Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

vCash
    I went to the midnight release of Breaking Dawn, because I was writing an article about it. That was a trip.

I'm excited about the Hyperbole and a Half book myself, but I can't get to it right away -- too much other stuff to read first. Among other things, I've just got a gig reviewing the new Fosse biography.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I jumped from medieval mystery to paranormal detective: Kat Richardson's "Poltergist" the second in her Greywalker series. I'm only a few chapters in and finding all the woo-woo walking-in-two-dimensions-stuff kind of confusing and a little tedious. I get that Harper, the main character, is new to her abilities and doesn't really understand what she sees or know what to do about any of it, but, honestly, how many times can she wail about her ignorance? It's getting old, girl. Her electronics-genius sidekick guy is witty and likable, with just enough mystery about him to make him interesting, though. I'll keep reading this one, but Number 3 is iffy at this point.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Continuing on the Elizabeth George read-a-thon. And I am angry with her for A Traitor to Memory!!

Spoiler

At least she was pretty good with the details and didn't just take the easy route of having the main character play a Stradivarius; nice to see Guarneri gettin' some respect.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Finally read The Round House. Wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I really enjoyed it until the last chapter. Then it was ruined for me.

And for anyone looking for a Kindle deal, there's a lot of books on sale for $2.40 today. Most of the Game of Thrones series, Ender's Game, The Book Thief, and The Shining. There was a $1.40 sale last week, wonder if there's a $3.40 coming up soon?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I'm reading Dish: How Gossip Became the News and the News Became Just Another Show. I picked it up because it was written by Jeanette Walls and I really enjoyed The Glass Castle, and now I cannot put it down because....it's chockful of juicy gossip.

Well, it's book filled with ironies. What's one more?

One of the interesting things about this particular gossip is that nearly everything in the book happened in my lifetime, so I remember most of it as I experienced it at the time. I'm not sure someone younger would find it as interesting. I'm up to the O.J. Simpson case, which is just . So many things in this books are just . I have never understood why someone would want to be famous, and after reading all this, I find it even harder to understand. Your friends and family will sell you out at the drop of a hat.

It's given me what I consider an interesting discussion point for a class--at one point (Elvis' death) a New York Times newspaper editor says that they don't publish things because they are interesting; they publish things because they are significant. He had to apologize for saying so a couple of days later. And later in the book, Rupert Murdoch asks a convention of media movers and shakers why the mainstream media is so intent on selling people things they don't want (significant news) instead of what they do want (interesting news) when such a business model is so obviously doomed to fail.

Interesting stuff to think about. But I gotta admit, if the book were just about such significant stuff, I would read it but slowly. It's the interesting stuff that keeps me flipping pages for hours at a time.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    I need to check that out.

I finished Dr. Sleep last night around 1 am. Really well done, with a good ending. Good endings are not really Stephen King's thing. (the end of the The Dome was particularly ) But I really liked this one.

I hope they don't feck up the movie too badly.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I need to check that out.
    It kind of fizzled a bit toward the end; Princess Diana seems like the obvious closer subject, but the author barely seems interested in her by that point. Even the OJ chapter seems rather rushed.

On another note, I read Child-Proofing ‘Harry Potter’ earlier today and have been thinking about it ever since. What say ye, Potter fans and parents?

The idea of "pinkwashing" a book about eating vegetables so boggles my mind that I can't believe she ever even considered reading Harry Potter to her child.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    I have difficulty imagining someone crazy enough to read Harry Potter to a 5 year old. Read them something else.
    Last edited by attyfan; 11-10-2013 at 12:21 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    On another note, I read Child-Proofing ‘Harry Potter’ earlier today and have been thinking about it ever since. What say ye, Potter fans and parents?

The idea of "pinkwashing" a book about eating vegetables so boggles my mind that I can't believe she ever even considered reading Harry Potter to her child.
    Please tell me that's satire.

If she feels that her son is too young for Harry Potter, then don't read it to him. Or if she has some issues with some of the behaviors, discuss it with the kid. I doubt Harry Potter is going to warp her special snowflake's fragile, delicate mind.

My parents never censored books. I somehow survived.

vCash
    That article is so ridiculously stupid that I am actually seething after reading it. If you feel you must censor something for your child, then wait until the child is old enough to read it. I was reading adult fantasy books at the age of 10, and all the sex and murder and intrigue didn't in any way ruin my life, or even impede it. I am so glad I did not have this woman for a mother.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Is this real?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I just found out Game Change 2 is out. Excuse me while I go hit the bookstore...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Please tell me that's satire.

If she feels that her son is too young for Harry Potter, then don't read it to him. Or if she has some issues with some of the behaviors, discuss it with the kid. I doubt Harry Potter is going to warp her special snowflake's fragile, delicate mind.

My parents never censored books. I somehow survived.
    My father intentionally gave me "mature"/adult books to read.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    It kind of fizzled a bit toward the end; Princess Diana seems like the obvious closer subject, but the author barely seems interested in her by that point. Even the OJ chapter seems rather rushed.

I'm presuming she didn't read any nursery rhymes or sing songs either. Surely, she didn't want to traumatize with that cradle falling from the treetops. Or little bunny fou-fou, we all know what happens to him. Ring-around-the-rosy refers to the dying from the plague--surely she didn't want to go there. One of my then five-year-olds favorite stories was the Elephant Child by Kipling (mostly because he liked trying to say grey-green greasy Limpopo River) with scary crocodiles trying to eat the curious Elephant Child or Rikki-Tikki-Tavi (scary cobras!). He also like Cookie Monster and Cookie Tree and thought it hilarious when Cookie monster threatened to turn the tree into pencils. But pink washing vegetables? Seriously?

I agree 5 is too young to appreciate Harry Potter. It was written for 12 year old and up, but this lady has issues.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    That's not what I expected pinkwashing to mean.

And yes, she's an idiot. If you don't want to wait until your child is mature enough to deal with the darker themes in Harry Potter, at least stop after the first three. And don't try to turn every sentence into some morality play.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Ring-around-the-rosy refers to the dying from the plague--surely she didn't want to go there. .
    when my godchildren started school, i found out they changed the words to ring around the rosy. instead of ashes ashes they said something else. i will have to ask their mom what it was, i was so annoyed. i hate change especially if it because people are being wussies.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Her child is in for a very rude awakening when he gets old enough to start exploring the world for himself and hearing some of the things coming out of his friends mouths and the stories they tell. He will be horribly confused and probably not well adjusted, at all. She is crazy and who can edit a book as they are reading it? I bet she sits down and re-writes the book ahead of time, she seems THAT nuts.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I just picture him talking about Harry Potter with his friends later. "How much bullshit was it that McGonagall made Harry write that essay after he stole the broom?" *blank stares*

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    delete
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So I suppose books like Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales are entirely off the menu. Grimms' too. Goodness forbid her precious darling actually learns anything at all about the world they will be entering in about a decade.

My son's class is reading 'Sarah, Plain and Tall,' a lovely book I might add. The kids loved it and got it, at least my kid did. But I guess I should have pinkwashed the fact that Sarah was a mail-order bride and that the mother died. But I didn't. I think they are at the age when they should start learning about death and loss.

from Speedy Death

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast