Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

vCash
    Oh good, I'll be interested to hear what you think of it!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Is it any good? I've seen it recommended in romance forums, but not by anyone who's an actual skating fan.
    It's actually pretty good, more of a generational saga than a strict romance. The skating parts are dated - there's not that much of a professional circuit anymore - and the bits there are aren't technical so I haven't had negative reactions to them. The family dynamics are interesting - and the major focus of the book. But I like it more than I expected to.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Just me
    vCash
    I've been reading some of G. A. Aiken's Dragon novels. I really enjoy the family dynamics and have laughed (out loud!) at many of the conversations between characters.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I've now started Susanna Gregory's Matthew Bartholomew medival mystery series with "A Plague on Both Your Houses." I don't know how I managed to miss these when they came out but it's nice to have a whole long line of books ahead of me.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    3 books came in at the 'new library'. "The Obituary Writer", "Frozen in Time: An Epic Story of Survival" and "The Cruelest Month" (Louise Penny). And finally, "The Golem and the Jinni" is in after a 3 month wait at the 'other' library. I think I'll be busy this weekend!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    ... And finally, "The Golem and the Jinni" is in after a 3 month wait at the 'other' library. I think I'll be busy this weekend!
    I burned through that one pretty quickly!

for libraries!

vCash
    I'm winding up Indifferent Heroes and wishing that PBS should dramatize this series. Mary Hocking does a really good job of showing ordinary British families caught up in WWII. There are no gimmicks here - nobody is super-heroic/talented/beautiful/rich/whatever. To cop a phrase from Dorothy Parker, the characters "have souls and elbows." If you don't know people like them, you can easily imagine them. Well done, Mary Hocking.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Just finished reading Yrsa Sigurdardóttir's I Remember You; loved it! Definitely the scariest book I have ever read. I highly recommend it for those who like horror stories.

vCash
    And 2 e-book holds are in. I'll be a giant eye reading books all weekend! :lol;

Has anyone read "The Boy in the Suitcase?" That's one of the ebooks. Other is "Unnatural Creatures" a bunch of stories selected by Neil Gaiman. He wrote one of them too.

Done already with "The Obituary Writer". Short satisfying read. 2 women, one who writes obituaries in 1919 (she'd survived the earthquake in San Francisco, but her married lover disappeared that day), the other an early '60's housewife who is dissatisfied with her husband and her life. I was hooked from page 1.

vCash
    Has anyone read "The Boy in the Suitcase?" That's one of the ebooks.
    I have and liked it quite a bit. I've been into mysteries, especially ones from Scandinavia, over the past year and a half if that gives any sense of my taste. I didn't like the sequel as much, but it kept my interest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I'm winding up Indifferent Heroes and wishing that PBS should dramatize this series. Mary Hocking does a really good job of showing ordinary British families caught up in WWII. There are no gimmicks here - nobody is super-heroic/talented/beautiful/rich/whatever. To cop a phrase from Dorothy Parker, the characters "have souls and elbows." If you don't know people like them, you can easily imagine them. Well done, Mary Hocking.
    I bought the series - at your suggestion - and am looking forward to reading them.

vCash
    I'll be a giant eye reading books all weekend!
    I like that mental image.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I bought the series - at your suggestion - and am looking forward to reading them.
    I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. But I'm a fan of the Virago Modern Classics in general. They've introduced me to a lot of great writers I might never have read otherwise - Emily Holmes Coleman, Barbara Comyns, Rosamond Lehman, Kate O'Brien, Sylvia Townsend Warner, Gamel Woolsey....and too many others to list here.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Whoever upthread mentioned "Wool" by Hugh Howey, it's on Amazon's Daily Deal today for $1.99 (along with 39 other recent DDs). Just picked it up. Trying not to buy any other ebooks these days until I finish my stack, but I couldn't pass that one up.

Started "Frozen in Time" last night, really good.

Love the new library, there's another book in already. My 'regular' library takes months to get me a book, but the other is part of the county library system, if they don't have a book, they have 7 other libraries to check. I'm in heaven!

vCash
    Finished Ordinary Grace by William Kent Kreuger, and I'm going to say one thing: All Phantom fangirls (and yes, I'm one) should read it.

I'm not going to say why. Go read it and figure it out.

Seriously, though, it's excellent and I recommend it highly. Beautifully written, and full of well-drawn characters who aren't always exactly who or what you expect. And a central mystery that I didn't figure out until the very last minute.

vCash
    Wyliefan - I loved that one too! So well written. Loved the way the two brothers interacted, loved the town and all of the secrets in it, and loved the reveal of the title. And I was thrilled with the red herring suspects and the elegant ending.

vCash
    Those red herrings had me fooled! I didn't even come remotely close to guessing who really did it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Those red herrings had me fooled! I didn't even come remotely close to guessing who really did it.
    It was a surprise to me, too. After reading your post about The Light in the Ruins, I looked it up. It sounds good, but I ended up buying Skeletons at the Feast instead. Haven't started it yet, but it will be next.

vCash
    I finished The Long War last night. There are some pretty cool ideas and concepts going on, but as I put the book down I realised that I still don't care for any one of the characters. I'm not sure if I'll buy the next book in the series, I might just see if I can get it (in English) from a library instead.

Next stop, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

vCash
    Sofia - I loved "The Ocean at the End of the Lane". One of my favorite reads this year. Slim and magical.

I finished "Frozen in Time" last night. It's about 3 military planes that crashed on Greenland during WWII. 2 of the planes were rescue attempts. Very annoyed at it. 75% of the book deals with the crashes and rescue attempts, the other 25% is a 2012 funding drive/expedition to bring back 3 bodies and a plane. My annoyance comes with the author inserting himself into the 2012 story. We see everything from his POV, instead of the Coast Guard personnel, or the families of the men, or the expedition leaders. And then they find the plane after tons of false starts, but are chased off by a storm - so it's still freaking buried. It's a book that could have waited until the story was over. I predict a revised ending. In the beginning of the book someone asks if he's Jon Krakauer. I think Krakauer could have done this story justice.

Now reading Louise Penny #3 (The Cruelest Month). Finally getting the Arnot backstory. And I can't wait for #4.

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast