Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Random semi-literary notes:

Currently reading the latest Lincoln Lawyer novel by Michael Connelly. The character literally practices out of the back seat of a car, and there have been several novels featuring this character. The first book was also made into a movie. So the amusing part in this latest book is when the main character looks out in front of the courthouse and sees a row of Lincolns, and muses that "ever since the movie" there have been copycats stealing his schtick. Can't ever recall a book character acknowledging that a movie had been made about him!
    In one of the Princess Diaries books, Mia snarks about the Disney movie of her life and how they made her grandmother so nice in it.

vCash
    Finished Sycamore Row. I had not read a Grisham novel in years, but I enjoyed this one. He brought back characters from A Time to Kill. Now I'm reading The Aviator's Wife, novel about Anne Morrow Lindbergh's marriage to Lucky Lindy. It's good so far. I don't know how accurate the portrayals are, but I'm seeing him in a whole new light. Have just finished the heartbreaking section about the kidnapping and murder of the baby.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I really enjoyed Sycamore Row too - and kinda fun to be able to picture the characters from the movie

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    "Revolutionary Road" just gets better and better. I can't believe how a novel from 1961 speaks so accurately and acutely about pple in *today's* society. Don't we ever advance? Don't we ever learn? Don't we ever change? Reckon not....
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    The NPR review of it is....weird. So maybe.
    Well, it's a weird book!

vCash
    I finished Up The Down Staircase earlier this week. Amazing how much of it is still so relevant in my career, despite the differences in technology.

Partway through The Kite Runner, and also partway through The Poisoned Pilgrim. It's the latest in the Hangman's Daughter series. I still don't know if I would actually recommend this series to anyone, but I just keep reading them The author tends to remind you of things repeatedly, and it never lets up across all of the books, which can get irritating - I never need to read again that a hangman was a dishonorable person in Bavaria in the 1600s, I am now inexorably aware of that fact - but other things keep me reading, apparently I'm not sure if it's that relentless in the original German or if it's a translation issue. Definitely the translator has thrown some weird anachronistic language in at times, which can be jarring. I doubt that the author would use the equivalent modern jargon, but I could be wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Now I'm reading The Aviator's Wife, novel about Anne Morrow Lindbergh's marriage to Lucky Lindy. It's good so far. I don't know how accurate the portrayals are, but I'm seeing him in a whole new light. Have just finished the heartbreaking section about the kidnapping and murder of the baby.
    I enjoyed that book. I've read a lot over the years both by and about Anne Morrow Lindbergh, and I think it's pretty accurate.

ETA: With one major exception.

Spoiler

Last edited by Wyliefan; 01-04-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Charles Lindbergh was a very strange man.

INTJ
    vCash
    I just finished Cockroach the book Samantha Bee is championing for Canada Reads. I couldn't put it down. It's unsettling and uncomfortable on so many levels but also completely engrossing. I'm looking forward to see how it does.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Now I'm reading The Aviator's Wife, novel about Anne Morrow Lindbergh's marriage to Lucky Lindy. It's good so far. I don't know how accurate the portrayals are, but I'm seeing him in a whole new light. Have just finished the heartbreaking section about the kidnapping and murder of the baby.
    I've had that one in my to-read stack for a while now, just haven't managed to get around to it yet. Moving it up in the pile now ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Charles Lindbergh was a very strange man.
    It would seem so.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    I'm in the middle of The Golem and The Jinni and really enjoying it. I love the descriptions of the Jewish and Syrian neighborhoods at the turn of the 20th century.
    I added this to me reading list.

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    "Revolutionary Road" just gets better and better. I can't believe how a novel from 1961 speaks so accurately and acutely about pple in *today's* society. Don't we ever advance? Don't we ever learn? Don't we ever change? Reckon not....
    The last time I taught Survey of Western Lit (which I hope to never, ever teach again), one of my students wrote that the class had depressed her quite a bit--not so much because the literature that we read was depressing, but because she had been convinced that we were in some sort of temporary lull in human development where people just weren't functioning very well, but that we would bounce back eventually, and the lit we read had made her realize that human beings have always been this way; we haven't evolved at all. And that made her think that maybe we never would.

I thought that was kind of funny, because my reaction has always been the opposite--people have always been like this, but we lurch on. I find it comforting to think that we haven't changed, because that means that people aren't getting worse. I don't know why anyone would like to think that, but apparently a lot of people do.

Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I finished Up The Down Staircase earlier this week. Amazing how much of it is still so relevant in my career, despite the differences in technology.
    . See above.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    On What Maisie Knew by Henry James. Your typical James who tells rather than shows you 90% of the time. I am about a 3rd in and am still waiting for more dimensional characters rather than caricatures. Maisie's parents are completely, irredeemably insufferable. I suppose a lot of divorces battles bring out the worst in parents but I expected some complexity in these people. Usually, James is good with nuance but so far I see very little.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I'm reading fluff right now - Julian Symons's The Blackheath Poisonings. Very entertaining so far.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Didn't start Hild on Friday, I did a Walking Dead Season 4 marathon instead.

Read Already Gone by John Rector yesterday - very implausible, but a fun popcorn type read (not brain food).

Now on Scarlet, the sequel to Hood. Started off slow, but I'm liking it now that we're back in the forest with Robin, er, Bran (set in Wales, not Sherwood Forest).

vCash
    OK, what am I missing about Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch? I'm reading it for a book club assignment, and I can't stand it. I do not understand how it could make even one 10 Best List for 2013, let alone so many. Biggest snark: I'm the one who suggested this book in the first place. GAH! Book club meeting is this Wednesday and then I never have to look at this thing again, thank you/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    OK, what am I missing about Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch?
    I haven't read that one but I did read one of her other books, The Secret History, and couldn't stand it either. Apparently she is not for everyone.

Almost through Harry Potter, one book left to go! I had to take a break to get in one for book club, Orange is the New Black, the memoir that inspired the series. I haven't seen the series at all, although I will assume that it bears no relation to the book. I was a little leery of the book after reading some of the reviews about the author being a massive narcissist, but I actually found she came across as fairly relatable. She was clearly a fairly priveleged prisoner and new it, but made it fairly clear that if prison sucked that much for her, how it must be that much worse for most people. She also was clearly repentant for her crime. Can't say whether I would really like her all that much in real life but definitely not the narcisst that some reviews made her out to be.

I had a similar response when reading MWF Seeking BFF last month for a different book club, which also had some reviews hating on the author. I, OTOH, loved the book and found it very similar to my experience trying to make friends in a new city. I would have loved to have read it before I moved here, actually, although there are still a few new ideas that I'm willing to try.

vCash
    I had to stop after 18 pages into This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers to say that the narrator is an idiot. I get that not everyone will react in cool headed manner when the zombie apocalypse starts, but if they act like the narrator, they don't survive seven days, either.

But I'll finish it. Because zombies.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I had to stop after 18 pages into This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers to say that the narrator is an idiot. I get that not everyone will react in cool headed manner when the zombie apocalypse starts, but if they act like the narrator, they don't survive seven days, either.

But I'll finish it. Because zombies.
    Have you read the Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant? Great sci fi, set a quarter of a century after the zombie apocalypse, and the narrators are not dummies... it got me from the opening paragraph:

Our story begins where countless stories have ended in the past twenty six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shawn, -- deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens. As if we didn't already know what happens when you mess with a zombie: the zombie turns around and bites you, and you become the thing you poked. This isn't a surprise. It hasn't been a surprise for more than twenty years, and if you want to get technical, it wasn't a surprise then.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    OK, what am I missing about Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch? I'm reading it for a book club assignment, and I can't stand it. I do not understand how it could make even one 10 Best List for 2013, let alone so many. Biggest snark: I'm the one who suggested this book in the first place. GAH! Book club meeting is this Wednesday and then I never have to look at this thing again, thank you/
    I was browsing at a bookstore (yes, there are still bookstores with real books in them) and saw it as a staff suggestion. It did not sound interesting to me.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast