Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    While waiting for George RR Martin to write another GOT book I've bought "The Iron King" which was among his inspirations. Looks like my perfect book -Iron kings and strangled queens, battles and betrayals, lies and lust, the curse of the Templars, the doom of a great dynasty - and all of it (well, most of it) straight from the pages of history, and believe me, the Starks and the Lannisters have nothing on the Capets and Plantagenets.
    I've got my eye on this one. Let us know if you like it.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Just finished "Inferno" by Dan Brown. Not a bad premise - some overpopulation growth hating zealot decides to unleash a virus, quotes a lot of Dante, and Langdon is out to stop him. Got very muddled at points with some obvious red herrings popping up. I now want to visit every place mentioned in the book. But it did get a bit when every museum caretaker/docent/whatever just dropped in shock and gave private tours to the famous Robert in his tweed coat. Total popcorn/summer read/brain candy book.

The library called tonight "Life After Life" is in. And "Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power" is in on their ebook site. I'll be busy reading this weekend (I hope).

PS - Nan - will let you know about the Iron King. Figured for $2.00, it was worth a shot.

vCash
    I tried to read Dmitry Glukhovsy's Metro 2033. Russian dystopian fiction, you say? It was awesome, you say?

I didn't make it out of the first chapter. I should have. I mean, nuclear war devastates earth, people survive in the Moscow underground and battle mutant creatures and each other? It needed an editor, badly, to cut out on a bunch of unnecessary details, and either the translator isn't a native English speaker, or the editor just dropped the ball there, as well.

Meh.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    I just finished Farthing by Jo Walton. It's an alternate history/detective novel set in a version of 1940s England where the British signed a peace treaty with Hitler in 1941, and the Americans never entered the war (which at the point in the book, 1949, is an ongoing stalemate between Germany and USSR). In this particular novel, a man is killed at a house party, and suspicion points to the Jewish son-in-law of the hosts. I thought it was a great read, and I'm looking forward to reading the sequels.

I found this book through a service called Paperback to the Future, which is run by an independent bookstore in New Hampshire. You sign up for the service at 18 dollars a month, tell the bookstore your three favorite books, a book you recently read and loved, and a book you recent read and hated, and based on your tastes, they will pick out books for you. http://www.riverrunbookstore.com/pap...-to-the-future

The bookstore did a great job with this one, because I couldn't put it down.

FWIW, the books I told her were one my favorites shelf were Pamela Dean's Tam Lin, Nora Roberts Northern Lights and Connie Willis's Blackout / All Clear (that being sort of a cheat, since it's two books, but she originally wrote it as one, and the publisher split it into two. A recent book I read and loved was Ben Aaronovich's Rivers of London and one that I hated was Shannon Hale's Austenland.

What is kind of strange is that I had debated switching out Northern Lights for Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union, but decided that even though the Chabon book was a more literary novel, I do actually re-read Northern Lights a lot more often. But the book she sent me is a lot closer in genre to Chabon's book than to Roberts's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    I just finished Farthing by Jo Walton. It's an alternate history/detective novel set in a version of 1940s England where the British signed a peace treaty with Hitler in 1941, and the Americans never entered the war (which at the point in the book, 1949, is an ongoing stalemate between Germany and USSR). In this particular novel, a man is killed at a house party, and suspicion points to the Jewish son-in-law of the hosts. I thought it was a great read, and I'm looking forward to reading the sequels.
    If you like that sort of alternate history, I recommend Robert Harris' Fatherland. (I push this book all the time. I love it.) A murder mystery set in Berlin in the 1960s, a Berlin in which the Nazis have won WWII.

And I am pondering trying out the book service you mentioned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    If you like that sort of alternate history, I recommend Robert Harris' Fatherland. (I push this book all the time. I love it.) A murder mystery set in Berlin in the 1960s, a Berlin in which the Nazis have won WWII.
    I've recommended Fatherland to a number of people, too. It's a fantastic book, and while "the Nazis won" is not the most original premise for alt history, it is really well executed.

I'm going through a meh reading period - nothing awful, but nothing amazing either.

vCash
    Has anyone read any of David Liss' historical mysteries? I've seen a three-book series listed and then three more that are stand-alones (I think). The newest one is "The Twelfth Enchantment" and I'm debating on whether to spend my Barnes and Noble gift card on it.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash

I'll definitely check out Fatherland I remember almost buying it on several occasions, but not (I don't remember why not).

The book service is fun, because there's that anticipation of getting a new book, but not knowing what it is going to be. I was curious about what she would come up with, based on what I gave her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post

I read SSGB, an older book by Len Deighton with the same sort of premise. This one takes place in England in 1941 just after Nazi Germany has successfully invaded. It is a police detective procedural with the building of the atom bomb as a sub-theme. Unfortunately, I can't recommend this one, unless you happen to be a big Len Deighton fan.

Just me
    vCash
    PS - Nan - will let you know about the Iron King. Figured for $2.00, it was worth a shot.
    Thanks.

If I remember correctly, there are some people here who listen to audio books, aren't there? I'm thinking about getting one, but would like to hear opinions/experiences from people who listen to them. Do you have to be in a quiet room to concentrate on the story or can you be doing other things while listening?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    Thanks.

If I remember correctly, there are some people here who listen to audio books, aren't there? I'm thinking about getting one, but would like to hear opinions/experiences from people who listen to them. Do you have to be in a quiet room to concentrate on the story or can you be doing other things while listening?
    I think a lot of people listen in the car or while exercising.

vCash
    I listen to a lot of audio books. I like the freedom that I can use my hands for something else and still enjoy a book. I do now have a number of favourite narrators and they can make a huge difference in the book. Some of the accents are amazing and really bring the characters to life. I do find - for me - that audio only works for a certain type of book. I like it for action or mystery/thriller books but things have to start with a bang and keep moving or I lose my way. It is not ideal, IMHO, to listen to very descriptive stories that are slow moving or those with a ton of characters as I tend to mix them up and it is more difficult to go back and check these details out.
    pug lover

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I did a free trial on Audible and never finished a book. I simply can not keep my focus on the narrator. I find myself letting my mind wander and then I have no clue what happened. I do this when reading, as well, but I can easily take my eyes back to the paragraph before and start again. I find it much more trouble to go back through the audio and I find that when I do zone out it is for longer periods of time. I just prefer to read the old fashioned way, a book in my hand. No audio book and no E-Readers.

ETA: Goodness me, every sentence except the last begins with "I." My apologies.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I simply can not keep my focus on the narrator. I find myself letting my mind wander and then I have no clue what happened.
    This is what I'm afraid I'll do, but I think it's at least worth a try. Thanks for the imput, everyone.

vCash
    Heard about "The Astronaut Wives Club" on NPR this morning. Sounds fascinating. Once my library gets it in, I'll be reading it.
    That's next on my list! That and the new Khaled Hosseini book.

I'm still on the Book Thief. I moved so close to work that I don't have two hours a day of subway rides, so I'm been really neglecting my reading. I just picked it up again today to read while on the train to visit my aunt in Coney Island and it's so good, I almost missed my stop.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    This is what I'm afraid I'll do, but I think it's at least worth a try. Thanks for the imput, everyone.
    If you are going to try then please try on audible or something first. Do not go out and buy anything on CD. Those are very expensive. Audible usually has free trials. Your local library may even have some!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Speaking of audio books, can anyone recommend several mindless but fun audio books that they enjoyed that I can buy for the trip to AZ? It's like 4 days and I am going to be going nuts by the end.

vCash
    Libby Bray's Beauty Queens is hilarious on audio. She reads it herself, and includes all the footnotes (which in the book were also hilarious). It's really well done.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The No.1 Ladies Detective series by Alexander McCall Smith are also excellent on audio. The narrator is fantastic. In fact, I like her so much, I hear her voice in my head if I read the books. And the HP series is a great long trip option. I love audio books and always have at least 3 in the car at all times. I prefer to listen to them than to the radio or music.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    I've been meaning to read McCall Smith anyway, and the Bray sounds awesome. Thanks both of you, I'll buy those later today! And why didn't I think of HP? Always a good option!

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast