Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    vCash
    ITA with Erin's spoiler assessment. I read the Cuckoo's Calling for my book club, too, and thought it was waste of my time. (It was better than the Casual Vacancy, though, which I couldn't even finish.) However, I really liked the Harry Potter books. They are so much different and so much more creative with stronger character development.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

I wish I could read Harry Potter again for the first time.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    sigh, yes. i wish i could go to one more midnight book release.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I was looking back on those fondly today myself.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Me too. But at the time of the 1st reading my work schedule was lot more flexible and I didn't yet have Mini Ice so I could really indulge in my addiction.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I was 11 when I read the first (three?) books, if I remember correctly, which I might not because I was 11. I think the first four were out at the time but then I also think that I remember waiting for book 4. But I also may have been 10 when I read the first three, now that I think about it.

Either way, the last one came out directly after I graduated high school, and the last film came out shortly before I graduated college, so in a huge number of ways Harry Potter represents my childhood. And I'm glad I got to have that experience at those ages. I could be wrong, but I think growing up with something like that in that way makes it particularly special. When I started I was the same age as the characters and when it ended I was the same age as the characters. That was pretty cool.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    ^^^That's awesome, michiruwater!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    As figure skating fans here, has anyone read Doug Wilson's new memoir? http://www.amazon.com/World-Was-Our-...3359362&sr=1-1 I used to chat with him at Nationals a bit and want to read his book.

INTJ
    vCash
    The Hyperbole and a Half book came in the mail today! I can't wait to crack it open
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    As figure skating fans here, has anyone read Doug Wilson's new memoir? http://www.amazon.com/World-Was-Our-...3359362&sr=1-1 I used to chat with him at Nationals a bit and want to read his book.
    I have the book and will read it this weekend.

manleywoman did an interview with him:
    http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-16-doug-wilson/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    The Hyperbole and a Half book came in the mail today! I can't wait to crack it open
    It's awesome. Especially if you have ever had a dog. I also really, really thought she hit the nail on the head wrt (1) depression and (2) how we see ourselves.

I feel bad for spilling a bit of dinner on my library book, but is it kind of OK because it was a chicken curry salad and the book is by an Indian guy and set in India?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I was 11 when I read the first (three?) books, if I remember correctly, which I might not because I was 11. I think the first four were out at the time but then I also think that I remember waiting for book 4. But I also may have been 10 when I read the first three, now that I think about it.

Either way, the last one came out directly after I graduated high school, and the last film came out shortly before I graduated college, so in a huge number of ways Harry Potter represents my childhood. And I'm glad I got to have that experience at those ages. I could be wrong, but I think growing up with something like that in that way makes it particularly special. When I started I was the same age as the characters and when it ended I was the same age as the characters. That was pretty cool.
    Great, Michiruwater! My older son is two years younger than you, but basically, he had a similar experince, because the Finnish translations came later than the original versions. He did read two last books in English first. I think Harry Potter books in a wasy "saved" yuour generation, especially the boys, for reading.

vCash
    I read plenty both before and after Harry Potter But I get your meaning.

vCash
    I read plenty both before and after Harry Potter But I get your meaning.
    Yes, sure, and my boys did/are doing the same. But there is not so many generation experiences in literature any more. For me, born in 1964, Lord of the Rins maybe waa that, but not so strongly than Harry Potters were at least here in Finland. I adore that series too, and it was wonderful to share it with my sosn.

vCash
    I could be wrong, but I don't think there were many literary crazes as big as Harry Potter. You are right, though, most of my classmates did not read very much if at all, and it seemed like all the girls around me mostly read Nicholas Sparks and Danielle Steele and the like. Or Twilight. Blergh.

vCash

It is special, isn't it? I was a bit younger than you (eight when I started reading, fifteen when the last one came out), but growing up with it and having it be a part of childhood was a cool experience.

vCash
    I could be wrong, but I don't think there were many literary crazes as big as Harry Potter. You are right, though, most of my classmates did not read very much if at all, and it seemed like all the girls around me mostly read Nicholas Sparks and Danielle Steele and the like. Or Twilight. Blergh.
    Yeah, the only recent things that are a little similar to the HP craze are Twilight and The Hunger Games, but even those haven't come close. Not only because they aren't as good (to many people), but also because there wasn't the same built up anticipation for years. The only books that were long awaited by the majority of fans were the final ones in those series. Several of the Harry Potter book releases were a big deal.

vCash
    I think some of it has to do with the Harry Potter books coinciding with the increasing adoption of the internet, which allowed for more hype and more of a cultural phenomenon feel that might not have occurred to the same extent otherwise.

I was at university when I started reading the series, which by then had three published books. I really enjoyed it at first, but Order of the Phoenix came close to ruining it for me and I was never as interested after that. I was also working with elementary school kids at the time, and my impression was that HP didn't get kids reading in general, it got them to read Harry Potter. The few who read other things are the ones who probably would have become readers even without it.

I read Danielle Steele when I was in 7th and 8th grade as did a lot of people I knew. Also Clan of the Cave Bear & sequels and a lot of V.C. Andrews. Middle school is not a time where many kids exhibit great taste in fiction, I suppose.

vCash
    When Harry Potter came out, I was obviously not the target audience, so I didn't read it. But, a coworker who used to own her own bookstore (and then became an office drone), raved about it and told me I'd enjoy it. She was right. I was hooked. My son was in Kindergarten and was Harry Potter for Halloween that year (one of many Hogwarts students in his school parade). I remember being happy that his friends were all reading the books. It got to the point where the middle school teachers would ban Harry from the book reports - teacher said you could tell who just watched the movies. We went to all the movies, the last, we actually saw twice in a row - once in an almost empty theater, the second in a packed one. I remember ordering a pizza for my son and his friends so I could get through book 6 in peace. 7 was rough - I had tissues ready. Midnight book sales, and waiting for the book to arrive on the doorstep - it actually was magical.

When I was younger, I read my grandmother's harlequins cover to cover (which probably ruined me for dating)

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Question to Swedes: I have recently read The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson--loved it. I know he has a new book out, I think the English title is The Illiterate Who Could Count. As I have not yet seen the English translation available, I was wondering if any of you have read it and what you thought. What do the reviews say?
    I'm a bad Swede and still haven't read the first one. However, the reviews have been mostly good as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Evilynn; 11-05-2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: grammar

Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast