Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Went to new library tonight to get 1 book that was on hold. They had 3 others. I had them remove one from the list (Joe Hill's NOS4A2 ). The ones that came in were Instructions for a Heatwave, All That Is, and Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. Also picked up The lost whale : the true story of an Orca named Luna - it looked really good.

Meanwhile, at the old library, I'm still #1 for 7 books.

vCash
    There was a sackfull of packages waiting for me at the concierge's desk tonight. All books. Women of the Balkans represent! It was quite the hodge-podge of Serbian, Bosnian, Croatian, and Slovenian writers. Time-wise, from 1917 to 2010. Plus Isabelle Eberhardt's Dans l'ombre chaude de l'islam and Irene Rathbone's We That Were Young, an autobiographical novel focused on her experiences as a volunteer in WWI. So my day ended well.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Just got "Jack Absolute" by CC Humphreys in the mail and can't wait to start it. *must finish work tasks first....must finish work tasks first...must FINISH....*
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I got "Blue Nights" by Joan Didion. It's a book about grief. I think. It's a book about her daughter. Maybe. Mostly, it's a book about how. How? Yes, how. How can I write a book. Like this. Like this? Yes, like this, and make gazillion dollars. Gazillion dollars. Writing. A book. Like this. Writing the same sentence. Over and over. Over? Over. The same sentence. With different punctuation. Same sentence? Yes. The same sentence. With different punctuation? Yes. (etc etc etc). Sheesh!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    I got "Blue Nights" by Joan Didion. It's a book about grief. I think. It's a book about her daughter. Maybe. Mostly, it's a book about how. How? Yes, how. How can I write a book. Like this. Like this? Yes, like this, and make gazillion dollars. Gazillion dollars. Writing. A book. Like this. Writing the same sentence. Over and over. Over? Over. The same sentence. With different punctuation. Same sentence? Yes. The same sentence. With different punctuation? Yes. (etc etc etc). Sheesh!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I once heard an interview with Joan Didion. At the time she still used a typewriter to write - the kind with a ribbon. She said she had to use the same ribbon for the whole book. Couldn't change it and couldn't go back and take out or rewrite or edit - until the book was finished. If she did, she had to start the whole thing over again. Apparently, by the time she finished a book, you could barely see the print. Maybe with this book that's why it was the same sentence over and over - she couldn't see it. On the other hand, I hope, by now, she is not still using that typewriter.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I once heard an interview with Joan Didion. At the time she still used a typewriter to write - the kind with a ribbon. She said she had to use the same ribbon for the whole book. Couldn't change it and couldn't go back and take out or rewrite or edit - until the book was finished. If she did, she had to start the whole thing over again. Apparently, by the time she finished a book, you could barely see the print. Maybe with this book that's why it was the same sentence over and over - she couldn't see it. On the other hand, I hope, by now, she is not still using that typewriter.
    She "had to"? Sounds like the self-imposed rule of an obsessive-compulsive. Also sounds like not my idea of an enjoyable read.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    She "had to"? Sounds like the self-imposed rule of an obsessive-compulsive. Also sounds like not my idea of an enjoyable read.
    Self-imposed - exactly.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I really like Joan Didion. I absolutely hated Cloud Atlas.

I guess immie and I won't be forming a book club any time soon.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Obituary lady here.

I noticed Barbara Mertz has died - http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/des...09#fbLoggedOut

Who's Barbara Mertz? She wrote under the names Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels.

vCash
    Read Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore last night. Interesting premise, our mid 20's narrator was downsized in the 2008 recession and took a job in a 24 hour bookstore with very few clients. Wasn't a fan of the "cloak and dagger Google will reveal the key to immortal life through a book" going on through it. And I'm glad I got it on a dead tree real book, rather than the kindle - it felt better reading lines about 'the smell of a book'. I've never sniffed my Kindle.

Today, I finally read The Paris Wife, about Hadley Hemingway (Ernest's first wife). A 28 year old 'spinster' before they met , she saw the promise in him and bankrolled his literary dreams in Paris where they both drank a lot and had a child (that he didn't want at first). The book kept her from being a saint (which was appreciated) but by the end of it, I hated him and his mistress and was thrilled when she climbed out of the bottle and got a divorce.

At the slow library - 2 books are in. And the Mountains Echoed and A Light in the Ruins. Still have 4 to read from the faster library, so, I'll get them Monday.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Still slogging through the new JKR murder mystery Cuckoo's Calling. It lays bare the imperfections of her prose but every now and then she does turn a good phrase. I am not feeling sucked into the plot as I like to be in a murder mystery. Get it from the library if you absolutely have to read it.

"Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I loved Didion's 'Run River' and 'A Book of Common Prayer' - the latter, especially. I found those books incredibly terse and evocative - quintessential 'less is more'. For many years now I've been reading 'page turners' (mystery, fantasy, historical fiction, post-apocalyptic fiction, some sci fi), so haven't kept up with pure literature. But this one, I'll read. Thanks for the heads up, though I don't know what to expect. Even great writers have their bad books, just as great film-makers fall down and make some terrible movies.

IMO Didion is among a rare class of writers, including Hemingway and Leonard Cohen (whose perfect sentences and images also rhyme). The fact that I can't write like them is why I never ventured far into poetry and literature.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Today, I finally read The Paris Wife, about Hadley Hemingway (Ernest's first wife). A 28 year old 'spinster' before they met , she saw the promise in him and bankrolled his literary dreams in Paris where they both drank a lot and had a child (that he didn't want at first). The book kept her from being a saint (which was appreciated) but by the end of it, I hated him and his mistress and was thrilled when she climbed out of the bottle and got a divorce.
    That calls to mind Dawn Powell's Turn, Magic Wheel (1936), in which one of the main characters is based on an ex- or soon-to-be-ex-wife of Hemingway. It might have been his second wife, Pauline Pfeiffer, since Hemingway dumped her for Martha Gellhorn around this time. Gellhorn, btw, was no slouch as a writer herself. I've read A Stricken Field and Liana and thought they were both very good.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    So I'm at a film camp this week, away from home, and I brought The Ocean at the End of the Lane to read in the evenings. It was a good thought, but it fell through pretty much right away. I had about three hours to kill at a train station, and in that time I read the entire book, cover to cover. Oops.

vCash
    Read "What Happened to Anna K." which is a modern retelling of Anna Karenina told within the Rego Park/Forest Hills Bukharan Jew community. The problem with the book is that Anna is so unlikeable. She is a pretentious pseudo-intellect who, despite reading Wuthering Heights more than a dozen times, has never figured out that while Heathcliff may be good for a shag, he is hardly marriage material.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ugh. Wuthering Heights. A collection of a$$holes with no redeeming qualities. What IS the big deal??
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Aren't all Joan Didion's books about grief? She's consigned, along with Paul Theroux & Patricia Cornwall, into the category of writers I would like to read again after they've successfully been treated for major depression.

Just finished The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope she turns this into a series.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Just got "Jack Absolute" by CC Humphreys in the mail and can't wait to start it. *must finish work tasks first....must finish work tasks first...must FINISH....*
    Love the Jack Absolute books! The 007 of the Revolution! I must say, however, that he treats my poor Banastre Tarleton very badly and without any regard to reality, alas. Tarleton was a fascinating character and was rather more the darling of the social world than the persona Humphreys concocts. but I guess anything is legal in fiction when you're dead. That's why it's called fiction... Enjoy the books but don't believe anything you read about Tarleton! On a similar vein, I just started "The Skull and the Nightingale." Interesting premise. So far so good, but then, not very far. I've been reading Nelson DeMille all summer, so this is a bit of a change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Obituary lady here.

I noticed Barbara Mertz has died - http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/des...09#fbLoggedOut

Who's Barbara Mertz? She wrote under the names Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels.
    Saddened to hear of this. I like the Amelia Peabody series (and her Jacqueline Kirby series is even better, IMO)

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast