Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yet another book list that "will change your life." http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/b...ange-your-life

I've read several of them and some of the others sound interesting. The Joan Didion Play It As It Lays sounds intriguing. Has anyone read it? Can you recommend it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    If you like the first two books in Lev Grossman's Magicians trilogy, the third book comes out August 5th. Called The Magician's Land.
    I had a lot of criticism for the first two but may read the 3rd just so that I could bitch about it here.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I stopped after the first one. I don't want to waste another minute of my time with that whiny protagonist.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Yet another book list that "will change your life." http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/b...ange-your-life

I've read several of them and some of the others sound interesting. The Joan Didion Play It As It Lays sounds intriguing. Has anyone read it? Can you recommend it?
    I would; immie wouldn't

In fairness to immie, Didion believes that word order is critical and that changing word order completely changes the meaning of a sentence, so she does have a tendency to rewrite the same sentence in different ways at regular intervals to indicate that she is struggling with precision.

If you like Hemingway and Henry James, you will probably like her writing, as she is heavily influenced by both (especially Hemingway).

I've read all but three books on that list. And I gotta say, they weren't all life-changing or even all that thought provoking .
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    That is a nice, eclectic list. I've read eight of them, and I'd like to read about 8 more.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I would; immie wouldn't

In fairness to immie, Didion believes that word order is critical and that changing word order completely changes the meaning of a sentence, so she does have a tendency to rewrite the same sentence in different ways at regular intervals to indicate that she is struggling with precision.

If you like Hemingway and Henry James, you will probably like her writing, as she is heavily influenced by both (especially Hemingway).
    I do like both, a lot! So I think I will give it a try, thanks.

ETA: checked out the amazon preview--sounds really up my alley. Ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I've read all but three books on that list. And I gotta say, they weren't all life-changing or even all that thought provoking .
    I feel the same about quite a few of them.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 12-12-2013 at 01:27 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    there are books on that list i love, but wouldnt say they changed my life. there are also books on that list i absolutely hate.

the closest to life changing for me would be the joy of cooking. i love cookbooks, but i dont cook much.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I've read only five of the books on the list and I can't say that any of them changed my life at all.

Currently I'm reading the first in Lindsey Davis' new series of Roman mysteries, "The Ides of April" featuring Flavia Albia, adopted daughted of Falco, the informer from her previous series. Now Falco is supposedly too old and infrim to go off adventuring and detecting so Flavia has followed in his footsteps and taken over his old office, with marginally more sucess in actually getting paid for her services. I'd forgotten who Flavia is, and am finding the background sparse so I'm still not clear on where she fits into the family but the mystery is decent - healthy people are suddenly dying in their beds with no signs of foul play other than the suddenness. Keeping the characters straight is another issue. But I enjoy the glimpse into ancient Roman life and Flavia seems like a smart cookie.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Dick Button's new book is available on Amazon. I'm ordering today. No ebook version available.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Meh, Joy of Cooking. The description in the link acts like it's the only cookbook to have a chatty tone and offer helpful tips - it's not by any means. Not today, not when it was published. And since Julia Child tells us that the Irma Rombauer herself confessed the recipes weren't properly tested and rumour has it many were sort of stolen from other sources, I can only congratulate the authors and original publisher with coming up with a great title and riding it for decades.

There are a couple of cookbooks that actually have changed my life, and that ain't one of them.

On another note, while it's that time of year when the media wants to pontificate on Important Books, I am just back from the beach where I enjoyed every juicy page of The Power Trip by Jackie Collins. I've read most of her books (lots of beaches and plane rides over the years ) and I have to say this was probably my favourite one. If anyone is looking for a break from their serious reading/literature list, I highly recommend it.

Am now reading the new Grisham that brings back the main character from A Time to Kill for the first time, looking forward to the new Lincoln Lawyer book next (coincidentally both lawyers played on film by the same actor, so there's conceptual continuity there!), and actively looking for other entertainments to get me to the next Reacher book, since I spent much of 2013 reading the first 18 books

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Dick Button's new book is available on Amazon. I'm ordering today. No ebook version available.

boughtened! i'm gonna read the shyt out of it
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Just finished "The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith. Pseudonym for J.K.Rowling and I liked it a lot. Am reading "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes and am liking it also.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Meh, Joy of Cooking. The description in the link acts like it's the only cookbook to have a chatty tone and offer helpful tips - it's not by any means.
    I got two copies of Joy for wedding gifts and ended up giving both of them away because I never used them. I don't think of Joy as a chatty cookbook; it just always seemed like a pretty straightforward collection of pretty typical recipes to me.

I put Dick Button's book on my Christmas list .
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Huh. Rainbow Rowell is from Nebraska; she used to write a weekly column in the paper. Sometimes it was good; mostly it was meh. I will have to check her books out.
    Do not touch Attachments. It is just bad. The entire plot is weirdly stalkerish. You will want to gouge your eyes out then hunt Rainbow down and slap her silly. And if the plot doesn't do it, this will: all characters have Nebraska places for names including one with the hyphenated last name "Scribner-Snyder". You know, like the school district west of Fremont. And, oh yeah, her bestie's last name? Fremont.

And while Fangirl is a better read, the main character "Cather" attends the university in the exceedingly tiny town of Lincoln (Rainbow apparently never actually left the campus during her own time in Lincoln) where she lives in Pound Hall. You know, the one attached to Cather Hall.

These are things that I assume in no way jump out as cheesy and stupid to non-Nebraskans. Perhaps we in Nebraska were supposed to find it clever, but I did not.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Meh, Joy of Cooking. The description in the link acts like it's the only cookbook to have a chatty tone and offer helpful tips - it's not by any means. Not today, not when it was published. And since Julia Child tells us that the Irma Rombauer herself confessed the recipes weren't properly tested and rumour has it many were sort of stolen from other sources, I can only congratulate the authors and original publisher with coming up with a great title and riding it for decades.

There are a couple of cookbooks that actually have changed my life, and that ain't one of them.

I did actually find The Joy of Cooking Useful .... Back in 1995, I used the Introduction to bread making to do a dramatic reading as part of an audition for a sketch comedy troupe. I got into the troupe. :-)

(Seriously, if you happen to have JoC on your shelf, go read some of the intro sections - especially for canning and for bread - they're unintentionally hysterical).

I wouldn't use it as a cookbook, but as a piece of history, it's an interesting read (try reading back to back with The Feminine Mystique.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Do not touch Attachments. It is just bad.
    [Lina Lamont voice]I liked it.[/Lina Lamont voice]

But to each her own!

In other news, after nearly three months (which came after something like 10 years of seeing it just sit there on the bookshelf), I've finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell! Woohoo!!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Joy of Cooking is probably the least-used cookbook on my shelf. It's too cumbersome and I haven't liked the one or two recipes I have tried.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I've never used JoC for its recipes. However I have used it as how-to reference for technique when cooking something obscure or new-to-me. I can't actually think of what specifically, though ...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have ordered The Annotated Mansfield Park, due out in September 2014.

Right now I am reading The Annotated Northanger Abbey and am loving the notes and illustrations. Since I haven't read the actual book in a long time, I am struck anew what the worldly, intelligent, sarcastic Henry Tilney would find in the dull and sheltered Catherine. I love how he insists on precision in word use--he is a geek! In fact, he would make an excellent FSUer, what with the ready snark and a tendency to nitpick. Elizabeth Bennet would have been a much better match for him. I just don't get the attraction. Perhaps being "fresh" and "artless" was the IT thing at the time. Le shrug.

Ooooh, I simply must own Dick Button's book, even if I don't celebrate Christmas.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 12-15-2013 at 08:15 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    [Lina Lamont voice]I liked it.[/Lina Lamont voice]

But to each her own!

In other news, after nearly three months (which came after something like 10 years of seeing it just sit there on the bookshelf), I've finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell! Woohoo!!
    I do think it may be helpful to have never been to Scribner-Snyder High School or have lived in Fremont. That would cut down on the eye rolling every time you read the email headers.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I have ordered The Annotated Mansfield Park, due out in September 2014.

Right now I am reading The Annotated Northanger Abbey and loving the notes and illustrations.

Ooooh, I simply must own Dick Button's book, even if I don't celebrate Christmas.
    i ordered uncle dick's book the day it was available, i consider it a staple not for xmas

i think i would enjoy those annotated austen's

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast