Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for posting!

(Though personally I find "bookeen" awkward and a bit weird looking. I'd be more in favour of "bookette.")
    I'm confused. The article mentions how authors have always enjoyed writing the novella and novelette length stories. Why do we need new words for this length of writing, when perfectly good ones have been around for a long time.

The bestseller Wool, by Hugh Howey, began as a stand alone novella. I'm quite glad it was not called a bookeen or bookette- that sounds like something I'd buy for a toddler
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green in one sitting last night (and stayed up til 3 AM). And of course, cried like a million times.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    He made Reacher human rather than the robot machine of the last 5 or so books then he crushed us. I hate him.
    I just downloaded it. I won't have time to read it today, but it won't take me long. Reacher never does.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    And, PL, there's a new Pendergast coming and you'd better not get another advanced copy.
    I will just ask my good friend Spinner for one for my birthday.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I just downloaded it. I won't have time to read it today, but it won't take me long. Reacher never does.
    LC clearly wrote this one for his female readers (which are the majority). He should pay more attention to us, but he's an idiot.

You'll get annoyed with the 50-50 references, but I figure that was to up the word and page count for the publisher. You can skip those passages.

Listen Leppard, you better not be waving around a copy of that book. Unless they kill off Constance in which case let me know and I'll forgive Spinner. I won't forgive you, but I'll forgive him.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    It's National Buy a Book Day! Everyone go hit the bookstore!

http://www.buyabookday.org/home.html
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I did end up deciding to read Thirteen Reasons Why for book club and reacted a little bit like Prancer and genevieve in that I didn't think it was great, but it wasn't awful either and it wasn't too taxing to read. I hope this doesn't sound too insensitive, I did find myself thinking during the first several chapters that the reasons behind the suicide seemed rather petty, but the last few were much more powerful and made it make sense more. I think the book might have been better if it had only been told from Hannah's perspective, as the interjections from Clay didn't add much, if anything, to the story and mostly seemed to be a distraction. Sometimes I would lose track of whether I was reading Clay's thoughts or Hannah's speaking, even with the italics for her words to help me out. I do see how this is a good book for the YA genre, however, and could be good for starting conversations with teens on the topic.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green in one sitting last night (and stayed up til 3 AM). And of course, cried like a million times.
    I read it in one sitting too. I'm looking forward to crying at the movie.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    The characters in The Vicar's Daughter are being just a little too civilized, even when they're behaving badly, so I'm alternatig it with A Swell-Looking Babe. You can always count on Jim Thompson for something gritty. I'm not sure where he's going with this one, but it's a fairly safe bet that it won't end well for anyone.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I'm confused. The article mentions how authors have always enjoyed writing the novella and novelette length stories. Why do we need new words for this length of writing, when perfectly good ones have been around for a long time.
    I think it's more about defining the physical (or electronic equivalent of physical) parameters of the work. So "book" is to "novel" as "bookeen/bookette" is to "novella" (or short story). The premise being that anything shorter or longer than the standard understanding of "book" has a hard time finding a place in the publishing world.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    It's National Buy a Book Day! Everyone go hit the bookstore!
    http://www.buyabookday.org/home.html
    Uh oh, I spet the day playing an early-morning gig at the library, going to Fringe plays, watching roller derby, and sampling some new craft beer offerings. Didn't manage to fit a bookstore visit in there. If only I'd known!
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 09-08-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I think it's more about defining the physical (or electronic equivalent of physical) parameters of the work. So "book" is to "novel" as "bookeen/bookette" is to "novella" (or short story). The premise being that anything shorter or longer than the standard understanding of "book" has a hard time finding a place in the publishing world.
    That makes sense. If you buy a book it could be a novel, or a biography, or a cookbook. And a bookeen that was fictional would contain a novella or novelette.

Thanks.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    bookeen always reminds me of god's bodkin for some reason
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    a friend who's majorylyI have Anita Shreve's "Light on Snow" going in the car. Have I mentioned before how much I hate First-person Present tense writing? I kind of like the plot but the narration is irksome and, since the narrator has made the point several times that she is looking back on the events of her past, telling the story in present tense is just an annoying literary device.

In paper at home, I have "Intrigue at Coronado" and "Storm Over Coronado" by Donna Jeremiah and Peggy Leslie on deck. I bought the two books while on vacation in San Diego because I try to read something related to the place I'm visiting but I'm kind of wishing I had done a little more investigating before plunking down my $$$. I thought that the authors names sounded pseudonymish so I googled them and found out that they're both heavily involved in a "conservative evangelical" Christian minstry organization run by Donna's husband, who sounds like a major iece of work in all his biographies online. The books don't blurb as "Christian" and the mystery plots sound interesting enough but I'm worried about being preached at and I definitley don't like the idea of my $$$ going to finance, however indirectly, somebody's megachurch. Oh, well, I guess if I really hate them, I can send them along to a friend who's into Christian fiction. The reviews on Amazon don't mention a Christian theme, though, so I'm hopefuly of getting decent reads as soon as I finish up Tracy Grant's "Beneath a Silent Moon" tonight.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    You'll get annoyed with the 50-50 references, but I figure that was to up the word and page count for the publisher. You can skip those passages.
    I've hit the incessant 50/50 references and they are , especially since they are inaccurate, and even more so because we all know Reacher is going to repeatedly beat the odds because otherwise, there wouldn't be a whole lot of action.

And it seems to me there are a bunch of places where he is upping the word count, even if I don't count his usual first-line-of-Wikipedia-entry info-bytes (the Pentagon has 17 miles of hallways and nearly 30,000 personnel). The most :eyeroll: inducing so far was when Susan took her jacket off in the car. First she eased the jacket back, then she tugged on one sleeve, then she shifted, then she removed her left arm and then she removed her right arm. In other words, she took the jacket off. Four sentences it took for her to take off the jacket! And all these very short chapters with cliffhanger endings are beginning to remind me of Dan Brown--not as bad, but definitely closer than he used to be.

I'm up to where they just had breakfast in the diner that didn't serve omelettes and then checked into the motel. Reacher has just had an epiphany. I dunno, rfisher; you say it gets worse from here?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Just me
    vCash
    I think this may have been discussed in the past, but I've just been persuaded to read A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and am about a third of the way through. Witches and Vampires are not usually my cup of tea, but I like this one so far. Will I continue to enjoy it, or is disappointment on the horizon?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I've hit the incessant 50/50 references and they are , especially since they are inaccurate, and even more so because we all know Reacher is going to repeatedly beat the odds because otherwise, there wouldn't be a whole lot of action.

And it seems to me there are a bunch of places where he is upping the word count, even if I don't count his usual first-line-of-Wikipedia-entry info-bytes (the Pentagon has 17 miles of hallways and nearly 30,000 personnel). The most :eyeroll: inducing so far was when Susan took her jacket off in the car. First she eased the jacket back, then she tugged on one sleeve, then she shifted, then she removed her left arm and then she removed her right arm. In other words, she took the jacket off. Four sentences it took for her to take off the jacket! And all these very short chapters with cliffhanger endings are beginning to remind me of Dan Brown--not as bad, but definitely closer than he used to be.

I'm up to where they just had breakfast in the diner that didn't serve omelettes and then checked into the motel. Reacher has just had an epiphany. I dunno, rfisher; you say it gets worse from here?
    well, worse if relevant. He's going to discuss being pedantic later on. Ignoring all the little LC writer issues, this is the first book where you care about the female character (or at least I did). They are usually written as a minor diversion for Reacher, but we've waited 4 books to actually meet Susan Turner. Reacher actually begins to think about his life and what he's missed (kids being one of them). This isn't just the aimless wandering that is typical of the books. He has a purpose. I found the ending very sad this time which is also different than the other books. I really don't know what LC will do going forward. The underlying theme in the last 4 books was Reacher getting to DC with some diversions along the way. I don't know what will be the point of the next book. If it's back to aimless wandering, I'm through.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I know I've certainly read a lot worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I think this may have been discussed in the past, but I've just been persuaded to read A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and am about a third of the way through. Witches and Vampires are not usually my cup of tea, but I like this one so far. Will I continue to enjoy it, or is disappointment on the horizon?
    Nan, I liked "Discovery" and its sequel and am looking forward to the next volume. I thought it was an interesting take on the genre and wasn't disappointed at all.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Just me
    vCash
    Thanks, rfisher and zaphyre, for the recommendation.

I've heard this first book of the trilogy has been picked-up by Warner Brothers. Any idea who you would like to see play the male lead?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Nan, I liked "Discovery" and its sequel and am looking forward to the next volume. I thought it was an interesting take on the genre and wasn't disappointed at all.
    Thank you. I bought this when it first came out but haven't read it yet. I read some reviews on Goodreads and got scared. Maybe I won't be so scared to read it now.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast