Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Just got the new Elizabeth George. 720 pages. Hope it's good. Otherwise it's used as a doorstop.
    Thanks for a tip! It would be a good book to read in the long flights which are ahead in November and December.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Serves me right, I was AWOL for a couple of months and missed an Atwood discussion! (my favourite author) At least I was busy reading MaddAddam at the time.

I'm currently reading Sergey Lukyanenko's The New Watch (I'm pretty sure the last one was supposed to be the *last* one, but I'm not necessarily complaining), it's not as good as the first two of the series, but still head and shoulders above most "western" UF. I'm also slogging through "The Joy of Closure" for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    Nordiska Väsen by Johan Egerkrans, a gorgeous book about the various supernatural critters in the Nordic countries, like trolls, giants, faeries, gnomes, and various other oddities that don't have any counterparts elsewhere. I'm only halfway through it, but loving it so far.
    Oooh, that looks interesting! I'll have to remember that for next paycheck, as I just splurged on getting all of the Earthsea books in hardcover since they were finally released with matching covers I don't find offensive.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Question to Swedes: I have recently read The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson--loved it. I know he has a new book out, I think the English title is The Illiterate Who Could Count. As I have not yet seen the English translation available, I was wondering if any of you have read it and what you thought. What do the reviews say?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I finished the first GoT book and loved it! I thought I'd be bored with it but wasn't at all. I can't wait to read the second one. It'll have to wait, though, because I picked up Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President and it's absolutely riveting.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Just got the new Elizabeth George. 720 pages. Hope it's good. Otherwise it's used as a doorstop.
    I guess doorstop novels are in. I hear The Goldfinch is around the same length.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Dear Elizabeth George. Ok, we get it. You went to Tuscany to research the book, and you picked up some Italian. Congratulations. But please stop proving it by including it all in your book. It doesn't make you look clever, it just makes you look like you're trying too hard. Show us your knowledge of the area with details of the life, geography, and architecture, fine. But unless you're going to write the whole novel in Italian, keep it to English. Thank you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Dear Elizabeth George. Ok, we get it. You went to Tuscany to research the book, and you picked up some Italian. Congratulations. But please stop proving it by including it all in your book. It doesn't make you look clever, it just makes you look like you're trying too hard. Show us your knowledge of the area with details of the life, geography, and architecture, fine. But unless you're going to write the whole novel in Italian, keep it to English. Thank you.
    I guess I understand what you mean, Artemis@BC. I still give a try for that book. AFAIK, George is an American, who has mostly written stories happening in GB. I am not a native speaker of any version of the English language, so I really can´t tell how good her British English is. I think Donna Leon is about ok with her use of Italian phares in her books. If George overdoes that, oh my! But I have to check (and I love Tuscanny!).

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    I have "the quest" but after 50 some pages I think i'm done with the journey. :-P
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

vCash
    Is the "The Quest" the new Nelson Demille book? I generally like him but had heard his latest one was just a rewrite sexed up version of a book he wrote years ago.
    pug lover

vCash
    About to start "The Art Forger," by B.A. Shapiro. I just got home from a big book club event that hosted five or six authors from CT/MA and I was most intrigued by this one. Looking forward to reading it, then it's on to "The Book Thief."

vCash
    Just for kicks, I read "Divergent" over the weekend, more to see what the young'uns are raving about than anything. While I don't feel it was a total waste of my time, I finished it less than thrilled with the writing (Is there some rule that says YA MUST be written in First-person Present tense?) I found The characters kind of cardboardy and the angsty romance very shallow but the world-building seemed consistent and the plot certainly moved along briskly from one threatening situation to next. I suppose I'll pick up the second one somewhere. At least this trend is a tad more interesting to me than past trends I've run across.

That done, I jumped back to Susan Gregory's Matthew Bartholomew medieval mystery "The Wicked Deed." Matt had angst-aplenty but at least living in post-plague England amid a bunch of conviving scholars and corrupt politicos gives him plenty of reason for it.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    About halfway through The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic. I like it, but it does drag along. Fairies and wizards battling each other. Our heroine is an English major enchanted by one, and rescued by the other.

Zaphyre - I tried to like Divergent, but it got a bit too Sweet Valley High meets Hunger Games for me. It was like fast food, devoured quickly, but then a bit queasy feeling afterwards. I have #2, but haven't read it yet. The reviews are brutal for the final book.

vCash
    Whee!!! Amazon just let me know that my copy of Hyperbole and a Half is on its way!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    So, I read The Cuckoo's Calling for my book club. I probably wouldn't have chosen to read it on my own and that would have been a good decision because I wasn't crazy about it. At first, I thought that maybe it was the genre, I'm not a huge mystery reader. But then I realized I like Michael Connelly and this was just much weaker. I found the characterizations to be thin and corny. It was hard to relate to anyone, I couldn't decide whether the victim was likeable or not (I think the answer was supposed to be yes she was likeable but flawed, but I just never got a handle on her). And as for the mystery itself...

Spoiler

I don't see myself reading any more of the future Robert Galbraith books to be published. Coincidentally, next up on my list to read are the Harry Potter books so I am hoping that this isn't a bad sign for how much I will like those ones.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Whee!!! Amazon just let me know that my copy of Hyperbole and a Half is on its way!!
    Mine too! I bought it last night through her book blog with the special order button.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    I finally finished Peking Picnic, which I enjoyed, despite the often disparaging descriptions of the the Chinese. I have another of Ann Bridge's "Chinese" novels, but I doubt that I'll read it. Tonight I started Transit. A little slow to start, but I think I will like this one much better.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    S

I don't see myself reading any more of the future Robert Galbraith books to be published. Coincidentally, next up on my list to read are the Harry Potter books so I am hoping that this isn't a bad sign for how much I will like those ones.
    I didn't like Cuckoo either but I have never heard of anyone starting to read JKR with that and not HP! HP prose isn't Nobel Prize in literature material but JKR's imagination is . Great sense of humor too. The first 2 books are more kiddy but get more and more adult with each book after that. Enjoy!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I didn't like Cuckoo either but I have never heard of anyone starting to read JKR with that and not HP! HP prose isn't Nobel Prize in literature material but JKR's imagination is . Great sense of humor too. The first 2 books are more kiddy but get more and more adult with each book after that. Enjoy!
    Heh, well I had been meaning to read Harry Potter for a while and it was next up on my list but then this one came up for book club. HP is pretty good so far, I already like it better than Cuckoo's Calling after just a few chapters.

The person who convinced me to read HP made the same comment that the books grow more adult as the character ages...I thought that sounded like the Little House books, which I totally adore, so I figured that even though the subject matter is completely different, it's worth giving HP a chance.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    If you like it already, I am guessing you will love it later on.

from Speedy Death

Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast