Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    OK, I may have to take back some of my snark about JKR. Just when I thought the book was a gigantic , she hit me with a well-written chapter and a character that just leapt off the page--Guy Some, the designer. Dialog and snappy back-and-forth is where she really shines.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 08-12-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    So, The Great Gatsby? One of the greatest novels ever, so they say?

Yes, it's one I'd never gotten around to reading until now. I'm halfway through and going, huh????

Maybe it will make sense by the end, but I feel nothing for any of these people. Probably because none of them feel anything themselves.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Ugh. Wuthering Heights. A collection of a$$holes with no redeeming qualities. What IS the big deal??
    But, but, but. . . they're all so smolderingly passionate!!!

Took me forever to get which Catherine was which & the multiple Healthcliffs and flashbacks and all, too. Among the most confusing books ever written.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    There is a haiku for that one too. My book arrived today:

Beauty to weep for--
    coral, azure, apple green.
    His custom-made shirts.
    You say passionate, I say under-medicated. They all probably suffered from SAD in that fog.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash

Yes, it's one I'd never gotten around to reading until now. I'm halfway through and going, huh????

Maybe it will make sense by the end, but I feel nothing for any of these people. Probably because none of them feel anything themselves.
    Consider them all symbols rather than characters.

If by passionate you mean suffering from borderline personality disorder, then yes, they are passionate.

I'm slowly wending my way through The Stranger You Seek, which came highly recommended but isn't really doing it for me. There must be something between cute and cozy and experienced, cynical detective with complicated personal life/history that dominates the entire story. Next I plan to give Greg Hurwitz a try.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I'm slowly wending my way through The Stranger You Seek, which came highly recommended but isn't really doing it for me. There must be something between cute and cozy and experienced, cynical detective with complicated personal life/history that dominates the entire story.
    Well,I finished it, and I am completely at all the good ratings and award nominations this book has received. There are some amusing lines, I'll give you that. Maybe people don't read a lot of mysteries, but the big twist? It was only a twist in the first place if you share the assumptions the police make, which you have no reason to do if you have half a brain, and from the midpoint of the book on, there are many immense, blinking neon signs saying "FORESHADOWING OF BIG TWIST HERE!" If you grasp the clues, which you surely will even though no one in the book does, you will know whodunnit because the possibilities are so limited. And the ending? If you didn't know from reading the reviews that this is the first book in a planned series, you would after reading the last few pages.

What really irritates me is that this book is so obviously a pastiche of popular mystery series. It's like a recipe--take four cups of Janet Evanovich, two cups of Chelsea Cain, a cup of James Patterson; mix well. Stir in a healthy dollop of Carl Hiassen and any number of other writers for whom the setting is a character, then sprinkle with a whole lot of eccentricities so no one can accuse you of outright copying characters, even though anyone familiar with the authors I listed will recognize.....let's call them "inspirations."

I keep swearing I am going to stop reading mystery/suspense but I can't seem to cut the cord.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I finished "Jack Absolute" and liked it enough to hunt out the two sequels on Amazon. The minute descriptions of the battles got a little tedious (easy to see they were written by a man) but the plot was intricate and the main characters engaging. I'm surprised they let Louisa hang but since no one actually seemed to have seen her body, I'm left wondering if she might pop up again somewhere, especially since I know the story of John Andre and Benedict Arnold and their flip-flopping loyalties.

I'm now into Tessa Grant's "Daughter of the Game" - a Regency romance/mystery/adventure that looks interesting and begins a series that I ran across a while back.

And in the car, I'm continuing my Clive Cussler kick with "Flood Tide" - aka: Dirk Pitt takes on a worldwide syndicate smuggling illegal immigrants out of China and into the US. The books don't lack for adventure; I'm only in the first quarter and already Dirk has, while on vacation recuperating from near-fatal injuries suffered in the last book, discovered a lake full of dead bodies, infiltrated a mansion hiding a massive prison, rescued a dozen chinese immigrants - and a beautiful female INS agent - from death in the lake/cemetary, blown up a yacht and evaded scores of assasins in cars, boat and planes through sheer luck and his superhuman reflexes. There is nothing Dirk Pitt can't do. And now he and his partner are shuttling between Manila nd Hong Kong to investigate a cruise ship to find out how it's being used in the smuggling operation I expect Pitt to almost die another six or eight times before I reach the half-way point.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Slow library has done what I feared. I went to get the two books last night, and they handed me 2 others The Astronaut Wives Club and The Apple Orchard. And all are '2 week' loans. I asked how that was possible when I've been #1 for 6 weeks for 3 of them.

I now have 8 books out (and The Orphan Train holding at the new library). I think I may need to return 3 of the ones I don't really want to read and circle back to them in a few months.

I tried reading The Casual Vacancy. I now understand the hate. Lovely descriptions of horrid people. I gave up after 50 pages.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I'm now into Tessa Grant's "Daughter of the Game" - a Regency romance/mystery/adventure that looks interesting and begins a series that I ran across a while back.
    I love Tracy Grant's books - although she writes them out of order, so it gets confusing which ones are supposed to be first.

Years and years ago, she used to co-write traditional regency romances with her mother, under the name Anthea Malcolm. They were some of my favorite books - luckily I still have most of them in paper, because that backlist has not been republished yet.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Slow library has done what I feared. I went to get the two books last night, and they handed me 2 others The Astronaut Wives Club and The Apple Orchard. And all are '2 week' loans. I asked how that was possible when I've been #1 for 6 weeks for 3 of them.

I now have 8 books out (and The Orphan Train holding at the new library). I think I may need to return 3 of the ones I don't really want to read and circle back to them in a few months.
    Can you renew any of the ones you have out? That'll add a few weeks to your timeline. I haven't taken anything out of my library in a long while, but I used to be able to renew any books I had out, and I was able to renew them online.

vCash
    Tesla - I'm certainly going to try. I have the feeling I was among the first to reserve a few of these, and this is forming behind me.

Irony alert - I had The Woman Upstairs for a week, couldn't get into it and returned it once I saw the queue growing. Last week, a neighbor/coworker mentioned the book finally came in for her at the library. I told her we should coordinate lists. She could have read it when I gave up and then returned it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    There is a haiku for that one too. My book arrived today:

Beauty to weep for--
    coral, azure, apple green.
    His custom-made shirts.
    Tee hee, glad you got that haiku book. It's a hoot, isn't it?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Tee hee, glad you got that haiku book. It's a hoot, isn't it?
    Total hoot. My absolute favorite is the Thomas Mann The Magic Mountain:

The TB 'rest cure.'
    Haus Berghof. Death, Eros, and
    All meals included.
    Love it.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Consider them all symbols rather than characters.
    Symbol, shmymbol. That part of my life was over 20 years ago, cum laude with high honors in English blah blah blah. I read to enjoy (when I am not reading and editing or writing for money). And I finished The Great Gatsby. What a downer. Perhaps not quite as bleak as, say, Jude the Obscure, but sheesh.

Now The Hobbit, which I haven't read in yeeeeeeeears. And it's also on our book group's list for the upcoming year. And I've become addicted to Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley series.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I really liked The Great Gatsby. One of the few books to live up to the hype.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Symbol, shmymbol. That part of my life was over 20 years ago, cum laude with high honors in English blah blah blah. I read to enjoy (when I am not reading and editing or writing for money). And I finished The Great Gatsby. What a downer. Perhaps not quite as bleak as, say, Jude the Obscure, but sheesh.

Now The Hobbit, which I haven't read in yeeeeeeeears. And it's also on our book group's list for the upcoming year. And I've become addicted to Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley series.
    NOTHING'S as bleak as Jude the Obscure. Just the memory of that book makes me shudder.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I really liked The Great Gatsby. One of the few books to live up to the hype.
    I agree. One summer I read Hemingway and Fitzgerald. Hated Hemingway. Enjoyed Fitzgerald.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Symbol, shmymbol. That part of my life was over 20 years ago, cum laude with high honors in English blah blah blah. I read to enjoy (when I am not reading and editing or writing for money). .
    I read for enjoyment unless I'm being paid to read and write, too; do you know anyone who doesn't? And I find Gatsby easier to swallow if I don't think of the characters as people but as symbols.

Guess that's not the case for you. *shrug*

I'm undecided about Greg Hurwitz so far, but if you don't like gore, stay away. It opens with the very gory murder of the child of the protagonist, which is kind of giving me nightmares.

vCash
    I love Gatsby. One of my favorite novels for sure.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Love Hemingway too. His short stories

from Speedy Death

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast