characters had coffee I had to have some too lol.

vCash
    Lady from the library just called about ANOTHER book that's ready for pickup. "Dad is Fat" by Jim Gaffigan. We both giggled and I said 'it's for my teen'.

"Silent Tears" was a touch preachy in spots and repetitive, but it also had me crying a few times. End of the book contained letters from people who had adopted some of the children from the orphanage. Those were tough to get through too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    I read "to kill a mockingbird" for the last time. I have It pretty much memorized by now but this was the first time I read it and thought that this is no children's book and I finally understand why schoolkids don't wanna read it.
    I taught TKM to tenth graders for years and most of them loved it. I have heard of it being taught in 7th or 8th grade, though, and I think that is a bit young to grasp its complexity.

vCash
    I taught it to 8th graders. It was fine for the really bright kids, but no so much for the rest. It's much easier to teach it to tenth graders.

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast