Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Sure.

The assigned books are 1984, Fatherland by Robert Harris, The Handmaid's Tale, Children of Men (movie and book - the two are very different but both excellent) and Jennifer Government by Max Barry.

They also have to read one on their own. Some of the books they can choose from are The Maze Runner, The Hunger Games, The Giver, Matched (I hated this book, but the premise is interesting), Brave New World....there's more, but that's off the top of my head.
    Oh, I've actually read a fair number of these! Maybe I'm more familiar with the genre than I'd realized I'll try to get to Children of Men soon. Thanks!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

The Giver sounds familiar. Hmmmm
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

having a nice day
    vCash
    Well I must say, for being poorly written and with stilted dialogue from hell, I sure am racing thru "the cocktail waitress." I dunno if it's the train wreck effect or the seemingly twisty turny plot but it's hard to put down, if not especially easy to read.
    Have a nice day!

having a nice day
    vCash
    Okay, it was the train wreck effect cause that novel turned out to be cheezy as hell. It was definitely pulp-the kind you'd find half-hidden out in grandpa's workshed lol.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    For the extra booknerdy, Eleanor Catton just won the Booker Prize for her 2nd novel, The Luminaries. At 26 years old, she's the youngest winner ever. And at 850-ish pages, it's the longest book to win.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    spinner, i was hoping i'd find you here

any word on the goldfinch yet?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    A Streetcat Named Bob - a must read for all pet owners!
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MePaWG7...%3DMePaWG7g5FA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    The Giver sounds familiar. Hmmmm
    It's a great book and a quick read.

I'm so devastated about what they're doing to the movie. Taylor Swift?!

I'm reading the first Game of Thrones book (late, I know) which I am enjoying far more than I thought. Love the show and I thought I'd be bored by the book because I already know everything that's going to happen in the first few, but so far that's not the case

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony
    spinner, i was hoping i'd find you here

any word on the goldfinch yet?
    I have the advanced copy, but have yet to read it. I've had a lot of other advances I wanted to get through. I plan on starting it this weekend. It hits stores Tuesday and I haven't heard one person say anything but glowing things about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    It's a great book and a quick read.

I'm so devastated about what they're doing to the movie. Taylor Swift?!
    Wait. What?!

vCash
    The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon - Brad Stone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Wait. What?!
    Oh yes. She'll be playing Rosemary. It's terrible. Katie Holmes is going to be Jonas' mother And they've aged everyone up.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/09/2...e-giver-movie/

vCash
    Oh, gee, I hated "The Giver" with a passion. Too dreary for words and the non-ending drove me up a wall and off the cliff. So I won't bother with movie, no matter who's in it, but Swift and Holmes sound terrible.

I was sick all weekend and did nothing but read drivel: finished up Sharan Newman's "To Wear a White Cloak" and "Every Trick in the Book" by Lucy Arlington - which was a decent cozy mystery set around a novel-writing convention. I struggled through the Christan mystery "Storm over Coronado" that I bought in San Diego and found it weak on mystery and heavy on the Bible-thumping (God will send you a clue if you just ask, don't you know?) and probably won't bother with second one. That will teach me to buy unknown books on the fly! And now I'm into "White Murder" by David Wishart, a Roman mystery about chariot racers narrated by a protagonist who sounds like Sam Spade transported to Ancient Rome. Some of the anachronistic slang is jarring, but the plot's decent and there certainly are enough suspects to keep me guessing whodunnit.

I also sorted out my TBR shelf for the near future so I won't have to go hunting very far for the next book to read.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    2 new books picked up at the library today. The Jim Henson biography came in, excited about it. Back cover is Jim with Muppets, should have seen the librarian's double take. The other is promising - The Thinking Woman's Guide to Magic. She's a grad student, recently dumped by her long time BF who walks down the wrong path and into a different dimension. So far, it's part Alice in Wonderland and part Bridget Jones.

Last night, son and his friends grabbed a book and started tossing questions out like "The first thing your mother said to you today" or "What caused your death" and then read the first sentence on a random page of the book. Was pretty funny at times. I might do that at work...

vCash
    I went to town and bought four books this weekend:

a Spirou comic, Aventure en Australie, by Tome & Janry. It isn't their best work.

Animals Real and Imagined by Terryl Whitlatch, a world-leading creature designer and artist. An excellent source of inspiration and references.

Nordiska Väsen by Johan Egerkrans, a gorgeous book about the various supernatural critters in the Nordic countries, like trolls, giants, faeries, gnomes, and various other oddities that don't have any counterparts elsewhere. I'm only halfway through it, but loving it so far.

Death of the Family, a New 52 hardback trade about the Joker's return to Gotham. I haven't read it yet, and I haven't read anything else from this New 52 stuff, but the main bulk of the DC trades I own are stories pertaining to the Joker, so of course I had to check this one out. I just hope it's good, 'cos it was bloody expensive!

I also wanted to buy a book called Taxidermy, which looked awesome, but I decided I'd better wait until my next paycheck comes in...

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Just got the new Elizabeth George. 720 pages. Hope it's good. Otherwise it's used as a doorstop.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Just got the new Elizabeth George. 720 pages. Hope it's good. Otherwise it's used as a doorstop.
    I'm about 300 pp into it. Some good parts, and so far better than the previous 3 books ... but it's not keeping me up late reading it.

vCash
    Saw this in the bookstore yesterday . . . I'm kind of tempted!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gorgeous-N...mily+Dickinson
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I have the advanced copy, but have yet to read it. I've had a lot of other advances I wanted to get through. I plan on starting it this weekend. It hits stores Tuesday and I haven't heard one person say anything but glowing things about it.
    thanks!
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I'm catching up, having just discovered her books this summer. In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner is waiting to be read.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast