Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

vCash
    So, I'm reading Fuse, which is the sequel to Pure. It's YA, written in third person present tense, which makes me want to set things on fire, but the story is really good, so I deal with it.

However - we now have not one, but TWO love triangles. Neither of them add anything to the book except otherwise strong characters dithering and being angsty. But my biggest snark is the one couple had sex. That's not the snark (I actually thought the scene was well written and tasteful - not an easy task). My snark is that OF COURSE she's pregnant. Because you can't have sex in YA novel without consequences, right? My other snark is that she has only been separated from boy for a month, but already knows because she's missed "several" periods. THEY HAD SEX ONCE. RIGHT BEFORE HE LEFT. How often are her periods?

Gah. Oh, and this book is a trilogy, so I expect the third book to be godawful. Like all YA trilogies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    So, I'm reading Fuse, which is the sequel to Pure. It's YA, written in third person present tense, which makes me want to set things on fire, but the story is really good, so I deal with it.

However - we now have not one, but TWO love triangles. Neither of them add anything to the book except otherwise strong characters dithering and being angsty. But my biggest snark is the one couple had sex. That's not the snark (I actually thought the scene was well written and tasteful - not an easy task). My snark is that OF COURSE she's pregnant. Because you can't have sex in YA novel without consequences, right?
    You're reading the wrong YA novels if that's the case

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Has anyone here read anything by Gene Wolfe, and, if so, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
    Wolfe is a little hit or miss for me, stylistically fantastic. Book of the New Sun is probably *the* Wolfe book to read.

However - we now have not one, but TWO love triangles. Neither of them add anything to the book except otherwise strong characters dithering and being angsty. But my biggest snark is the one couple had sex. That's not the snark (I actually thought the scene was well written and tasteful - not an easy task). My snark is that OF COURSE she's pregnant. Because you can't have sex in YA novel without consequences, right? My other snark is that she has only been separated from boy for a month, but already knows because she's missed "several" periods. THEY HAD SEX ONCE. RIGHT BEFORE HE LEFT. How often are her periods?
    That was a thing I found very refreshing when reading a Swedish YA series (starting with The Circle), where they'd actually act like teenagers and have sex without insta-pregnancy.

It feels like I'm not reading at all these days, I'm at about 50 books this year, so it can't be *that* bad, although the last 3 years I read about 65, so there is a little dip. Not enough hours in the day.

vCash
    My Amazon order arrived and I'm happily devouring C.S. Harris' eighth Sebastien St. Cyr mystery "What Darkness Brings" A Regency mystery, this one involves the murder of a throughly repulsive blackmailer, Sebastien's ex-mistress' gay husband who's accused of the crime and a legendary blue diamond that may or may not have been part of the French crown jewels. Meanwhile, Sebastien's pregnant whife, Hero, is investigating the plight of child street sweepers while her puppet-master father plots to cover up yet another of the Prince Regent's follies before the rest of the govermnment finds out and plunges the country into another war. Business as usual....

In the car, I have an oldie-but-goody going on audio: Tom Clancy's thiller "The Bear and the Dragon". Im sort of in awe of the reader's ability to shift accents to identify the Russian, the Chinese and the Japanese speakers but his Americans all the sound the same.

I am so looking forward to the long weekend and having Personal Reading Time! I have a whole big box from Amazon that I haven't opened yet! *insert Happy Dance here*
    Last edited by zaphyre14; 11-25-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    The Washington Post's Top Ten Books of the Year: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...1fc_story.html

I haven't read any of them (although I've read some of Louise Penney's other books), but I see some interesting possibilities there.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    dd shocked to see I'd checked out Shades of Grey. Had to clarify that I would never, ever read the slutty Fifty Shades of Grey, but that this was a book by Jasper Fforde that came out in 2009. Interesting book, btw. Sort of Brave New World-ish, but with more humor.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I finished the C.S. Harris mystery (and can't wait for the next installment!) and whipped through Evanovitch's "Takedown Twenty" in a few hours over the weekend. "T20" was okay and a good enough no-brain-involved read for the post Thanksgiving turkey stupor but there is something missing from the earlier books in the series. Or maybe the who plotline is just tired.Nothing much in the character development vein at all and Stephanie ends the book in the same place she was at the beginning, with pretty much nothing new learned by anyone.

And now I'm reaching the end of Ruth Downey's "Seper Fidelis" Roman mystery. Poor Ruso is back in Britannia, trying to stay below the emperor Hadrian's radar while treating native recruits injured by a sadistic General's basic training regime. When the general turns up dead, though, Ruso beomes Suspect #1 and all his past misdeeds come back crashing on his head and his long-suffereing wife Tilly gets caught in the middle between the military and the native townspeople. It's complicated and intricate and I really like Downey's depiction of life on the fringes of the Roman empire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The Washington Post's Top Ten Books of the Year: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...1fc_story.html

I haven't read any of them (although I've read some of Louise Penney's other books), but I see some interesting possibilities there.
    I've read all of the Louise Penney Gamache series. A few clunkers in there, but How the Light Gets In was really good. Also loved A Beautiful Mystery which I'd read out of order. Re-reading it made more sense after I'd finished the other books. I've got The Good Lord Bird on reserve at the library. Read a chapter online and was hooked. Tried to read some of the others on the list and failed.

Finally reading Five Days at Memorial about Memorial Hospital in New Orleans during the aftermath of Katrina. Just gut wrenching to read what happened to the patients at the hospital and in the days after.

Note - for Kindle owners - there's about 8,000 books on sale today at Amazon. My budget is $20. I'm sad.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I finished Allegiant last night. It didn't suck as much as I thought it might (or as much as Insurgent did). Still a disappointment after the promise of Divergent, but not terrible.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Has anyone else read Reclaimed (Sarah Guillory)? It is a book written by one of the teachers I work with. I started it today and am already enjoying it. I will let you know what I think when finished.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I've jumped from Acient Roman Britain to Pre-Civil-War New Orleans (love literary time-travel!) in starting Barbara Hambly's most recent Benjamin January mystery, "Good Man Friday". I only go through a couple pages of the prologue before my alarm went off this morning but I'm hooked and anxious to know what happens next.

And I've started another Jack Reacher audio in the car "Echo Burning." Chonologically it comes before the one I just finished a week ago but since the books don't seem to have a lot of long-term character development going on over the series, I don't anticipate a problem going backwards. Reacher's Have-Toothbrush-Will-Travel philosphy is starting to bug me though. How long can he wear the same clothes (especially in Texas in the summer) before he smells more than a little ripe?

vCash
    Goodreads best books of 2013, in 20 categories. As voted on by members.

And if you want even more books to add to your list, check out the runners up in each category.

vCash
    Had a sick day today, so I reread an old favorite of mine, Two Suns in the Sky by Miriam Bat-Ami. It's about the only refugee camp in the US during WWII, a part of history that doesn't seem to get a lot of coverage. I find it fascinating though, and now as an adult I still think the story is really interesting and well done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Goodreads best books of 2013, in 20 categories. As voted on by members.

And if you want even more books to add to your list, check out the runners up in each category.
    I'm elated that Rainbow Rowell's books were the top two in the YA category, with Eleanor and Park taking the win. I haven't enjoyed a YA novel (or any novel, for that matter) as much as that one in a long time.

vCash
    Huh. Rainbow Rowell is from Nebraska; she used to write a weekly column in the paper. Sometimes it was good; mostly it was meh. I will have to check her books out.

vCash
    I've switched from past to future and am wading through J.D. Robb's "Thankless In Death" and feeling rather let down. Maybe it's the knowing-who-the-killer-is-right-from-the-start plotline or maybe I'm just getting tired of the same-old-same-old Eve angst but this one just doesn't grab me. I've skimmed over some of the descriptions of torure and violence and now I'm just reading it to get to the end because I paid for the darned book so I'm going to finish it!

vCash
    Huh. Rainbow Rowell is from Nebraska; she used to write a weekly column in the paper. Sometimes it was good; mostly it was meh. I will have to check her books out.
    She's turned out to be a very talented novelist. However, I personally preferred her novel for adults, Attachments, to either of her two Young Adult novels.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I finished Mad About the Boy (the new Bridget Jones book) last night. I almost gave up on this one several time: Bridget is now 51, widowed, and with two small children, but has not matured at all since her 30-something days. And neither have her friends. So I found her obsessions about her weight, men, "professional" relationships, and number of Twitter followers to be tedious. Yet there was still a lot of humour and I LOLed often. I won't give away anything, but I did find it had a fairly satisfying conclusion, even if it felt a bit rushed. It almost made up for all the silliness that happened before that.

Now I'm trying to decide which to read next: Cross and Burn (the latest Val McDermid Jordan/Hill mystery), or the Chris Hadfield book, An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth. I wasn't paying close enough attention to my library holds and they both came in at once.

vCash
    If you like the first two books in Lev Grossman's Magicians trilogy, the third book comes out August 5th. Called The Magician's Land.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I'm reading Wild, which I decided to pick up after it was selected by a reading program I am sort of associated with, and because someone here liked it (I'm thinking genevieve?)

So far, it is driving me crazy. The author engages in all kinds of madly self-destructive behavior (yes, I do realize that this is a book about redemption, but still) and then goes off on the Pacific Coast Trail, ridiculously underprepared, to find herself.

She's tough, I'll give her that, but she's so stupid.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast