Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Anyone else have childhood expereinces with the book Strewwelpeter? That one gave me nightmares. But I think it was the images more than anything else.
    ….
    Yes, I was freaked out by the pictures when I was a kid. While a lot of the stories in Grimm and Andersen weren't much better, the illustrations in the editions I had were generally pretty tame.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    DAMMIT. I don't have time to read it right now. Let me know if any annoying characters get killed off. I was rather pleased wifey poo died in the last one.
    I'm hoping for Constance, but I figure there are future books coming with her demon spawn and the resurrection of Diogenes. We never did see a body after all.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Took a detour from my book pile and finally read The Book Thief by Markua Zusak. I I can't remember the last time I was so affected by a book. Truly one of the best I've ever read.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    Took a detour from my book pile and finally read The Book Thief by Markua Zusak. I I can't remember the last time I was so affected by a book. Truly one of the best I've ever read.
    One of the english classes at my school is reading this and I am so bummed that it isn't a class that I go to (I am an inclusion teacher). It is so incredible. I keep saying I will read it again but haven't done so, it doesn't help that I gave out my book and don't remember to whom.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I read The Book Thief very recently too -- it was a book club pick. And I agree, it's superb.

I'd be very interested in a high-school English class interpretation of the book. I know it's thought of as a young adult book, no doubt because of the age of the protagonist -- but my sense is that the writing style would be a bit of a challenge for a lot of younger readers to navigate. Still, there's plenty that any age group can take away from this book.

And I really, really hope they don't screw up the movie.

vCash
    Can some of you Preston and Child readers tell me if reading the first book "Relic" is absolutely necessary to picking up the series or can I skip to "Reliquary" without missing too much backstory? I started the audio of "Relic" but the first cassette was scratchy and hard to hear, I didn't care for the narrator's voice and I got so annoyed and confused that I gave up. Now I have credits to burn at Audible.com and the series is coming up on a special 3-for-2 deal. I see that the subsequent volumes have a different narrator who sounds better on the sample. But I don't want to feel I've missed something important either. Advice, please?
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Relic is one of my all time favorite books. While you don't necessarily need it, it does introduce all the main characters and set up later books.

Hypothalamus eating monster running amuck in a museum? You gotta get through it.

vCash
    Now that my replacement Kindle has finally arrived, I can FINALLY finish reading the Divergent series. My Kindle went out in the middle in the middle of book two. It's going to make a kickass movie. So far, I can definitely tell the author read The Hunger Games and thought, hmmm, how can I combine this with Harry Potter and make Gryffindor and Slytherin the same house? I don't find it derivative exactly, but it's definitely inspired by.

The books are good so far, but I think they could have been great had they been written by a more nuanced, skilled writer.

ETA: I have finished reading the series. That was a crime against writing. I am PISSED. I am really, really, really ANGRY I've read this series. I am practically shaking. The author telegraphs more than a Russian wunderkid so you could see the Big Reveals a mile away, but that doesn't bother me if it's well-written and the ending is worth it. This is not. This was emotional manipulation at its worst.

Rant ahead:

Spoiler

Last edited by Matryeshka; 11-16-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Finished reading
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    If anyone is looking for some obscure older books, this list of the 100 best books from an 1898 edition of the Illustrated London News might be just the thing: http://timescolumns.typepad.com/stot...st-novels.html

I find old lists like that interesting because I like to see what has lasted and what hasn't. I haven't heard of half those books, yet the other half are pretty much set in stone in the canon. I am at The Mysteries of Udolpho and Clarissa being so highly ranked.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Consuelo - 1844 - George Sand
    The only book I hated more than Consuelo was its sequel, La Comtesse de Rudolstadt. Not a Sand fan at all. But it was nice to see others who stood the test of time.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I have MY literary husband's newest adventure in my hot little hands and will be cozied up with him tonight. That Princess person only thinks he belongs to her, but HE DOESN"T. Now, I just need Preston and Child to kill off a couple of annoying characters.
    Pray elaborate
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Yes, I was freaked out by the pictures when I was a kid. While a lot of the stories in Grimm and Andersen weren't much better, the illustrations in the editions I had were generally pretty tame.
    I have no idea about Andersen but I had a Grimm's fairy tale book whereas my mother made sure I didn't have the Strewwelpeter. She had nightmares from it as a kid. I got my hands on it when I was already able to read, so must have been around eight, likely older and was still freaked out by it. Mainly the story about the girl with the matches. I think the difference to Grimm and Andersen it, they're fairy tales, the Strewwelpeter might be tales, too, but they don't have the fairy tale character, the characters are made out to be "you and me". I think that book was actually written to teach kids stuff they're not supposed to do through a scare tactic. Not good, if you ask me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Can some of you Preston and Child readers tell me if reading the first book "Relic" is absolutely necessary to picking up the series or can I skip to "Reliquary" without missing too much backstory?
    Relic scared the shit out of me as a kid (and kickstarted my fascination with natural history museums at the same time), and it's one of my all-time favourites. I didn't care for Reliquary though.

Spoiler

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Pray elaborate
    As to who MY literary husband is or who I want killed off? If the first, Aloysius Pendergast (Doug Preston and Linc Child authors), if the second, I'd like to see Constance go back into the walls of the Rivercrest house and she could take Corrie Swanson with her. If we have to feature ancillary characters, then I'd like one about Proctor (he's Pendergast's driver/bodyguard/general whatever is needed go to guy.

Pemdergast is the coolest FBI guy there is. He makes Mulder look like a normal guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    ETA: I have finished reading the series. That was a crime against writing. I am PISSED. I am really, really, really ANGRY I've read this series. I am practically shaking. The author telegraphs more than a Russian wunderkid so you could see the Big Reveals a mile away, but that doesn't bother me if it's well-written and the ending is worth it. This is not. This was emotional manipulation at its worst.
    Thank you for the warning. I was 1/3 of the way through the final book when I saw your post, and you inspired me to disengage even more than I had because of the writing. (Those short chapters at the beginning and the clunky shifts between Points of View had me annoyed already.) So yeah. I finished out of curiosity and am glad I was prepared for the suckage. It's such a shame because I really did enjoy book 1.

vCash
    I liked Divergent, but parts of it really bugged me (too much 'Oh, I hope that hot guy likes me' crap going on). It was like Twilight without sparkly things. I have #2, but haven't read it yet, and when I saw the negative reviews start to pile up on Amazon for the 3rd, I cancelled my preorder.
    I recently reread the Hunger Games series. #3 wasn't bad when I revisited it, but I guess I was ready for all the twists this time.

I just finished The Lost Girls about a series of unsolved prostitute murders in Oak Beach, Long Island. No one comes off well in it. Riveting stuff.

Not sure what to start next. Maybe The Book Thief, maybe something lighter?

I liked Relic. And Reliquary. And Cabinet. And Still Life. I took a break from the books, but will be back to them eventually.

vCash
    Finished the new bio of Bob Fosse. Egads, that man's sex life was INSANE. Every show he did, he was sleeping with half the women in the cast and sexually harassing the other half. And all while he was still married to Gwen Verdon.

I'm honestly surprised he didn't die of exhaustion before the drugs and cigarettes and bad heart got him.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I just finished The Lost Girls about a series of unsolved prostitute murders in Oak Beach, Long Island. No one comes off well in it. Riveting stuff.
    I've been wanting to read this! Anymore thoughts?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post

Not sure what to start next. Maybe The Book Thief,
    Yes Yes Yes!!!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    PL, you really need to get White Fire, the newest Pendergast. We're back to the old Pendergast. No mopey, "I'm in such angst because my dear wife Helen was eaten by a lion. Oh, no, she wasn't. She was murdered by her brother. Oh, no, she's ALIVE. Oops, now she's dead." It's back to Mr. Cool. And, it's got a Sherlock Holmes and Oscar Wilde twist. Carrie Swanson is still a stupid twit. I don't know why he bothers. He doesn't usually tolerate stupid.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast