Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    vCash
    A little off topic, but has anyone seen The Book Thief movie? I'd like to, but it looks a little too lighthearted compared to the book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    PL, you really need to get White Fire, the newest Pendergast. We're back to the old Pendergast. No mopey, "I'm in such angst because my dear wife Helen was eaten by a lion. Oh, no, she wasn't. She was murdered by her brother. Oh, no, she's ALIVE. Oops, now she's dead." It's back to Mr. Cool. And, it's got a Sherlock Holmes and Oscar Wilde twist. Carrie Swanson is still a stupid twit. I don't know why he bothers. He doesn't usually tolerate stupid.
    Sweet. I will badger the school librarian to order it. Or break down and buy it myself, and then donate it. Whatever.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    A little off topic, but has anyone seen The Book Thief movie? I'd like to, but it looks a little too lighthearted compared to the book.
    My favourite reviewer said they'd made it too child-friendly. I'll still see it, I'm sure, but I'm not going to rush out. (And it's currently at 49% on Rotten Tomatoes -- yikes!)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I knew the movie could not compare. I will just rent it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    re book thief: THE MOVIE

spoilereded for those who have not read it but hopefully will soon

Spoiler

I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Lost Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I've been wanting to read this! Anymore thoughts?
    It's worth the read. They were 'throw away' victims. Police gave people trouble filing missing person reports since they were prostitutes and normally dropped off the grid. When one girl went missing after screaming down the road for help, people shut their doors, called 911 and it took police almost an hour to arrive. Then they didn't bother looking. Oak Beach NY comes off as a clubby backbiting group of snobs fighting for fiefdom control who ran their own police state. Family of the victims come off worse for the most part. It was hard to read, hard to put down, and ultimately made me sad. But well worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    re book thief: THE MOVIE

spoilereded for those who have not read it but hopefully will soon

Spoiler

No, they left it in. But my sense is it plays a much smaller role in the film. And also doesn't work nearly as well.

vCash
    Has anyone here read anything by Gene Wolfe, and, if so, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

vCash
    I'm reading Ashley Gardner's Regency mystery series that began with "The Haover Square Affair," continued with "A Reginmental Murder" and goes through "The Glass House" and onward through several more volumes that I haven't been able to lay my hands on yet/ Capt. Lacey is an impoverished soldier of good birth living in London on half-pay after the Eurpean wars have come to end with Waterloo. With too much time on his hands and too much curiosity for his own good, he solves unsavory crimes that the arisotcracy would prefer to keep buried. The first case incolved the kidnapping and sale of young women into prostitution; the second had its roots in the coverup of a soldier's muder in Spain and the third concerns an infamous but exclusive house of ill repute and a turf war between two underworld leaders. Lacey isn't a particularly appealing MC; he reminds me of a military Sherlock Holms: blunt, impatient, quick-tempered and melancholic but by the third volume, I'm beginning to see why the ladies of his aquaintance are so attracted to him and willing to put up with all his negative traits/ I'm glad there are more of his adventures ahead and will enjoy tracking them down.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    My favourite reviewer said they'd made it too child-friendly. I'll still see it, I'm sure, but I'm not going to rush out. (And it's currently at 49% on Rotten Tomatoes -- yikes!)
    That's what I was afraid of. I know The Book Thief is a YA book and the protagonist is pretty young, but it isn't a story for children. I wish they hadn't taken that approach with the film. It kind of cheapens it.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Interesting article for fellow Potter fans. Neville is the greatest character in the series. How many of you put together the generational parallels? They are obvious as soon as you think about it.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/11/nev...n-harry-potter
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I finished Insurgent last night. HATED the writing style - too choppy. I swear random scenes just appeared within a chapter that made no sense. First I thought it was the Kindle, then I realized it was the author.

Way too much "oh, will he love me if I do this horrible thing/oh he does, nice lips" for me. There's a decent storyline fighting to get out here. I'll finish the trilogy, but ugh.

vCash
    I read Divergent because I heard it was a good book. I didn't love it, and decided not to get Insurgent. But then I was bored and got Insurgent- it was even worse. What's really said, is I'll probably get the last book still. Why it isn't called Emergent is beyond my understanding.

Also recently read The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna. My husband got it for 99 cents on Kindle- since we both read it, I'd say it was worth it, but it was yet another YA novel that was a good story really wanting to come out. The ending was the worst thing about the book- it was abrupt and just over. Still it was readable in a day and an interesting idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I finished Insurgent last night. HATED the writing style - too choppy. I swear random scenes just appeared within a chapter that made no sense. First I thought it was the Kindle, then I realized it was the author.

Way too much "oh, will he love me if I do this horrible thing/oh he does, nice lips" for me. There's a decent storyline fighting to get out here. I'll finish the trilogy, but ugh.
    ITA. It really felt as if she decided half-way through writing Divergent to make it a trilogy -- but then didn't have the ability to carry it off.

And I know I'm not the target market for the gooey lovey dovey stuff but it still made me want to vomit.

I'm picking up Allegiant from the library tomorrow, but my expectations are very, very low.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I'm reading Ashley Gardner's Regency mystery series that began with "The Haover Square Affair," ...
    I read "The Hanover Square Affair" some time ago and enjoyed it, but never followed through with any of the other books. I may have to add more to my Nook list.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I got about 20 pages into "My Favorite Fangs: The Story of the Von Trapp Family Vampires" by Alan Goldsher and then tossed it as too gory and stupid for my tastes. I think the author was going for a campy send-up of The Sound of Music mixed with Dawn of the Dead but it didn't work for me. It's very rare that I don't finish a book I've paid real money for but I've had this hanging around for so long I don't remember where I got it so I'm telling myself it was one of the church sale lots I've picked up for next to nothing. Besides I just treated myself to a huge lot from Amazon (thanks to a whole box of rolled coins I found in the back of a closet; found money = books!) so I don't need to waste time on this dreck.

I also just received Alison Weir's "The Princes in the Tower" which looks way more interesting.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I also just received Alison Weir's "The Princes in the Tower" which looks way more interesting.
    If you get a chance, after reading Weir, read Bertram Fields's book, "Royal Blood" ... which is a lawyer's critique of her case against Richard III. (For the "Richard is guilty" side, Pollard's "Richard III and the Princes in the Tower" is, IMO, much stronger than Weir)

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I wasn't sure whether to post this here or start a new thread. I decided since it's about Sylvia Browne's books that I'd post here.

I'm a fan of Psychic Sylvia Browne and was reading one of her books, Phenomenon, right before I became ill in April of 2011. I never finished reading it and I'm doing that now.

I have several of her books, and went to her site to see some of her newer books. That's when I discovered that Sylvia died Wednesday, November 20th. I will definitely miss her. RIP, Sylvia.

http://www.sylviabrowne.com/
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Whether you were a "believer", or not, Sylvia was a fascinating person.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    If you get a chance, after reading Weir, read Bertram Fields's book, "Royal Blood" ... which is a lawyer's critique of her case against Richard III. (For the "Richard is guilty" side, Pollard's "Richard III and the Princes in the Tower" is, IMO, much stronger than Weir)
    thanks. i really enjoyed weir's book. i will look for fields'
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast