Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Alice Munro of Canada got the Nobel in literature. Anyone familiar with her work? Opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    We've been talking about this already in the Nobel Prize thread but I just wanted to cross-post and say how thrilled I am about Alice Munro's Nobel prize win. There have been past Nobel winners I've read and enjoyed, but she's the first one who's actually on my list of all-time favourite authors. She manages to write in a way that's exquisitely "literary" and still entirely accessible and relatable. Hugely deserving win.
    I think she writes wonderful short stories.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh I didn't know there is a Nobel thread. But thanks. I will check Alice Munro out.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 10-11-2013 at 01:17 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I don't particularly care for SF or Fantasy, but I've read 20 of them.

I just finished Diane Ravitch's The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education and will proceed to Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America's Public Schools as soon as I read something relaxing to de-stress. I work in a program funded by Bill Gates, but the things he says about education make me and these books sure aren't helping.
    Those are both on my list to be read but I'm scared I will and and all the way through

vCash
    I've also read about 20 of the sci fi books. I think the list is a bit of a misnomer, though. Many of the listings are multiple volumes. Isn't the Robert Jordan series about 16 volumes? More like 150 books.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Those are both on my list to be read but I'm scared I will and and all the way through
    In the first book, she covers how she gradually went from being one of the biggest supporters of voucher programs and mandatory testing to being completely opposed to both, and in the second book, she addresses the specific arguments against her first book by her critics--Arne Duncan, Bill Gates, Michelle Rhee, et al. Her writing is measured and careful; she's very good at making solid, evidence-based arguments, so if you don't reading about data and studies, you won't like the books.

If you're looking for ammunition, though...........
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Alice Munro of Canada got the Nobel in literature. Anyone familiar with her work? Opinions?
    She's been on my "to read' list forever, but I still have not. I heard/ read absolutely gushing reviews for many years; and I outsourced her to my husband ( he is the literary fiction type, more so than I am; I mix things up a bit). He was positive but not excited. Have to try for myself someday, we don't always agree.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I still remember reading Alice Monro's short story in Grade 12 English class, and prior to that point had found literary analysis irritating and pointless, but the combination of her writing and a brilliant teacher made it probably the most enjoyable teaching I had in high school. It was like a light bulb suddenly went off in my head, and I could see the layers under the words. I've always intended to take a university level course in literature, or a least join a book group, but rural life has put that out of reach for now. But I have the book thread...

eta- Also, if you are going to read great Canadian women authors (Atwood and Monro) you should also add Carol Shields and Margaret Laurence to your "should read" list.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Well, I don't really care where they come from as long as I like the writing.
    Of course, winning the Nobel gets my attention.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    I got a Kindle recently, so have been reading more. Pre Internet days I used to read around 2/3 a week. Anyway, nothing really of note but I just finished the new Bridget Jones book and while I wasn't keen on Mark Darcy being killed off I ended up really enjoying it.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    I got a Kindle recently, so have been reading more. Pre Internet days I used to read around 2/3 a week. Anyway, nothing really of note but I just finished the new Bridget Jones book and while I wasn't keen on Mark Darcy being killed off I ended up really enjoying it.
    I hadn't realized there was a new book...or that Mark was killed off. Hmm, still might end up reading it sometime if I really need some light material.

For now, I'm reading the annotated Northanger Abbey, the latest that David Shepard has done (with only Mansfield Park yet to come). I forgot how much I don't care for the Gothic parody in the second half of the book. As naive as Catherine is earlier in the book, I don't buy that she would really be so stupid as to think that General Tilney murdered his wife. The little pokes at sentimental novels and remarks on how Catherine isn't your typical heroine earlier in the novel are much more entertaining. I found I was racing through the first 300 pages in Bath but now that I'm at the section at Northanger, I've slowed right down to a chapter a day.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh yeah, my pre-ordered annotated Northanger Abbey arrived the other day. But first I will finish The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared which I recommend highly--very funny and well-written.

As to Catherine believing in the murder--I totally buy it. Austen sets her up for that very well IMO, very consistent with her character.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I'm reading book written in third person omniscient, present tense.

I may not make it all the way through.

having a nice day
    vCash
    "Doctor Sleep" was an okay conclusion to "the shining." Sort of like how toy story 3 was satisfactory to wrap up that series. Now I have the last novel James M Cain wrote "the cocktail waitress" but I haven't started it yet as I have to go thru my cookbooks first so I can take the ones I don't use in for the library sale. Mmmmm...food! And a margarita up sounds gd too lol. This is going to be hard lol!!!!
    Have a nice day!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    An article on kingslayer jellyfish lead me to the book See Australia And Die.

I know the book is describing rare and unlikely events but not being a lover of the great outdoors anyway (see my siggy), my desire to visit Australia has somewhat cooled.

I was particularly interested in Melbourne and Sydney until I found out Melbourne has a team called Snakebusters whose job it is to remove snakes from places like bookstores (where I am likely to be found) and that Sydney has venomous spiders, found "up a shirtsleeve and under a pillow." You'd think wildlife would keep out of urban areas but no.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 10-13-2013 at 04:24 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I'm reading book written in third person omniscient, present tense.

I may not make it all the way through.
    Worst narrative choice ever.

Please name the book that I may avoid it!

vCash
    Have 3 out now from the library (not including a massive America's Test Kitchen cookbook). 1. The Bone Season - not sure I'll commit to a 7 book series. 2. Quarantine (looked good) "An eloquent and dramatic portrait of a city plagued by mysterious pestilence—as the isolation of the quarantine reveals the darker side of human nature." We'll see how eloquent it is... and 3. The Mourning Hours. I liked the cover. A girl's older brother is suspected in the death of his girlfriend.

Kindle wise, I'm finally reading The Iron King, the historical part is what George RR Martin said he based Game of Thrones on. Love it!

On hold for the Jim Henson biography (and a few others). I've pared down my reading lists lately. I had stress over so many unread books.

having a nice day
    vCash
    That cookbook only has few gd recipes in it. I checked it out twice to go over it with a fine toothed ah, fork. But the illustrations are v helpful esp the one about croissants.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Worst narrative choice ever.

Please name the book that I may avoid it!
    I've continued to slog through because the plot is interesting. It's called Pure. I'm sure a lot of the scenes were written with the movie in mind, and at least that won't be in present tense.

I would consider adding it to the reading list in my Dystopian Lit class if it weren't for the point of view. Oh, well.

vCash
    I would consider adding it to the reading list in my Dystopian Lit class if it weren't for the point of view. Oh, well.
    Can you share the existing reading list? It's not a genre I'm all that familiar with and I'd like to expand my reading horizons

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Can you share the existing reading list? It's not a genre I'm all that familiar with and I'd like to expand my reading horizons
    Sure.

The assigned books are 1984, Fatherland by Robert Harris, The Handmaid's Tale, Children of Men (movie and book - the two are very different but both excellent) and Jennifer Government by Max Barry.

They also have to read one on their own. Some of the books they can choose from are The Maze Runner, The Hunger Games, The Giver, Matched (I hated this book, but the premise is interesting), Brave New World....there's more, but that's off the top of my head.

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast