Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    JKR is writing an 8th HP. She's supposed to announce the publication date and details later this week.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Please tell me it is not about Albus Severus. I want it to be about the marauders so bad I could cry. Or how Snape magically came back from the dead and got together with Hermione and the whole epilogue was a big fat lie.

Oh wait. It's a lie, rfisher.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    rfisher, sadly it IS a hoax. But here's a little something to make you feel better. Super cute.

And I do love JKR's shirt and sweater in michiru's link.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Lalalalalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you. She's going to do it. She has to do it. Her other books suck. She'll be poor and have to move out of her big house in Scotland and live in a coffee shop with all 3 kids.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Lalalalalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you. She's going to do it. She has to do it. Her other books suck. She'll be poor and have to move out of her big house in Scotland and live in a coffee shop with all 3 kids.
    ITA. Even joke Harry Potter would be better than her last two efforts.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Prancer, I neeeeeeeed you to read the new Reacher so I can bitch about how much I hate Lee Childs at the moment.
    Okay, I finished it. Bitch away .
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Okay, I finished it. Bitch away .
    I hate that Reacher was left with nothing. No kid. No female who understood him. I don't know what LC has in mind for the future, but it's sadder and more empty than it was before he introduced Susan Turner all those books ago. Reacher has had a purpose, however tenuous, and now it's gone. Unless, Child has something in mind. I mean, he wrote the damn books. If he puts Reacher back on the road with endless wandering, I'm done. Child has done all that can be done with that theme and now it just seems pointless. None of the other female characters were written in a manner that it was a big deal when Reacher went back on the road. This sort of was, especially, since she more or less took the initative in telling him she was staying. She pulled a Reacher on Reacher. I did laugh out loud at several points and felt Reacher was much more human than robot in this book than in a long time.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    If he puts Reacher back on the road with endless wandering, I'm done.
    I expect that he will. All that talk about envying the wolf pretty much defines Reacher. And I can't see too many people liking it if Reacher were to become domesticated; what people like about him is that he is unfettered, neither tied down by family nor bogged down by a normal conscience.

I didn't like this one much; a lot of things annoyed me, not least of which was

Spoiler

Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I expect that he will. All that talk about envying the wolf pretty much defines Reacher. And I can't see too many people liking it if Reacher were to become domesticated; what people like about him is that he is unfettered, neither tied down by family nor bogged down by a normal conscience.

I didn't like this one much; a lot of things annoyed me, not least of which was

Spoiler

Yeah, I figureed that spoiler out early as well, albeit, the end was not quite what I'd figured.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Just spotted that Marisha Pessl (author of Night Film) will be at the Vancouver Writers Fest in October. She's on a panel about thrillers, appropriately called "Up All Night," with Scott Turow and Lisa Moore.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    eta-that was strange - I sure I didn't click on the Book thread.

Ummm- I'm starting Judas Unchained for the third time. I dunno- I read Pandora's Star and could hardly put it down. I think Judas Unchained is hard to read because I'm starting it in the midst of a very complex story.
    Last edited by rjblue; 09-11-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Please tell me it is not about Albus Severus. I want it to be about the marauders so bad I could cry. Or how Snape magically came back from the dead and got together with Hermione and the whole epilogue was a big fat lie.

Oh wait. It's a lie, rfisher.
    However this one appears to be true: a film version of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, just announced today.

Not as good as a new HP book ... but it should still be fun!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I know there are quite a few people here who like audiobooks, so this might be worth a look: Four Audiobook Narrators Who Could Make the Dictionary Compelling

Just me
    vCash
    I would add a fifth, Richard Armitage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsLOyLdNa5Y
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash

Re: New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I would add a fifth, Richard Armitage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsLOyLdNa5Y
    Oh goodness yes! ITA!

Does anyone have any good fiction titles recs? I'm currently reading a lot of non-fiction because I can't find any fiction that keeps me engaged. I want something that is feel good (I can't do any depressing reads right now) but not predictable. Also, something that is not too easy but not too hard either would be great. Lastly, I want to stay away from smutty books. I'm not really in the mood for that now either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I would add a fifth, Richard Armitage
    Except I really think that Richard Armitage should be seen and heard

Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Does anyone have any good fiction titles recs? I'm currently reading a lot of non-fiction because I can't find any fiction that keeps me engaged. I want something that is feel good (I can't do any depressing reads right now) but not predictable. Also, something that is not too easy but not too hard either would be great. Lastly, I want to stay away from smutty books. I'm not really in the mood for that now either.
    Can you give books that you've read and liked that fit this request, just to give an idea of what you're likely to enjoy? I mainly read romance so chances are I can't help you in the non-predictable category, but I can probably tick off the other too pretty easily (focusing on books with less/mildersexual content).

Kobo has a fifty percent off code again (Sept50) which I have used so far to buy a romantic suspense novel and John Scalzi's Redshirts (now a Hugo winner). I'm considering what else to buy.

vCash
    I'm re-reading the Dune series by Frank Herbert these days. Nothing I've picked up recently has held my interest. Hoping The Shining Girls breaks the trend, it took a while to get from the library. Also picked up To the End of June, a book about kids aging out of the foster care system.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I've read Divergent, Reconstructing Amelia, If I Stay and Gone Girl. I can't imagine If I Stay as a great movie...I know it was a popular book, but out of the dead/almost dead/dying teenage books, Before I Fall is much stronger. I liked Divergent, but haven't read the sequels. I think Shailene Woodley will do the character justice. Reconstructing Amelia is a meh book, but I can see Nicole Kidman doing the character much better than the author herself did.
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    More the writing. I thought the story sounded interesting too, which is why I read it. The writing isn't anything special, and the characters are really annoying and unlikable (Gone Girl's characters are unlikable too, but I was invested in the story; it was not the case with this book). And then there's this whole "reveal" that is super cliche.

Also I lived in the area the book takes place in and it just felt like she was namedropping places
    I had this one on request at the library and when it came in, I thought I would read it, since it was there.

I thought the writing was pretty good, but the story itself--meh. Muchly meh. Totally predictable, although you can tell as you are reading that the author thinks you are going to be shocked, shocked! at this turn of events. Um, no.

I thought the author was namedropping, too (Rich! These people are rich! Look at this address!) but since I have no idea where any of those places are, the effect was rather lost on me .

vCash

Re: New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Except I really think that Richard Armitage should be seen and heard

Can you give books that you've read and liked that fit this request, just to give an idea of what you're likely to enjoy? I mainly read romance so chances are I can't help you in the non-predictable category, but I can probably tick off the other too pretty easily (focusing on books with less/mildersexual content).

Kobo has a fifty percent off code again (Sept50) which I have used so far to buy a romantic suspense novel and John Scalzi's Redshirts (now a Hugo winner). I'm considering what else to buy.
    Non-predictable may be hard to fit with other criteria. I like books by authors like Sarah Addison Allen and Catherine McKenzie. I like romance too but I can't seem to come by any that aren't on the sexy side (especially since I like contemporary romance). Not that I mind racier stuff from time to time. I just need a break from it now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    JKR is writing an 8th HP. She's supposed to announce the publication date and details later this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    rfisher, sadly it IS a hoax. But here's a little something to make you feel better. Super cute.

And I do love JKR's shirt and sweater in michiru's link.
    I still think she will eventually write something else HP related. Whether it will focus on the adults or the characters we only learned a little about, who knows. I wouldn't mind a prequel series. She probably has tons and tons of ideas. I think a prequel would go over well in 5-10 years as all the fans will be well into adulthood and more interested in what happened before Harry Potter.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast