Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Whoever upthread mentioned "Wool" by Hugh Howey, it's on Amazon's Daily Deal today for $1.99 (along with 39 other recent DDs). Just picked it up.
    Thanks for that tip! I bought it, now I just hope that Calibre will work as advertised and translate it to epub for my Kobo. (I've done the conversion no problem with mobi books *ahem* acquired from other sources. But this one came as a .azw file.)

vCash
    Book #4 of the weekend is halfway done. "A Treacherous Paradise" by Henning Mankell. It's very odd. Not sure if I like it yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Book #4 of the weekend is halfway done. "A Treacherous Paradise" by Henning Mankell. It's very odd. Not sure if I like it yet.
    I've read all of Mankell's novels (although not this one, yet) and I don't enjoy him nearly as much when he ventures abroad.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Jeffisjeff - how are his other books? Because this one was horrid. The main character was an inert mess who'd go on half baked, barely explained missions. I want those hours of my life back.

vCash
    Double posting, but a day has passed.

3 more books in at the new library. Waiting now are "The Burgess Boys", "The Execution of Noa P. Singleton" and "Joyland". That's in addition to the 4 I picked up yesterday! I finally have "The Golem and the Jinni" in my hands (and 2 more Louise Penny Gamache books).

The next 3 books have 5 people in front of me ("All That Is", "Blood & Beauty" and "The Lost Girls"). So, I'm guessing there won't be another 'pick up' email for a few days?

Finishing up 1 e-book "Unnatural Creatures" (stories selected by Neil Gaiman). Also have "The Paris Wife" (about Ernest Hemingway's first wife) to read.

vCash
    I really liked The Paris Wife, even though Hemingway's never been one of my favorite authors. Hope you enjoy it!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I'm always years late on a lot of things. I just finished Hunger Games and enjoyed it. I also had the movie recorded from a free preview of one of the movie channels so I watched that as well. I liked the movie but, as usual, enjoyed the book more.

I'm now reading The Goose Girl. I enjoyed The Princess Academy so I hope to like this one as well. I'm still slogging through Vanity Fair. I'm about halfway through. Waterloo is over and we are back in England with the repulsive Crawley family. I'm still finding it a long haul.

I have also read a bunch of light mysteries. I can't recommend any of them.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I'm having good luck choosing books lately. I just flew through Wool by Hugh Howey last week (as I posted, but I want to plug it again), and now I'm reading Embassytown by China Miéville. It is just the opposite kind of book, although still SF. It's a first person account, so sometimes understanding of what has happened comes chapters later than the first telling. I'm reading it very slowly, and savouring the originality of each page. One Goodreads reviewer said his writing reminded her of James Joyce and I can understand why- but in a good way.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I've read all of Mankell's novels (although not this one, yet) and I don't enjoy him nearly as much when he ventures abroad.
    Neither do I. He's best in Sweden and with Wallender. It helped to listen to one of the books on audio so I'd know how all the place names were pronounced.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I'm halfway through "Joyland" by Steven King and I love it! Not an alien, plague, or evil dog in sight. There is a costume of a dog, does that count? Set in the early '70's at a small time amusement park in North Carolina by the ocean. Loving the characters at the carny and the other assorted lost souls that wander in and out.

Mankell fans - if you read his latest, let me know what I missed in it and what you loved about it? I really despised the book.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Just finished "joyland" and it was gd story but not as gd as all the hype about it. It was not all that and a bag of chips too, it was just a gd story. Actually I preferred "cloud atlas" which I had read prior to "joyland."

vCash
    My recently read books include The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan (good, not great, an entertaining quick read) and Everything You Could Ask For by Mike Greenberg, which I adored. The characters were so well-created and believable.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Well this one won't cut seriously into anyone's reading time: One Hundred Great Books In Haiku, by David Bader. Just what the title suggests. I picked it up while browsing in a used book store, laughed out loud, bought it ... and read it all while drinking my afternoon coffee.

Forget Cliff notes, here are 100 works of classic literature, each summarized in 17 syllables.

A sampling:

Wuthering Heights
    Wild. Strange. A bit damp.
    Heathcliff waits for Cathy's ghost.
    Women. Always late.

Don Quixote
    Dusk - the windmills turn.
    Is Don mad, or are we?
    No, it's him all right.

Oedipus Rex
    Chorus: Poor bastard.
    Oedipus: This is awful.
    Blind Seer: Told you so.

vCash
    ^ I must have that book.

I just finished Indifferent Heroes and look forward to the final chapter, Welcome Strangers. My mental palate-cleanser between the two is Skylark by Dezső Kosztolányi. His quirky, almost cartoonish style will make for a nice antidote.
    Last edited by Nomad; 08-01-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Done with Joyland. Loved it. I'm not a big fan of 'horror King', so this was a fun read for me.

Amazon had Bring Up the Bodies on sale for a few hours, so that's my latest Kindle buy. I'll hold off on it for a bit, have 5 library books to get through first. Started The Execution of Noa P. Singleton last night. Like it so far. She's 5 weeks from being executed for killing a girlfriend (I think it was a friend) and the girl's mother had a change of heart and is trying to stop the execution.

ArtemisBC - I'll have to buy those haiku books, I looked them up and they're worthy.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I rarely don't finish a book, and when I do, it's generally because it's boring, and rather than making a decision to put it down, I find that I just can't be bothered to pick it up anymore.

But I think I'm done with Mo Hayder's Hanging Hill. It's annoyed me from the very beginning - there is not a single likeable person in the book, every character is 2-dimensional and clichéed beyond belief. The two protagonists are infuriating - one is quite stupid and inept at everything (a fact not mitigated at all by her awareness of her own stupidity), the other a hardened, ball-busting loner who is desperate to maintain a secret that I just don't believe anyone would actually care about if they knew. The story just turned, based entirely on the latter sister making an unbelievably stupid move, for unbelievably stupid reasons, resulting in gratuitous violence that I just don't have the stomach for (for which I have no stomach ). I realized that I don't actually care about any of these people, and the initial mystery seems to have been solved, so - ciao!

I need a way better book to read next.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Well this one won't cut seriously into anyone's reading time: One Hundred Great Books In Haiku, by David Bader. Just what the title suggests. I picked it up while browsing in a used book store, laughed out loud, bought it ... and read it all while drinking my afternoon coffee.

Forget Cliff notes, here are 100 works of classic literature, each summarized in 17 syllables.

A sampling:

Wuthering Heights
    Wild. Strange. A bit damp.
    Heathcliff waits for Cathy's ghost.
    Women. Always late.

Don Quixote
    Dusk - the windmills turn.
    Is Don mad, or are we?
    No, it's him all right.

Oedipus Rex
    Chorus: Poor bastard.
    Oedipus: This is awful.
    Blind Seer: Told you so.

I have to have this one!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    I just started reading Feed by Mira Grant. I normally don't read horror, but it's gotten really great reviews from friends who rarely steer me wrong. So far enjoying it...

vCash
    I finally decided to read A Tale of Two Cities. Wow that was a lot packed into one book, although I think it flows better than some of his other works and is a little more "readable". Sydney Carton's final thoughts at the end is something to add to my list of favorite literary passages. The only thing I don't like about Dickens is that some of his characters seem one-dimensional.

Now I'm back to A Clash of Kings which I've neglected for a while. I really like the series, but it's hard to keep up with the constantly changing POV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Thanks for that tip! I bought it, now I just hope that Calibre will work as advertised and translate it to epub for my Kobo. (I've done the conversion no problem with mobi books *ahem* acquired from other sources. But this one came as a .azw file.)
    If it didn't work, make sure your version of Calibre is up-to-date; there was an update after azw was first introduced. Also, I assume your files from other sources already had DRM removed, before you coverted the format.

You'll need to install the companion files needed to remove DRM yourself in Calibre. (Because Calibre doesn't remove DRM as is). Google Apprentice Alf for what you need.

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast