Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    vCash
    How about don't read Harry Potter to a kindergartener? Problem solved.

(Though I'm guessing that kid will also never be allowed to see a Disney movie...)

vCash
    Or any movie at all. It sounds like conflict in general is mostly just out the window.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    it's been a long time and i forgot all about it. but my friend skipped over the parts of harry potter where they note he's an orphan because her children are adopted.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    That makes no sense to me. I would have thought it would be awesome to give the kids a role model with that kind of significant item in common. And isn't Harry being an orphan kind of a big plot point? How did she do that and have the story make sense?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    That makes no sense to me. I would have thought it would be awesome to give the kids a role model with that kind of significant item in common. And isn't Harry being an orphan kind of a big plot point? How did she do that and have the story make sense?
    ita totally. plus at the time, the books were new and a lot of people were talking about them. i would imagine they had some idea of that through their friends. also, the boy was a great reader and probably wasnt fooled by her.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I agree 5 is too young to appreciate Harry Potter. It was written for 12 year old and up, but this lady has issues.
    I agree.

But when my kids were five, I read them stuff like Junie B. Jones and the Magic Treehouse books and other age-appropriate books like that, and there were plenty of parents who objected to those, too. Junie B. Jones was always getting in trouble and didn't suffer enough consequences (plus she called people names and referred to things as "stupid," a word that is apparently not allowed in a lot of homes) and the Magic Treehouse books were too scary and so on.

I find this an interesting phenomenon because I grew up in the era when the Victorian concept of children's books--that children's books existed to teach didactic moral lessons--was just beginning to die and the more modern approach was just starting to take hold, and let me tell you, those Victorian books were boring as hell. If you want your kids to read, they need to find reading interesting and engaging. They get enough lectures. But so many parents of young children seem to think that every moment has to be about Teaching Something Important.

But what really gets me about this piece (aside from the vegetable thing, which I don't think will ever cease to boggle) is that the author writes novels: http://www.amazon.com/Lynn-Messina/e/B001H6SVHA

Really? A vampire version of Little Women?????? And she's sanitizing Harry Potter?????
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Gross.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I'm reading Dish: How Gossip Became the News and the News Became Just Another Show. I picked it up because it was written by Jeanette Walls and I really enjoyed The Glass Castle, and now I cannot put it down because....it's chockful of juicy gossip.
    Sounds very interesting! Does the book talk about how news reporting has been in large part taken out of the hands of reporters and editors? With everybody and their brother willing to be interviewed, people calling in from disaster scenes on their cellphones? Major networks now using cellphone footage provided by people who happened to be there? And the highly competitive 24/7 news world that leads media to report unchecked info, rumours and speculation?

re it rushing toward the end - I've found that time and time again with biographies. They start strong with the early life and early career/what made them famous, and then seem to cram the second half of their lives into one final chapter, like they can't wait to finally finish the thing, or are rushing to meet a deadline. Annoying.

re parents censoring reading - didn't read the article as I'm not in the Harry Potter camp, but raising my hand as another whose parents were happy that I was reading both "age appropriate" books and whatever I found in my family's bookshelf, or at my grandparents' cottage where my grandmother had a huge library of books of all genres. Yay for reading, boo for censorship.

vCash
    I was another who read whatever I found on the bookshelf while growing up.
    As I said earlier, my father often supplied books to challenge me, and force me to think.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So my son asked me this morning if I knew that Vincent Van Gogh had cut off his ear and later shot himself. I suppose Van Gogh is the artist of the month they are studying at school. So much for pinkwashing. I haven't heard of any parental outrage.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I read a lot of inappropriate books as a kid/teenager too...the one that always boggles my mind in retrospect is that my mom gave me Flowers in the Attic to read when I was 12 or 13. I know that she mentioned that she herself had read it, so it's not that she didn't know how inappropriate it was, unless she somehow forgot. But that also seems unlikely because it seems like the kind of book that you would need brain bleach or some kind of massive head injury to forget how inappropriate that book was. So I'm left with the conclusion that she did remember and just didn't care, which also seems odd for my fairly conservative mother. Maybe someday I'll ask her and clear up the mystery because it just doesn't reconcile with the person I know! Anyways, I turned out fine in spite of some inapproriate reading material (and inappropriate movies/tv/etc) so I guess she knew what she was doing.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Sounds very interesting! Does the book talk about how news reporting has been in large part taken out of the hands of reporters and editors? With everybody and their brother willing to be interviewed, people calling in from disaster scenes on their cellphones? Major networks now using cellphone footage provided by people who happened to be there? And the highly competitive 24/7 news world that leads media to report unchecked info, rumours and speculation?
    The book was published in 2009; I'm guessing it was mostly written in the mid 2000s, so no.

The main focus is on tabloids--how the methods and subjects of tabloid magazines spread into mainstream publications, and into television, and how various interesting-as-opposed-to-significant events unfolded in ways that changed new coverage. There is some discussion of news-as-business and a bit about the pressure to run with stories without sufficient corroboration, but most of the focus is on the gossip industry. Walls was a gossip columnist herself, so no surprise there.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Didn't read the article but maybe I'm 5 again. Someone gave me a box load of children's books. In it is a whole set of Bobbsey Twins - so I'm reading the set. My only complaint is they are "updated" and I'm not sure how much has changed. I should be able to tell when I read the one where they go to the country. That was the only one we had as a child.

I work in an elementary school and there are parts of my day that are just plain unproductive, so I am reading much more children's literature. Has anyone read much Lois Lowery? I started The Giver today and I don't know how I feel about it.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The book was published in 2009; I'm guessing it was mostly written in the mid 2000s, so no.

The main focus is on tabloids--how the methods and subjects of tabloid magazines spread into mainstream publications, and into television, and how various interesting-as-opposed-to-significant events unfolded in ways that changed new coverage. There is some discussion of news-as-business and a bit about the pressure to run with stories without sufficient corroboration, but most of the focus is on the gossip industry. Walls was a gossip columnist herself, so no surprise there.
    I've been thinking about the idea of interesting vs significant that you mentioned earlier, and given that I live in Toronto and have been bombarded with "news" coverage of the mayor for the past six months, the idea of news vs gossip. His political work gets an average amount of coverage, but what he did or didn't do in private now makes headlines around the world.

I used to find it frustrating that media had so much influence and power when too often they offered sloppy/incomplete/unsourced or unchecked information as fact and of course most people believe it because, well "it was in the news." Now there's a whole other dimension - all those folks on the street who give interviews and tweet for their 15 seconds of fame, and a growing universe of bloggers - self proclaimed experts who often have little qualification other than a URL, and no one overseeing the quality and accuracy of what they publish. And yet they wield an increasing amount of influence in many sectors, and their stuff gets repeated to the point that it's believed because "it was on the internet."

Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Didn't read the article but maybe I'm 5 again. Someone gave me a box load of children's books. In it is a whole set of Bobbsey Twins - so I'm reading the set. My only complaint is they are "updated" and I'm not sure how much has changed. I should be able to tell when I read the one where they go to the country. That was the only one we had as a child.

I work in an elementary school and there are parts of my day that are just plain unproductive, so I am reading much more children's literature. Has anyone read much Lois Lowery? I started The Giver today and I don't know how I feel about it.
    Every now and then I buy books I read as a kid from used sellers on Amazon. It's interesting to me what I remember and don't remember about books, some that I reread many times as a youngster. One of my favourite authors as a pre-teen was Zilpha Keatley Snyder - those are still great books

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Has anyone read much Lois Lowery? I started The Giver today and I don't know how I feel about it.
    The Giver is a middle-school standard; I know a lot of people here have read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I've been thinking about the idea of interesting vs significant that you mentioned earlier, and given that I live in Toronto and have been bombarded with "news" coverage of the mayor for the past six months, the idea of news vs gossip. His political work gets an average amount of coverage, but what he did or didn't do in private now makes headlines around the world.

I used to find it frustrating that media had so much influence and power when too often they offered sloppy/incomplete/unsourced or unchecked information as fact and of course most people believe it because, well "it was in the news." Now there's a whole other dimension - all those folks on the street who give interviews and tweet for their 15 seconds of fame, and a growing universe of bloggers - self proclaimed experts who often have little qualification other than a URL, and no one overseeing the quality and accuracy of what they publish. And yet they wield an increasing amount of influence in many sectors, and their stuff gets repeated to the point that it's believed because "it was on the internet."
    I'm teaching a class on digital literacy and this is the kind of thing we are wrestling with--who are the gatekeepers? Should there even BE gatekeepers? And if there are no gatekeepers and we have to be our own gatekeepers, how can that be done, given the limitations we all face?

One of the things that I read in the book that was really startling was that the publication with the most stringent source-checking requirements is The National Enquirer. There are reasons that the Enquirer breaks some real news stories every now and then.

vCash
    I recently read "The Giver" because it was a Newberry Award winner and, way back in the Dark Ages of my college career, I did my thesis using those Award winners as the basis. I try to at least skim the recent winners, but I must have missed this one when it won. I wasn't particularly impressed with the vagueness of the ending and I don't know if I'm interested enough to bother with the rest of the saga.

I am in the middle of the audio of Lee Child's "Without Fail" in which Reacher is hired to find the holes in the Secret Service's protection of the Vice President. I don't understand why I find Reacher so interesting but I do. He and Clive Cussler's Supermen, Dirk Pitt and Kurt Austin are my traffic companions and I miss them when I don't have one or the other to drive around with.

The mother of my godchildren had strong ideas about appropriate reading for her kids (no violence, no sex, no drugs, etc.) but she was so severley dislexic herself (and her husband didn't care) that she asked me to pre-read all the books that her kids were given or wanted to get. The boys were reading way above their grade levels so I got to read all kinds of stuff for them that I never would have picked out on my own. I never censored anything and never told the kids that they couldn't read anything, which wasn't what their mother had in mind. I did put notes on the books that I thought she might question and asked the boys to talk to me about the contents afterward so we could discuss the questionable parts. I think that worked better than telling the kids that they couldn't read the entire book. Years later, their mother thanked me for doing that.
    Last edited by zaphyre14; 11-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I don't understand why I find Reacher so interesting but I do.
    My husband refers to him as "your boyfriend."

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Anyone else have childhood expereinces with the book Strewwelpeter? That one gave me nightmares. But I think it was the images more than anything else.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm looking for help finding a book/author. I was browsing a library shelf and spotted a new-to-me detective series that I thought I'd like to try. They're set in Africa (Kenya possibly, but I'm not 100% sure about that), and the blurb on the back compared him to the No 1 Ladies Detective series, but with more substance. The titles were kind of quirky and not immediately evocative of a detective series. I thought for sure I'd remember ... but between jetlag and the headcold I picked up on the flight home, it's gone completely from my memory. I tried googling "detective series set in Africa" but none of the ones that came up are right. Anyone? TIA.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I have MY literary husband's newest adventure in my hot little hands and will be cozied up with him tonight. That Princess person only thinks he belongs to her, but HE DOESN"T. Now, I just need Preston and Child to kill off a couple of annoying characters.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    DAMMIT. I don't have time to read it right now. Let me know if any annoying characters get killed off. I was rather pleased wifey poo died in the last one.

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast