Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Busy reading weekend here. I'm totally caught up on Louise Penny's Gamache series and have preordered the book coming out next week.

Read Orphan Train. I knew nothing about the 200,000 children sent from NYC to the midwest (from the 1850's to the 1930's). It was interesting, but it lost me near the end with some really implausible plot twists. Tried reading All That Is - couldn't get into it, so back to the library it goes...

Finally started And The Mountains Echoed. I can tell it's going to become an obsession. The first chapters just grabbed me.

Kindle wise, The Book Thief and Anansi Boys just came in on library loan.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Finally started And The Mountains Echoed. I can tell it's going to become an obsession. The first chapters just grabbed me.

Kindle wise, The Book Thief and Anansi Boys just came in on library loan.
    I won a copy of The Mountains Echoed a couple of months ago but haven't managed to squeeze it in yet between all my library loans and book club books.

I'm nearly finished The Book Thief, and loving it. Anansi Boys is next on my list.

vCash
    I liked The Book Thief as well. I currently enjoying The Goose Girl.

vCash
    I've spent the last few weeks alternating between Nick Hornby and re-reads of annotated Austens. Strange combination, I know. The Austen re-reads were a result of seeing a disappointing stage version of Pride and Prejudice that had me needing the books to cleanse my palate. Hopefully the combination of that and Persuasion will tide me over until the annotated Northanger Abbey comes out on October 1. The only thing really notable thing about the read was that I was struck with a horrific thought that since one of the first words I would use to describe myself is "practical", would that mean I would be Charlotte Lucas? However, I can't see myself ever marrying a Mr. Collins, no matter how practical a choice that would be. I mentioned it to a friend and she agreed that I was definitely not Charlotte and that if I was any Austen character, it was Emma. I'm not sure what to make of that exactly...Emma is probably my least favorite of Austen's novels, but it might be worth another read to see if my friend is right.

As for the Nick Hornby that was mixed in, I really enjoyed About a Boy and was less enamoured with High Fidelity. Maybe it's because, even though they both feature male characters with arrested development, there was more growth in the About a Boy protagonist. Or perhaps it was because I could hear Hugh Grant's voice in About a Boy and found it charming whereas even though I haven't seen the movie High Fidelity, I still pictured the main character as a smarmy John Cusack.

Now I'm reading Left Neglected by Lisa Genova (who also wrote Still Alice) for my book club. It is a good read, although I can guess where it is going. Overworked power mom gets into car accident, with some lasting effects and at the halfway point, my guess is that she will not return to her high-powered job and will decide she is happier without it. The specific type of brain injury (called Left Neglect) is pretty interesting though, the main character is likeable, and it's a pretty quick read.

vCash
    And the Mountains Echoed is also on my to-read list!

I'm halfway through Kate Atkinson's Behind the Scenes at the Museum, which I'm loving. I can see similarities between that and Life After Life, but I'm liking this more. It's so funny but the writing is also gorgeous. I love the narrator; she is so likable. I like how the story is woven through the generations.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I've spent the last few weeks alternating between Nick Hornby and re-reads of annotated Austens. Strange combination, I know. The Austen re-reads were a result of seeing a disappointing stage version of Pride and Prejudice that had me needing the books to cleanse my palate.
    Ah, I think I know which production you're talking about. I'd been debating whether or not to go to that. I love P&P but that company can be really hit/miss with their shows (I think they spend too much of their budget on wardrobe). I still have flashbacks from a horrific production they did of The Seagull they did years ago.

I just finished Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy, which I loved, but now puts me in a bit of a deficit, because nothing I've been reading holds up in comparison. Going to read Life After Life when I go on vacation this week, so I do have that to look forward to.

vCash
    Hilarious Reject-A-Hit letter from Writer's Digest sponsored program calling for submissions of spoof rejection letters for well known best-sellers.

Excerpt from spoof-rejected letter by Edward Murphy:

May 2, 1970

Dear Mr. Blatty,

The power of Christ compels me to reject your novel THE EXORCIST.

There is nothing spectacular or original in your character study of Regan MacNeil. ALL 12-year-old girls seem possessed. And it is preposterous to even conceive that a demon would seek sanctuary in a 12-year-old girl for the simple reason that he would not get a word in edgewise ...

As the father of a 12-year-old girl, I can also say it is not an unusual occurrence to see her spinning her head around like a ventriloquist dummy while spewing profanity. This occurs when she hears news such as David Cassidy getting a girlfriend or The Beatles breaking up ...

See July/Aug 2013 Writer's Digest for the full letter.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post

I'm halfway through Kate Atkinson's Behind the Scenes at the Museum, which I'm loving. I can see similarities between that and Life After Life, but I'm liking this more. It's so funny but the writing is also gorgeous. I love the narrator; she is so likable. I like how the story is woven through the generations.
    I inhaled Life After Life but didn't finish Behind the Scenes at the Museum, don't remember why. Perhaps a Harry Potter book came out that needed reading.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    To quote Mark Twain: A classic is a book people praise and don't read.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I have two books going at the moment, The Solitary Summer by Elizabeth von Arnim. It's the sequel to her charming Elizabeth and Her German Garden and, in a way, a fore-runner of The Enchanted April.

And IceAlisa inspired me to dip into Dans le noir (In the Dark) by Svetlana Velmar-Jankovic, a Serbian writer who landed on my shelf recently. This one will require much more attention than von Arnim's witty observations and delightful descriptions of her country garden, so I expect to take it slowly.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I have one of Jack Higgins' Sean Dillon espionage thrillers going in the car. I like Clive Cussler better even if I know the "Hero saves the World" formula by heart. In paper, I have Karen Harper's "The Poyson Garden" going while I wait for another Matthew Bartholomew mystery to arrive.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I inhaled Life After Life but didn't finish Behind the Scenes at the Museum, don't remember why. Perhaps a Harry Potter book came out that needed reading.
    Eys, I've had that problem, too

Anyway, I finished it last night and LOVED it. I actually liked it more than Life After Life. Highly recommend it. There's a reveal that didn't quite work so well for me, but the way the stories are woven through time are fantastic. And the writing is beautiful.

I picked up Marisha Peshel's Night Film, which just came out and looks fascinating. Yay for murder mysteries and cinema

vCash
    Finished And the Mountains Echoed. Cried. I love a book that doesn't give us 'tidy endings'. The story kept me engaged, and thinking. Fabulous.

Now reading Blood & Beauty about the Borgias, one of my favorite twisted families. I was thrilled to see this come out (and get good reviews). But rumor has it that it stops way short of Alexander's death, so maybe there's a sequel being written?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post

And IceAlisa inspired me to dip into Dans le noir (In the Dark) by Svetlana Velmar-Jankovic, a Serbian writer who landed on my shelf recently. This one will require much more attention than von Arnim's witty observations and delightful descriptions of her country garden, so I expect to take it slowly.
    Very cool! I have my copy of Proust's In Search of Time Lost and am going to need someone to hold my hand through it. Has anyone read it? May be I will give Behind The Scenes another try some day.

BTW, that JKR murder mystery was just alright after all. It had very well-written pieces of dialog but overall it wasn't as absorbing as I would like a murder mystery to be. I wasn't dying to find out whodunnit. I actually didn't really care.

Picked up a used copy of Joyce Carol Oates' Middle Age in a book store while on vacation. I guess I might forgive her My sister, my love and other crimes against literature.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Read Orphan Train. I knew nothing about the 200,000 children sent from NYC to the midwest (from the 1850's to the 1930's). It was interesting, but it lost me near the end with some really implausible plot twists.
    Perhaps not.
    I read a non-fiction account of the same subject.
    What actually happened to some of these orphans was startling - not in a good way.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I have such a book hangover today, after finishing The Book Thief last night.

But like many a hangover brought on by liquid substances ... so worth it!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    14 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen--some people here are way ahead of this list, especially those who read YA.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I have such a book hangover today, after finishing The Book Thief last night.

But like many a hangover brought on by liquid substances ... so worth it!
    So good. I have been thinking about reading it again and I never re-read books. Problem is that I loaned it out to someone and don't know who. lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    14 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big Screen--some people here are way ahead of this list, especially those who read YA.
    Has anyone read Gone Girl? That sounds interesting. The plot twist intrigues me but I'd like if the rest of the book is good, too.

I am unsure about The Book Thief being a movie. I have a hard time imagining how that translates to film and how they can capture all of the emotions in the book. I will watch and find out, though!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Has anyone read Gone Girl? That sounds interesting. The plot twist intrigues me but I'd like if the rest of the book is good, too.
    There have been quite a few posts about that book in this and the other reading threads, but I can't swear that the twist wasn't revealed somewhere along the way.

Agree about The Book Thief--but Geoffrey Rush as Death sounds promising.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast