Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Ihttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Where_I_Leave_You

know several people here lived Jonathan Tropper's "This is Where I Leave You". The movie has been cast, and Jason Bateman will be playingJudd. Tina Fey, Jane Fonda, rose Byrne and Connie Britton are also in it. Tropper also wrote the screenplay and it will be directed by Shawn Levy.
    Thanks for that! I love Bateman, though he's a bit older than how I pictured Judd. And Tina Fey will be brilliant with that material. However I'm not a fan of Fonda, at all ... oh well, can't have everything.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    National Book Award Nominees

I haven't read a single book from the list. I have read some other works by some of the authors, though.

Thomas Pynchon-- Jhumpa Lahiri and Alice McDermott--

Is anyone here a Haruki Murakami fan? This made me laugh; some of the followup comments made me laugh even more.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Anyone read Steven King's Doctor Sleep?

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Is anyone here a Haruki Murakami fan? This made me laugh; some of the followup comments made me laugh even more.
    That was great. Makes me want to read another of his books. And eat some noodles.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have recently finished a Haruki Murakami novel--thanks for the article.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Does anyone know if there is a website where you can find out how many copies of each author's books have been sold? I know that you can find out about movie box office at Wikipedia and the-numbers.com and album sales at riaa.com and Wikipedia, but don't know of anywhere that tells us how many copies each book has been sold. Anyone know about this?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a website where you can find out how many copies of each author's books have been sold? I know that you can find out about movie box office at Wikipedia and the-numbers.com and album sales at riaa.com and Wikipedia, but don't know of anywhere that tells us how many copies each book has been sold. Anyone know about this?
    Ask a Librarian

I don't have a better answer than that, I'm afraid.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I like Box Office Mojo for movies. As noted in the Ask a Librarian answer, there's Nielsen BookScan, but that's a paid service; here's their UK site if you want to give it a shot.

Wikipedia does have an article about bestsellers.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 09-26-2013 at 09:15 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Just finished "Still Life" by Louise Penny (the first Gamache book).
    I have done the audio versions of the series and just finished listening to "How the Light Gets In". The last track is an interview with Louise Penny by the audio book's reader Ralph Cosham. He does not read the books ahead of time - just records them "cold" so what happens is as much of a surprise to him as it is to the listener. He mentioned that in one book series he did (not hers) a new character was introduced and 10 pages into it he found out the character speaks with a Scottish accent so he had to do it over again
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Finished A Swell-Looking Babe by Jim Thompson with mixed feelings. I felt like there was a potentially better book in there; it felt rushed, somehow, especially in the last few chapters. Which didn't stop me from picking up A Hell of a Woman right afterwards. He's taken a different narrative approach in this one; I get the idea that the narrator is making his final confession to someone before he goes to the electric chair, but we'll see.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    National Book Award Nominees

I haven't read a single book from the list. I have read some other works by some of the authors, though.

Thomas Pynchon-- Jhumpa Lahiri and Alice McDermott--
    Lahiri's The Lowland was quite good (no surprise, I don't think she can turn a bad phrase). And Marra's A Constellation of Vital Phenomena is out of this world stellar. If that book doesn't win a zillion awards I don't know what's wrong with people.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I'm #49 on the wait list for "dr sleep." At that rate I'll be reviewing it next year :-P
    "The handmaids tale" is worth reading. Keep slogging thru. It's not sci-fi. And IMO its not dystopian either. IMO it's a cautionary tale.

vCash
    Can something not be all three of those things at once?

I'm surprised anyone could say that it wasn't dystopian.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I wanted the movue but library only had the book but dayum it sure is a page turner: "the slap" by christos tsiolkas. Wow. The characters are really fleshed out and their stories are compelling. I've read 2/3 of it in one sitting!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I know we've talked about books we all liked to read when we were young, so I thought some might be interested in this: New Imprint to Reissue Vintage YA Books!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Are there any Tony Hillerman fans? His daughter Anna has written a new Leaphorn/Chee mystery (although it's mostly about Bernadette Manulito). It's an interesting contrast. She writes like a woman. There are subtle nuances in the book that Tony never paid any attention. For example, Tony never mentioned something like the pattern in the rug and what Navajo clan claimed that. Or describe the grocery store in the way a woman sees the grocery store. I never really liked Bernie as written by him, but I find I do in this new book. I didn't dislike her, but she was just there as a foil for Chee. Anna has the same understanding of Navajo culture that her father had and conveys that well in the book. More often than not, a different author trying to carry on with a long-standing and popular series doesn't succeed, but I think Anna Hillerman is going to do fine. I hope she continues to write. I've missed my excursions to the Big Rez with Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    A Hell of a Woman was a hell of a book. I finished it on the train this morning. The ending wasn't at all what I was expecting and it was interesting to watch the narrator disintegrate (psychologically) over the course of events. During the evening commute I went back to a VMC I'd started a while ago, Peking Picnic by Ann Bridge. The "embassy set" in Beijing; no specific year given, but probably mid to late 1920s as it was published in 1932 and no mention of the Depression so far. There's a little romance, a little social satire, and a little adventure/suspense. However, I'm bugged by the fact that most of the characters view the Chinese as quite admirable for an inferior race. I get that this was probably the prevailing attitude at the time, but it still jars a bit whenever I run into it. Other than that, I like Bridge as a writer. She was a diplomat's wife herself and it's clear that she was keenly interested in what lay beyond the walls of the Embassy Quarter.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Are there any Tony Hillerman fans? His daughter Anna has written a new Leaphorn/Chee mystery (although it's mostly about Bernadette Manulito). It's an interesting contrast. She writes like a woman. There are subtle nuances in the book that Tony never paid any attention. For example, Tony never mentioned something like the pattern in the rug and what Navajo clan claimed that. Or describe the grocery store in the way a woman sees the grocery store. I never really liked Bernie as written by him, but I find I do in this new book. I didn't dislike her, but she was just there as a foil for Chee. Anna has the same understanding of Navajo culture that her father had and conveys that well in the book. More often than not, a different author trying to carry on with a long-standing and popular series doesn't succeed, but I think Anna Hillerman is going to do fine. I hope she continues to write. I've missed my excursions to the Big Rez with Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee.
    I just finished Listening Woman today. I started reading Hillerman because a brother-in-law loves his writing. I can't say I love it, but it is growing on me.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    When I was in grad school, a couple of friends and I made the Hillerman tour through Navajo county. We went to Shiprock and Window Rock and got overly excited when we saw a tribal police car. We had lunch at the Anasazi Inn (which is the real Navajo Inn mentioned in the novels).
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    It's not sci-fi. And IMO its not dystopian either. IMO it's a cautionary tale.
    By any definition, if it is a cautionary tale about a possible future, then it IS science fiction, whether it gets shelved in the SF ghetto, or with "real" literature. Sometimes it is interesting to see books jump from one section to the other. 1Q84 and Wool are recent examples.

On a less argumentative point- I turned around in my hotel restaurant last year and went totally fangirl inside at seeing Margaret Atwood at the next table. I didn't let my husband converse with me at all, as I eavesdropped on her conversation about autographing kindles. She seemed like a fascinating woman to spend time with.

I didn't much like Oryx and Crake, but from the sounds of it, Year of the Flood and MaddAddam improve on it.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast