Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Likewise, I didn't mean to implicate amazon. They are usually good, including their sellers. It was a music exchange website. Whew, Jeff Bezos can sleep better now.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Has anyone read Gone Girl? That sounds interesting. The plot twist intrigues me but I'd like if the rest of the book is good, too.
    Funny, I just finished Sharp Objects, also by Gillian Flynn. That was one book where I felt I needed brain bleach after reading it.

I'm now reading The Broken Seal by Ladislas Farago. It details the American and Japanese code-breaking operations between 1921 and 1941, and was one of the books used as a basis for the movie Tora! Tora! Tora!. My father, who was involved with cryptographics during his Army service 50 years ago (this, and WWII are two pet subjects of his), recommended I read it. I thought it would be very dry going, but I'm finding it to be very interesting reading.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I'm halfway through Lee Child's new Reacher novel and so far it's one of the best he's written in a very long time. I've actually laughed outloud several times and not because Child is being ridiculous. I already feel sorry for Reacher as you know it's not going to end well with Maj. Turner who he's been trying to get to DC to see for 3 books in a row. She's a tiny female Reacher in so many ways. He's in lurve and, well if you read the Reacher books, we all know how that's going to end. And, he's back in the Army. I won't spoil how that came about. And, he may or may not have a kid! Imaging a 14 yo female Reacher kidlet! But, that may or may not be true, although, he sort of wants it to be. Another clue this is going to make me cry at the end. I've never felt sorry for him before because he's always done what he wants (or envys the howling wolf---a referece in the book). I'll finish it tonight.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I'm halfway through Lee Child's new Reacher novel and so far it's one of the best he's written in a very long time.
    I'm on to your game, rfisher. You're just saying all this to torment me.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I actually read a fairly new book last week. A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams. It was an Amazon Daily Deal for Kindle. I wish I had not wasted that $2.99.

It attempts to be a historical fiction but is bogged down with a preposterous plot, badly done jumping between two periods of the characters' lives, and a whole cast of basically unlikable characters. The main character comes off as dumber than dumb--not being able to put perfectly simple things together or understand the dynamics of her own life and family. The character who turns out to be the key to everyone's problems is a background figure and Williams even forgets to tell us her fate at the end, you have to assume what happened to her. And the romantic hero is terribly bland and it is hard to figure out why, presumably, two characters want him so badly. And, finally, I would add, that if you are going to write about baseball, even tangentially, you should do at least five minutes of research first. At least then, you might find out that no player in 1938 would be talking about the upcoming playoffs as he would be anticipating them 31 years early.

Now I am in the middle of Inside Scientology by Janet Reiman via the library. Moved from bad fiction to an expose of religion based on bad fiction. It is fairly engaging and quite appalling.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I'm on to your game, rfisher. You're just saying all this to torment me.
    You know you want to know about miniReacher and femaleReacher. She even has a collapsible toothbrush.

having a nice day
    vCash
    It took me 2 weeks to read 52 pages of "Inferno" and 1 second to say "**** this ****" So , like, I don't recommend it.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    I just finished Peeps, which is about *cough* sort of zombies, sort of vampires, but not really.

I liked it. Cats are also featured prominently.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    That reminds me--I read a piece today about how none of us should lecture for more than five minutes because more lecture than that isn't engaging for those who don't like lecture; the students who are willing to sit through a long lecture will be fine no matter what we do.

As soon as I read it, I thought of you . If I can find the link, I will send it to you by PM, because I think you MUST read it .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    What am I supposed to do with freshmen for the other 45 minutes?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Show them your Snoopy.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I PMd you, too. Enjoy

vCash
    Show them your Snoopy.
    they already saw it.

I PMd you, too. Enjoy

Just found out Peeps has a sequel! More vampire (sort of)/zombies (sort of) and cats!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Kindle singles and the future of publishing: http://ht.ly/oBrZD

I post this because some here have talked about how certain books are too long and need editing, and the article shed some light on why that might be so.

Also, there is now a NetFlix for e-readers named Oyster: http://mashable.com/2013/09/05/oyster-launch/

I might actually go for it if more publishers were involved.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    This is a couple of years old now but I only just now found it. Very cute.

It's a book.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Kindle singles and the future of publishing: http://ht.ly/oBrZD

I post this because some here have talked about how certain books are too long and need editing, and the article shed some light on why that might be so.
    Very interesting, thanks for posting!

(Though personally I find "bookeen" awkward and a bit weird looking. I'd be more in favour of "bookette.")

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Prancer, I neeeeeeeed you to read the new Reacher so I can bitch about how much I hate Lee Childs at the moment.

And, PL, there's a new Pendergast coming and you'd better not get another advanced copy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    I just finished the book "Night Film" by Marisha Pessi. It was way outside my usual choices as it is kind of a mystery/horror novel but it got
    such great reviews that I was intrigued. Apparently, this is the second book she has written with her first one a bestseller and then a seven year gap. I have to say I really enjoyed it - it is long - but never a dull moment and full of twists and turns. I am also looking forward to the new Reacher book - he is like an old friend to me. The book is released two days before my birthday - so happy birthday me.
    Oh em gee. Just finished this one. At first, I didn't like it as much as I expected - the characters seemed too contrived (Nora) or too perfect (Ashley) but the last third of the book was incredible and mind blowing and I didn't see things coming at all. It went in a completely different direction than I expected. Really, really enjoyed it.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    (Though personally I find "bookeen" awkward and a bit weird looking. I'd be more in favour of "bookette.")
    I thought the same thing.

Prancer, I neeeeeeeed you to read the new Reacher so I can bitch about how much I hate Lee Childs at the moment.
    Dear me, Lee Child has let you down, has he? Well, I will let you know when I get the book from the library. It shouldn't be too long; there are only four people ahead of me and the library has 26 copies.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    He made Reacher human rather than the robot machine of the last 5 or so books then he crushed us. I hate him.

Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast