Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1001

vCash
    It's not, not remotely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    Have you read the Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant? Great sci fi, set a quarter of a century after the zombie apocalypse, and the narrators are not dummies... it got me from the opening paragraph:
    I didn't know it was a trilogy! I read the first one and loved it. I will have to find the others.

Okay, so in the book I'm currently reading, the main character was trying to commit suicide on the day of the apocalypse, which is supposed to explain why she does so many stupid things (because she wasn't expecting to be alive). Okay, but seriously? If you are trying to kill yourself, it would've been pretty damn easy to do on that first day, you know? So now they are holed up in their high school (someone stole my plot even the English teacher is the only teacher in there, but it's a dude, so my book will be totally different. Also it will be different because my main character won't be an idiot) and she's all "how should I do this?" You were running around town for seven days! There were zombies everywhere!

This should've been a very short book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    OK, what am I missing about Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch?
    I read The Secret History years ago and liked it a lot. Read her second, The Little Friend and liked it less. I think I'll skip this new one.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    16 Books To Read Before They Hit Theaters This Year

This is Where I Leave You

Unbroken was meant to be a movie; never would have pegged Angelina Jolie as the director, though. I can't imagine how Wild will translate into a movie--flashbacks? Voiceover? The Monuments Men looks interesting.

Interesting that the reviewer describes Divergent as captivating. I know a lot of people here have read it and haven't been all that enthralled. My daughter has been sorta, kinda reading it for months; I think she would have just quit a long time ago if her friends didn't keep asking her if she's finished it yet. She got the other two books in the series for Christmas and said "Meh."
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    16 Books To Read Before They Hit Theaters This Year

This is Where I Leave You

Unbroken was meant to be a movie; never would have pegged Angelina Jolie as the director, though. I can't imagine how Wild will translate into a movie--flashbacks? Voiceover? The Monuments Men looks interesting.

Interesting that the reviewer describes Divergent as captivating. I know a lot of people here have read it and haven't been all that enthralled. My daughter has been sorta, kinda reading it for months; I think she would have just quit a long time ago if her friends didn't keep asking her if she's finished it yet. She got the other two books in the series for Christmas and said "Meh."
    They're making a movie of Winter's Tale? That took forever! I had the paperback in the 80's!

Not excited about Divergent, but maybe they'll make it less 'long pining looks' and more 'Hunger Games'? Loved Unbroken, wonder if they'll do a "Castaway" type filming break to show the deterioration of Louis?

The Circle finally came in at the library. I'm hoping for a long weekend reading.

INTJ
    vCash
    I've just started The Monuments Men. It's really interesting, filled with some very intriguing people and not surprisingly completely different than the trailers suggest the movie will be like. If you're interested in art or WW2 history it's worth a read.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I just finished the second book in the series, Insurgent, which was as flawed as Divergent but lacked the same entertainment value.

Did anyone bother with Allegient? I know a lot of people hated it, even the die-hard fans of the series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I've just started The Monuments Men. It's really interesting, filled with some very intriguing people and not surprisingly completely different than the trailers suggest the movie will be like. If you're interested in art or WW2 history it's worth a read.
    It's the only one on the list I'm really interested in, thanks for the rec!

Though it's not being adapted into a movie, Diana Gabaldon's Outlander is being turned into a TV series. The e-book is 1.99 on Amazon (maybe elsewhere as well?), so if anyone's ever thought of checking that out, this might be a good time

Now, if someone could just get to work on an adaptation of Dorothy Dunnett's books...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oooh, can't wait to see This Is Where I Leave You!!!

Jennifer Lawrence rocks the vintage look in that link. She rocks pretty much every look.

I am still mired in the James. I like it, it hurts so good.

Next I am going to start Empress Cixi that I got as a holiday prezzie.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Did anyone bother with Allegient? I know a lot of people hated it, even the die-hard fans of the series.
    I did. I went in with super low expectations (since Insurgent sucked so bad), so I wasn't disappointed. It was seriously flawed but in different ways than Insurgent. However the ending almost sorta kinda made sense, and was not a bad conclusion to the trilogy.

If I'd read the series in high school I probably would have liked the books more. But I am so not the audience for mooney teenage love stories. (insert vomiting emoticon here)

vCash
    Hmm ... since the books are usually better than the movies, I'd actually call those "Books to read after you've seen the movies" But then I've always been a save-the-best-for-last kinda gal.

Too late to wait for some of those books for me: I've already read and enjoyed Gone Girl, This Is Where I Leave You, The Giver, The Hundred Foot Journey, and Long Way Down.

Nick Hornby's books usually make pretty good films so I have high hopes for Long Way Down. This Is Where I Leave You seemed begging for a movie when I read it, tho Batemen is a little older than I pictured Judd.

Gone Girl ... it's a thriller so it should make a good movie. But so much of it was internal, I'm not sure how that will translate. How will they manage the

Spoiler

And although I love Rosamund Pike as Amy, I'm less than thrilled with Ben Affleck as Nick.

The Giver could be really good. Great cast. I wonder if they're going to combine all the books, or just do the first one -- with its non-ending-ending -- and hope to spin it out into a trilogy? (I've actually only read the first book.)

Divergent might actually improve as a movie. There's a nugget of a half-decent story in there, and with all the visual effects they can give it they might be able to successfully make something out of the thin plot and two-dimensional characters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Jennifer Lawrence rocks the vintage look in that link. She rocks pretty much every look.
    I know, right? Never heard of this book, but I'll see the movie if she's in it.

And are Lawrence & Cooper now the new Hepburn and Tracy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    I just finished the second book in the series, Insurgent, which was as flawed as Divergent but lacked the same entertainment value.

Skip it. It pissed me off. It's one of the few times I missed having a physical copy of the book--I'd have thrown it across the room and then stomped on it. The ending was telegraphed, so you know what's coming, but it was the way it was done. And I think the whole series just sort of fell apart towards the middle. I'm surprised my eyes didn't permanently stick to the back of my head I was rolling them so hard.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

Now, if someone could just get to work on an adaptation of Dorothy Dunnett's books...
    Yes, please.

vCash
    Dark Places is my favorite Gillian Flynn book. I love the cast so, so much, it's just perfect, and I cannot wait to see it. I'm less excited for the film adaption of Gone Girl because I think it will be harder to pull of, but I am absolutely going to see it. Haven't read Divergent yet but I did buy it and I love Shailene Woodley, she's one of our most talented young actresses. I haven't read Serena but it has Jennifer Lawrence in it so of course I am going to absolutely see it. Most of the rest sound quite interesting and I am excited to see them, and possibly read them too

vCash
    The mos important part of that link is the link at the bottom to The Definitive Ranking of Baby Sitters Club Cover Outfits. It has given me so much life! If I could forget half of what I remember of the BSC, I'd have so much more room in my brain for things that actually matter!

Back on topic, I can't wait for "This Is Where I Leave You". It was so hysterically funny and touching at the same time. I'm also looking forward to Gone Girl, Dark Places & Serena (which I haven't read but J-Law is my girl).

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I had fun with this one: The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. It may or may not be your cup of tea but is worth investigating IMO.
    I checked this book out of the library and started reading it with enjoyment until I got to the first bit of dialogue, which was something like:

--I'll get you, you dirty old bastard.

WHY do writers do this? It drives me crazy. It isn't more efficient (it takes the same number of keystrokes to make an em dash as it does to make two quotation marks), it isn't more attractive, and I see no artistic purpose in it. It makes dialogue harder to read, as the offset isn't sharp enough after the quotation.

I pressed on for a while, but I just got more irritated, and so I stopped.

The movie list reminded me that I had been meaning to read Nick Hornby's More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated Author Locked in Battle with Football, Family, and Time Itself, a collection of his columns about what he is reading. I prefer Hornby the essayist to Hornby the novelist, and I am always amazed by what he reads--his interests seem to have no bounds. In one essay, he talks about how he is only now in his fifties beginning to appreciate works considered canonical (he includes music and visual arts in this) because he has spent most of his life mightily resisting anything that falls into the broadly defined category of "assigned reading." This is something I have found to be true of nearly all readers (by which I mean people who regularly read for pleasure)--they love to read as long as it isn't something someone makes them to read. I always thought that nonreaders would be the ones who would reject canonical works, but I have found that that isn't always true; many nonreaders don't want to read anything at all, so one book is as good (or bad) as another, and they will docilely accept reading assignments where the readers will not. I have this vague theory that this is because readers, having read a lot, have developed a set of likes and dislikes and biases and tend to be suspicious and hard to please.

All of which is a rambling way of saying that recommending books tends to be a thankless job, and that I appreciate the recommendation even though my particular bias led me to reject the book .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    The mos important part of that link is the link at the bottom to The Definitive Ranking of Baby Sitters Club Cover Outfits. It has given me so much life! If I could forget half of what I remember of the BSC, I'd have so much more room in my brain for things that actually matter!

Claudia was my fashion icon growing up. She'd always spend a good portion of each chapter talking about what she was wearing.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Prancer, this book reminded me of The Good Soldier Švejk. Same style, same type of dialogue and same outrageous situations. The Good Soldier was extremely popular in the old country, so this was familiar, particularly the style of dialogue that irritated you. Sorry, you didn't enjoy it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

having a nice day
    vCash
    I just can't take anyone named tartt seriously. I mean, rrrrreally!

Is this the last post? Did I win again? ;-)
    Have a nice day!

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast