Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    having a nice day
    vCash
    Garage sale finds: "the psychopath test" was funny and "kitchen confidential" simultaneously makes you hungry yet never wanting to eat out ever again lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Oh goodness yes! ITA!

Does anyone have any good fiction titles recs? I'm currently reading a lot of non-fiction because I can't find any fiction that keeps me engaged. I want something that is feel good (I can't do any depressing reads right now) but not predictable. Also, something that is not too easy but not too hard either would be great. Lastly, I want to stay away from smutty books. I'm not really in the mood for that now either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I recommend Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. I think it fits the criteria you listed. It really is a wonderful story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I would add a fifth, Richard Armitage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsLOyLdNa5Y
    I'd add Colin Firth. His reading of The End of the Affair was magnificent. I heard recently he won an award for it.

Oh goodness yes! ITA!

Does anyone have any good fiction titles recs? I'm currently reading a lot of non-fiction because I can't find any fiction that keeps me engaged. I want something that is feel good (I can't do any depressing reads right now) but not predictable. Also, something that is not too easy but not too hard either would be great. Lastly, I want to stay away from smutty books. I'm not really in the mood for that now either.

Have you read The Night Circus yet? If not, you might find it a refreshing change of pace. I did.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

having a nice day
    vCash
    Hey I just remembered I downloaded the Victorian slang dictionary from publicdomainreview.org
    V interesting reading!

vCash
    I finished Shreve's "Light on Snow" this morning. Very dissaatisfying. No real change in the characters that I can see and the resolution seemed too fast and too pat. I'm really glad I got this one for almost-free (came in a bag of audio tapes that I got for $3 at a church sale) because I'd feel really ripped off if I'd paid full price for it.

So I immediately started Clive Cussler's "Trojan Odessey" to counter Shreve's cloying sentimentality with pure action-adventure.

In paper, I'm contuing with Teresa Grant's historical mysteries, "Imperial Scandal" which centers on the days leading up to Waterloo and the spying and counter-spying going on between the Allied armies and Napoleon's forces. I'm having a bit of trouble keeping up with all the relationships and affairs and past affairs going on amid the miriad main characters - and now four-fifths of the way through, they've just introduced yet another scandalously-pregnant young female who's killed herself in shame - but might have been murdered instead; as a plot device, it's getting rather tired.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    The Giller Prize longlist was just announced.

Unlike some other literary awards I could name , I find most of the Giller nominated & winning books to be extremely readable. I haven't yet read any on this year's list, though several were already "on my list," and I have read other books by the same authors (Lisa Moore, Joseph Boyden, Lynn Coady, Dennis Bock, Wayne Grady).

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Except I really think that Richard Armitage should be seen and heard
    Absolutely seen and heard.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash

Re: New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I recommend Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. I think it fits the criteria you listed. It really is a wonderful story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I'd add Colin Firth. His reading of The End of the Affair was magnificent. I heard recently he won an award for it.

Have you read The Night Circus yet? If not, you might find it a refreshing change of pace. I did.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I downloaded both books. I started Major Pettigrew today. It is a much welcome change from a badly written "new adult" novel I started but likely will not finish.

"If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I'm now back into medieval mystery mode with Susannah Gregory's "A Deadly Brew." Someone is poisoning people in Cambridge with bottles of wine that are popping up seemingly at random and it's up to Brother Michael and Dr. Bartholomew to identify the poison and track it to its source before war between town and gown explodes. I really enjoy this series. It's fascinating to see how mysteries are solved just through obervation and questioning, without fancy forensics and lab tests. Matt and Michael are perfect partners in crime-solving and the settings are so vivid, I feel as if I am walking the streets of Cambridge with them.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I finished MaddAddam, the third in the trilogy by Margaret Atwood. Meh. I quite liked the first one (Oryx and Crake) for its originality, really liked the second one (Year of the Flood) for its characters and story ... but this one missed the mark for me. As a conclusion to the trilogy it wasn't entirely unsatisfying, but the plot was all over the place. Although I enjoyed reading Zeb's backstory, I thought there was already more than enough "before" told in the previous two books, and wanted more "after."

The best parts of the story were

Spoiler

And the pigoons. The pigoons were awesome.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I got the new JD Robb and for a first, I don't really like it. This is one of her throw away books. You know who done it, how and why right away. The problem with that means you get a lot of repeated prose of Eve's history (I just skip forward now) and a lot of rumination from Eve and team rather than problem solving. I'm skipping through that as well. I'm skipping a lot and am bored. Nora didn't have much plot this time and just cranked out her semi-annual book. The last one was much better. But, I do admire how she's kept a very long series (I think we're up to 22 or 23 books now) interesting by moving Eve, Roarke and friends along life's pathway. That in itself is an accomplishment that few authors have managed to do with their serials. So, if you're a big fan get the new book, otherwise wait for the library or the paperback.

I've spent most of the book looking at how she's changed things over this long series (almost 20 years) which takes place in about 3 years of literary time. The characters didn't have tablets and smart phones "3" years ago and now they do. I've been amusing myself comparing this book to the first one and looking for the technology that's evolved.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    Garage sale finds: "the psychopath test" was funny and "kitchen confidential" simultaneously makes you hungry yet never wanting to eat out ever again lol.
    Great find! I am reading Kitchen Confidential now and am loving it. Excellent snark.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Ian Rankin has a new Rebus book coming out - guess he missed Rebus too! I put a hold on it at the library but I may buy it instead if I can't take the wait.

Currently reading Kate Morton's The House at Riverton which has a Dowton Abbey feel to it for those that like that time period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jadingirl View Post
    Ian Rankin has a new Rebus book coming out - guess he missed Rebus too! I put a hold on it at the library but I may buy it instead if I can't take the wait.
    Thanks for the heads up! (Tho not quite quick enough -- there were 9 holds ahead of me, on 3 copies, at my library.) I really enjoyed the "return of Rebus" in Standing in Another Man's Grave (did you read that one?), so this is definitely one to look forward to. Though I was expecting it -- it was pretty obvious after that book that we'd have more Rebus to come.

It was interesting how he (Rankin) morphed Fox in that book though. In the two Fox books, he was dry and perhaps even cold at times, but not unlikable. In Standing he became obsessive, petty, and vindictive. I almost felt sorry for him! A good foil for Rebus though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jadingirl View Post
    Currently reading Kate Morton's The House at Riverton which has a Dowton Abbey feel to it for those that like that time period.
    I read this a few weeks ago and loved it. I've also read Morton's other two books (The Distant Hours and The Forgotten Garden) and enjoyed them, although not as much as The House at Riverton. Just started her most recent novel, The Secret Keeper, which is also very good so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! (Tho not quite quick enough -- there were 9 holds ahead of me, on 3 copies, at my library.) I really enjoyed the "return of Rebus" in Standing in Another Man's Grave (did you read that one?), so this is definitely one to look forward to. Though I was expecting it -- it was pretty obvious after that book that we'd have more Rebus to come.

It was interesting how he (Rankin) morphed Fox in that book though. In the two Fox books, he was dry and perhaps even cold at times, but not unlikable. In Standing he became obsessive, petty, and vindictive. I almost felt sorry for him! A good foil for Rebus though.
    Yes I really liked Standing in Another Man's Grave too. I had tried to warm up to Fox but he made it difficult so I was glad to get Rebus back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I read this a few weeks ago and loved it. I've also read Morton's other two books (The Distant Hours and The Forgotten Garden) and enjoyed them, although not as much as The House at Riverton. Just started her most recent novel, The Secret Keeper, which is also very good so far.
    I bought this online from the Bargain Book section in the spring with no idea what it was about and now just finally decided to give it a try and can't put it down. I look forward to my lunch break at work just so I can read and ending up losing track of time - hope I don't get in trouble!

vCash
    Thanks for the suggestions! I downloaded both books. I started Major Pettigrew today. It is a much welcome change from a badly written "new adult" novel I started but likely will not finish.

Ever read any of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books? Also last year my book club read The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zima. Delightful book (and I believe there are 2 or 3 more that continue the series).

Right now my brain is so fried I'm just reading through our Asterix collection.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Ever read any of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books? Also last year my book club read The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zima. Delightful book (and I believe there are 2 or 3 more that continue the series).

Right now my brain is so fried I'm just reading through our Asterix collection.
    I haven't read the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books. I remember when the miniseries came on HBO. I should check it out. I'm also going to check out Zima's book as well.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Has anyone here read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood? I'm about fifty pages in, and it's not as intriguing as I'd hoped. It seems sort of pretentious and implausible.

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast