Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I didn't realize literary daddies were so nosy.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Alas, yes. Charlotte M. Yonge was yet another writer whose theme song could have been "I'm writing this novel for Daddy…." And that bumped her down to the second or third tier of 19th century writers, too.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Sounds like a good topic for a grad school thesis.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I did write a thesis on the topic: And Hardly Any Women at All: Jane Austen and the Myth of Isolated Achievement. Props if you can name the novel the title comes from.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I have to disagree here. After she published Castle Rackrent, Edgeworth's father stepped in and "advised" her on all but the last of her subsequent novels. Up until his death, she wrote to please Daddy. Which is not to say that all those novels are bad. They aren't. I'm particularly fascinated by Patronage (1814), which is, in many ways, similar to Mansfield Park (also 1814). My favorite Edgeworth novel, however, is her last, Helen (1834), written long after her father's death. It is one of the few novels written during that Twilight Zone between Austen and Dickens that is worth reading.
    Really??? And here I always thought that if I had been a 19th century woman (god forbid) I would have wanted a crazy radical father like hers.

I clearly need to read more on Maria Edgeworth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I did write a thesis on the topic: And Hardly Any Women at All: Jane Austen and the Myth of Isolated Achievement. Props if you can name the novel the title comes from.
    Northanger Abbey.

I cannot bring myself to use my gift card . It's always so hard to spend and not hoard.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I somehow could not get into 'Wolf Hall" and keep thinking I need to give it another try as it is so acclaimed and I love history, both non- fiction and fiction; and I do not need it to be fluffy. Just did not click for me. Did you like it?
    I did! Sounds like that makes me the oddball around here. But I really did.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I cannot bring myself to use my gift card . It's always so hard to spend and not hoard.
    I'm using mine on P. G. Wodehouse's Pearls, Girls, and Monty Bodkin and Alec Guinness's A Positively Final Appearance. Hope you find something really good to buy with yours, Prancer!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I know you have a Nook, so I'm assuming you regularly check the 101 Nook Books $2.99 and under. The list changes often. And right now B&N has up to 50% off 300 bestselling Nook books, lots of current titles.

Go nuts.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I know you have a Nook, so I'm assuming you regularly check the 101 Nook Books $2.99 and under. The list changes often. And right now B&N has up to 50% off 300 bestselling Nook books, lots of current titles.

Go nuts.
    I cracked this morning and bought something off the 50% off list. Twenty minutes later, I was broke .

I do love the $2.99 list .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    So I loved Didion's Play It As It Lays. I saw a lot of female Hemingway but not much of Henry James. Perhaps his influence is more abstract while Hemingway's is quite literal.

I do feel like I need to detox after this book but it was good anyway. I read it just before I go to LA for the weekend too.

What should I read next by her? Fiction-wise.
    I haven't read Didion for ages, though she remains one of my favourite authors. "Book of a Common Prayer" is one of my all time favourties and I also read "Run River" and "The White Album". That's how long ago it was?

I'd like to revisit her now - what books do you recommend I start with?

vCash
    I cracked this morning and bought something off the 50% off list. Twenty minutes later, I was broke .

I do love the $2.99 list .
    Well, what'd you get?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I haven't read Didion for ages, though she remains one of my favourite authors. "Book of a Common Prayer" is one of my all time favourties and I also read "Run River" and "The White Album". That's how long ago it was?

I'd like to revisit her now - what books do you recommend I start with?
    I've only read the one mentioned in my post: Play It As It Lays--recommend highly.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I loved the first two books of that series, but like many dystopian series, I thought it fell apart in the third. I haven't read the fourth. Let me know what you think!
    Done with #3, and I agree, it did fall apart. Too many whiny new characters and unbelievable plot twists and character assassinations. I'm beyond annoyed with the book synopsis on the jacket - it gave away massive plot twists. I'll read 4, but will totally ignore the jacket until I'm done.

Had some down time at work, so I finished The Good Lord Bird before taking it back. I'm not sure how it made so many 'best of the year' lists. It was different, but not fabulous (at least to me).

Down to 5 library books including Hild (thanks to Spinner), The Husband's Secret (on hold forever for that one), and Shakespeare's Restless World which takes 20 objects from the Bard's time and explains their relevance in that time period.

vCash
    I haven't been so annoyed by a book since JCO's My Sister, My Love with all the fake figure skating terms and lace panties. At least, it was funny from a skating fan's point of view. This isn't even funny. And there is no skating.
    I had never heard of this book and had to look it up after you wrote this. Yeah, will pass on that one for the reading list. I just finished Julia Spencer Fleming's newest and am now debating what to spend my B&N gift card on. Sadly, mine is only for $10 so even at 2.99 it won't go far. If anyone is looking for free reads and likes love stories, you should check out Swoon Reads online. It's a publishing contest so there's some good and some bad but there is a skating novel on there right now.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Well, what'd you get?
    I got The Fault in Our Stars, mostly for my daughter (she has my old Nook and we share an account), two books on music theory, and a whole bunch of cheap drivel to stave off depression .

Doctors Are Now Prescribing Books to Treat Depression: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smar...#ixzz2p0Uj18C2

Reading certainly helps me de-stress, but I gotta say that reading self-help books has the opposite effect. For one thing, most of them are full of crap.

vCash
    I enjoyd The Fault in Our Stars but admit I prefer books to end happily ever after.

vCash

Go nuts.
    After the holidays this is not what my credit card needs but I'm weak Got the And The Mountains Echoed, which has been on my list for ages, as well as a few others.

I keep saying I'm going to take book breaks between Game of Thrones books, but here I am, a fourth of the way through #3, which is the best so far. Robb, you idiot.

I loved the Fault in Our Stars and I'm normally not a big John Green fan. Cried like a baby multiple times and stayed up way too late to finish it.
    Last edited by oleada; 12-31-2013 at 06:44 PM.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I intended to watch films but the library sale table had "revolutionary road" and I just was looking to see if it had a forward and next thing I knew I was 18 pages into it and I can tell already this is one of the best books I have ever read. The writing is superior. The writing is like buttah. The descriptive qualities are super superior in perception and depth. This book is a true treasure. Seek it out.
    Have a nice day!

having a nice day
    vCash
    I've only read the one mentioned in my post: Play It As It Lays--recommend highly.
    Hey pm me if you want a paperback copy. It's on my upcoming garage sale table. Edit--sorry thought you were looking for it. Well hey anyone who is let me know asap okay?:-)
    Last edited by immoimeme; 12-31-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    Have a nice day!

having a nice day
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I need some suggestions. I have a 74-year-old sister who is pretty much bed-ridden. She is now interested in reading again. She likes historical/political fiction. West Wing was her all time favorite TV series. She also liked the Dick Francis mysteries. I thought of Irving Stone or Taylor Caldwell, but they are a bit old-fashioned. I thought of Diana Gabaldon but I don't think she would like the time-travel aspect of them. I'm looking for some good main stream ideas. Big long books are great, but I'm also thinking of trying to find some lighter weight, thinner books, as her hands don't work very well and I don't think she has much strength. She also wants books, rather than reading on her tablet.
    What's wrong w taylor caldwell? She wrote plenty of good books-enough to keep a person who likes her happy for months on end. I once tried to read all her books but didn't succeed. I found them all at the used books stores but I now see them from time to time on the library sale table.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Taylor Caldwell wrote some excellent novels; and some early "New-Age" drivel.
    The novels are very worthwhile.

Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast