Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    That article was an amazing read, Buzz, thank you so much!

vCash
    Agreed! Also, thanks for starting the new thread, rfisher!

I've been reading The Book Thief but it's slow going, maybe because the subject matter is so serious.

vCash
    I adored The Book Thief. I could barely put it down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I finished Ordinary Grace a couple of weeks ago. I liked it a lot, although parts of it were heartbreaking. I tend to favor novels with an adolescent narrator or an adolescent's point of view because I find the language much more honest and believable. I also like books set in this time period, early 60's.
    Loved it too! Started it and could not put it down. I appreciate a well written book that doesn't toss red herring murderers at you. And the interactions between Frank and Jack were so well written. Only quibble - I wish it was longer! I didn't want it to end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    That article was an amazing read, Buzz, thank you so much!
    Buzz, this is the world that my mother left, so many years ago.
    She "escaped" to New York City, where she met my father.
    I can't imagine the life she would have had if she had remained in small-town Kentucky!

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I adored The Book Thief. I could barely put it down.
    Me too. That is an amazing book.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Fascinating read, Buzz. I remember hearing just a little bit about that case on the news here. I'm in Central Kentucky, but Mayfield is in the extreme western end of the state. I'm almost positive I was in Mayfield once when I was in college in the mid 1990's, I remember thinking it was a pretty little town.

Of course as someone raised in small town Kentucky, I know small towns can hide A LOT of corruption.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post

I'm reading Where'd You Go Bernadette. It's very clever and snarky and bitchy. I feel like I'm in a Bravo show. So far, it's borderline fabulous, but I don't know if I'll like a whole book of it.
    I loved that one. The author wrote for Arrested Development.

I may pick up the Book Thief again, I suppose. Tried to read it once and couldn't get into it, so I guess I shall try again.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    im reading the autobiography of elsa schiaparelli "shocking life" in part because she was a very interesting woman and in part because the cover is fuchsia and i thought it would look amazing on my coffee table. anyway, it's interesting, particularly the wartime years, but not exactly a deep soul searching autobiography.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    im reading the autobiography of elsa schiaparelli "shocking life" in part because she was a very interesting woman and in part because the cover is fuchsia and i thought it would look amazing on my coffee table. anyway, it's interesting, particularly the wartime years, but not exactly a deep soul searching autobiography.
    Fuchsia or the color famously known as 'Schiaparelli Pink'?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post

I may pick up the Book Thief again, I suppose. Tried to read it once and couldn't get into it, so I guess I shall try again.
    It's one of the few books on which Spinner and I agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    It took me a while to get into it too, but once I did, I thought it was quite good. I didn't love it quite as much as some others in the thread did, but still a worthwhile read IMO.

I'm currently reading Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette, as the movie with Kirsten Dunst was on tv a little while ago and combined with a recent trip that included both France and Austria, it piqued my interest enough to get the book. So far it is fairly dry, but I'm hoping it picks up once she goes to France.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

The Book Thief is my favorite book of all time!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed ‏@BuzzFeed 2h
    19 Wonderful Vintage School Library Posters http://bzfd.it/18Otdm3

vCash
    Finished The Book Thief at 6am. Perhaps was bawling. This is why I resisted it so long, methinks. Didn't want to feel.

INTJ
    vCash
    It had that effect on me too, TygerLily.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Currently reading Kate Ross' last Julian Kestrel mystery "The Devil in Music" - it's set in Austrian Italy amid the political upheaval left after Napolean's defeat and the collapse of the Kingdome of Italy. There are a few too many characters for me to skeep straight and some of the "clues" are glaringly obvious but I am enjoying the insight into Kestrel's background and character.

I picked up a mixed bag of audio cassettes at a yard sale on Saturday (nine titles for $3) so I'll have some odd listening ahead this summer. I guess I'll have to keep my poor old car running for a while longer.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Since the 7 books at the library that I'm first in line for are still not in I've turned back to the kindle. And am thrilled - the daily deal a few weeks ago was the Muirwood trilogy. Fantasy books about people with the power to control the earth's elements. It's like Harry Potter meets the Hunger Games. Loving the books - have finished 2 and am on the 3rd now.

vCash
    I have concluded that authors should not read their own works for audio books. I started John LeCarre' "The Constant Gardener" yesterday and could not make it through the first 15 minutes. He speaks too fast for one thing and he reads as if he's just reading with no inflection and no pace changes. I could not tell who was speaking during conversations and there were too many words I either couldn't hear or couldn't understand so I gave up.

Now I have Kate White's "A Body To Die For" going and the reader, Kate Walsh, while a little too perky and chirpy in places is much better. All the slang and trendy-speak sounds a little dated now but the plot seems decent. I'm getting chucles about the descriptions of the setting - a five-star spa located in Warren, Massachusetts (which in reality isn't anything like the descriptions in the book, which makes me wonder if the author had done more than drive-by research on the place).
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I'm currently reading Flaubert's Parrot.

At one point the narrator facetiously makes a list of subjects for novels that he'd like to see banned for good or 10 or 20 years. Reminds me of the discussions of music bans in skating.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast