Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

vCash
    I have Elizabeth George's short story collection, "I, Richard" going in the car. I don't know if it's abridged or not but I've had to rewind the first sory a couple times, thinking I missed something.

And I'm reading James Patterson's "The 11th Hour" this weekend. Totally different style. It feels almost too spare but that could just be the contrast between it and the lusher prose I've been reading before it.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I agree that The Book Thief will have a hard time translating to film. But I'm keeping an open mind. Gone Girl, OTH, is tailor-made for film I think. I'm not sure about Ben Affleck (I know he's not actually that much older but he seems older -- and that's 2 questionable casting choices for him now!) but I think Rosamund Pike is a great choice. Tho I seem to recall it was Reese Witherspoon who optioned the book, I had already been picturing her in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I have Elizabeth George's short story collection, "I, Richard" going in the car. I don't know if it's abridged or not but I've had to rewind the first sory a couple times, thinking I missed something.
    I don't know if it's abridged or not either, but I do remember being hugely disappointed with the collection. Some novelists just can't do short stories, and George is obviously one of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    14 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen--some people here are way ahead of this list, especially those who read YA.
    I'm only at 2 on that list (Gone Girl and Book Thief) but I generally prefer to see the movie before I read the book anyway. I realize this is somewhat backward, but it seems to be the best way for me to enjoy both. If the movie is halfway decent, I can enjoy it on its own merits without comparing to the book, then I am usually wanting more, so I check out the book and since it is typically better than the movie, I enjoy that even more. I seem to have quite a few examples where I see the movie first and like both the book and the movie but only a handful where I've read the book first and still liked the movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I'm only at 2 on that list (Gone Girl and Book Thief) but I generally prefer to see the movie before I read the book anyway. I realize this is somewhat backward, but it seems to be the best way for me to enjoy both. If the movie is halfway decent, I can enjoy it on its own merits without comparing to the book, then I am usually wanting more, so I check out the book and since it is typically better than the movie, I enjoy that even more. I seem to have quite a few examples where I see the movie first and like both the book and the movie but only a handful where I've read the book first and still liked the movie.
    I tend to feel the same way. Or, since I have a terrible memory, I don't want to see the movie until quite some time has passed since I've read the book. However, it's been a number of years since I read The Book Thief and I'm still having a hard time imagining that as a movie.

vCash
    I have a hard time imagining it as a movie as well.

I love the idea of Rosamund Pike as Amy almost as much as I liked the idea of Witherspoon herself in the role. Ben Affleck, not so sure. Wasn't Nick a little younger? But David Fincher is a good choice and I really want them to cast Lucy Hale as Andie so bad. She's tailor-made for the role.

vCash
    Just spent a couple of quiet hours today changing out the books in the hallway case, something I do periodically since most of my books are in boxes in my bedroom. Instead of doing my usual alpha-by-author, I went with sets of books: Library of America, Vintage Crime, Central European Classics, Northwestern University Press, Femmes Fatales: Women Write Pulp, etc. I separated the sets with trilogies and omnibi - The Cairo Trilogy by Mahfouz; the Claudine novels; the Vintage edition of Isaak Dinesen's Tales; and so on. I like the look of it. I also like the idea of browsing the case thematically.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I finished The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale today. I liked this re-telling of the fairy tale although I liked Princess Academy better. I have Austenland as well. I hesitate reading it as the movie is coming out soon and I usually don't like getting caught up in movie hype. I may save it for later.

And, yes, I'm still plowing through Vanity Fair.

vCash
    I've read Divergent, Reconstructing Amelia, If I Stay and Gone Girl. I can't imagine If I Stay as a great movie...I know it was a popular book, but out of the dead/almost dead/dying teenage books, Before I Fall is much stronger. I liked Divergent, but haven't read the sequels. I think Shailene Woodley will do the character justice. Reconstructing Amelia is a meh book, but I can see Nicole Kidman doing the character much better than the author herself did.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    ... Reconstructing Amelia is a meh book, but I can see Nicole Kidman doing the character much better than the author herself did.
    Some of my favourite movies of all time were made from meh books -- when there's a good story in there somewhere, it just wasn't realized very well by the author.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Just spent a couple of quiet hours today changing out the books in the hallway case, something I do periodically since most of my books are in boxes in my bedroom. Instead of doing my usual alpha-by-author, I went with sets of books: Library of America, Vintage Crime, Central European Classics, Northwestern University Press, Femmes Fatales: Women Write Pulp, etc. I separated the sets with trilogies and omnibi - The Cairo Trilogy by Mahfouz; the Claudine novels; the Vintage edition of Isaak Dinesen's Tales; and so on. I like the look of it. I also like the idea of browsing the case thematically.
    Since I work at a bookstore, where I am fanatical about proper merchandising and alphabetization, at home I am the exact opposite. My books are shelved more or less thematically, but generally I like to display my books by their prettiness factor.
    I group according to size and style, some upright, others stacked.....I like my home library to be all about the aesthetics.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I've read Divergent, Reconstructing Amelia, If I Stay and Gone Girl. I can't imagine If I Stay as a great movie...I know it was a popular book, but out of the dead/almost dead/dying teenage books, Before I Fall is much stronger. I liked Divergent, but haven't read the sequels. I think Shailene Woodley will do the character justice. Reconstructing Amelia is a meh book, but I can see Nicole Kidman doing the character much better than the author herself did.
    I liked Before I Fall much more than If I Stay, too. I thought Reconstructing Amelia sounded interesting; why was it meh? Writing? Story?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Since I work at a bookstore, where I am fanatical about proper merchandising and alphabetization, at home I am the exact opposite. My books are shelved more or less thematically, but generally I like to display my books by their prettiness factor.
    I group according to size and style, some upright, others stacked.....I like my home library to be all about the aesthetics.
    Bookstore veteran of eight years here. Which is why I always have more books than any given abode can hold. I like all my foreign language books in one case in my bedroom, alpha by author within language. I also like all books by an author to be in one place. This becomes a problem with Obskuropean writers like Bolesław Prus, whose works I've collected piece-meal, in whatever translation I could get my hands on. Right now he's scattered all over. Although I have to admit that if I put all his books together on one shelf, it wouldn't look very pretty.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I have too many books for my just under 1000 sq ft home. I have weeded out countless times and still buy more. Between my employee discount, and thrift store and yard sale finds, books just seem to want to come home with me. I also collect old books, from the late 1800's-early 1900's just for pretty factor. I am pretty much at the point now, where I cannot weed out anything more. If my son ever moves out, I may be able to turn his bedroom into my library.

vCash
    I liked Before I Fall much more than If I Stay, too. I thought Reconstructing Amelia sounded interesting; why was it meh? Writing? Story?
    More the writing. I thought the story sounded interesting too, which is why I read it. The writing isn't anything special, and the characters are really annoying and unlikable (Gone Girl's characters are unlikable too, but I was invested in the story; it was not the case with this book). And then there's this whole "reveal" that is super cliche.

Also I lived in the area the book takes place in and it just felt like she was namedropping places

vCash
    Assassin's Creed Renaissance - yeah I know... it is cotton candy for the brain but I guess I was just in one of those moods and I am actually enjoying the book.

vCash
    "The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog," "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus," and "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late," by Mo Willems, are works of genius.

Just had to share that.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    My son loved the pigeon books!
    Creating drama!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh yes, the pigeon books. Very cute. We loved them too.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    14 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen--some people here are way ahead of this list, especially those who read YA.
    whee! thanks. That gif of Leo dancing he must have used this for inspiration

I'm starting to question my book-choosing skills. I just got another disappointment, although this one I'll finish. It's a YA novel called 13 Reasons Why, and the concept is very interesting - several months after the suicide of a teenaged girl, one of her classmates receives a mysterious package full of cassette tapes she recorded detailing why she chose to kill herself. Each person who receives the tapes played some sort of role (many unknowingly) in her decision. Unfortunately, the writing is mediocre, and the book is as subtle and nuanced as an ABC Afterschool Special. I'm only halfway through, and I get it, I get it! We all need to be kinder to each other! Rumors are bad! Not saying goodbye to the girl who sits behind you could ruin her day! I should have known it was nothing more than a Story With A Message....the first couple of pages are accolades by (apparently) teenagers, saying things like "this book literally changed my life". Plus, it needs a continuity editor, stat. The majority of the plot unfolds in the past, and the timeline is a bit questionable

Going back to "classics", I recently watched the film Infamous, about Truman Capote during the time he was writing In Cold Blood. I've never read In Cold Blood, but now I'm interested. Thoughts from those who've read it?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I'm starting to question my book-choosing skills. I just got another disappointment, although this one I'll finish. It's a YA novel called 13 Reasons Why,
    Aw crap...that's the next book that my book club is reading. I may have to question my choice of book club because so far my reaction to every book I've read for it has been "meh". I might stay being a member but maybe make the decision on a month-by-month basis as to whether I'll actually read the book. If September gets busy, I'll give this one a pass.

Going back to "classics", I recently watched the film Infamous, about Truman Capote during the time he was writing In Cold Blood. I've never read In Cold Blood, but now I'm interested. Thoughts from those who've read it?
    I read it for the same reason (well, after seeing both Capote and Infamous) and I would recommend it. Gruesome (obviously given the subject matter), but extremely well-written.

Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast