Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    I just finished Hugh Howey's Wool Omnimbus- bought it at 7 last night and finished it at 2 this afternoon- all 508 pages of it. Great dystopian SF page turner, and proof that self-published does not always mean bad writing. Ridley Scott has the movie rights, and I can see it making a great movie. I especially like the title "Wool" because it seems fitting on several levels. It was shelved at Chapters in the fiction section, which is where they always seem to put SF once it becomes a best-seller- out of the ghetto, I suppose.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    it is so hot here, i wanted to reread something as i have brain fever and cant tax myself. i dug out the charm school by nelson demille and i think it was even better than i remembered it.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I love that book. I'm glad it wasn't made into a movie and ruined.

vCash
    After "Jamaica Inn" I'm swearing off DeMaurier forever. Even as pure Gothic, it was lame. I'm now onto the cloying drivel that is "Freinds, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. These were part of a buck-a-bag haul I got at a church sale; I picked up every cassette audio they had. Unfortunately, my ancient car is dying and will probably be replaced before I get through all the tapes.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I loved that book - it was really hard to get into at the beginning, but I finished and wanted to start again.
    See, I had the opposite experience - confused at the beginning, LOVED the middle, then was a little bored by the end - but I loved the last chapter, so that helped. It was a good read overall. I feel like I didn't totally get it though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    After "Jamaica Inn" I'm swearing off DeMaurier forever.
    I almost swore off her after reading "Don't Look Now." Scared the CRAP out of me (and I hear the movie is even scarier). But I still like some of her other stuff. Loved The Scapegoat, which I read a few months ago.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Finished "The Girls of Atomic City". I didn't love it. I barely liked it by the end. Author decided to jump from character to character, and had random chapters in between about the Manhattan Project and scientists working on it. Seemed like too much material for the book.

Library still closed. Locked up waiting for me are "The Son" and "A Treacherous Paradise". And there may be another in their overstuffed book drop box - both were so full today I couldn't get a book in there...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I almost swore off her after reading "Don't Look Now." Scared the CRAP out of me (and I hear the movie is even scarier). But I still like some of her other stuff. Loved The Scapegoat, which I read a few months ago.
    If the movie is the one with Donald Sutherland, it is VERY creepy. I watched in from Netflix not too awfully long ago. The ending. . . oh, my goodness. I didn't realize it was based on a DuMaurier work. I'm sure it was in the credits, but I didn't notice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    If the movie is the one with Donald Sutherland, it is VERY creepy.
    Yes, it is -- so I hear. I'm far too chicken to watch it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'd never heard of either the book or film Don't Look Now - sounds intriguing. (aslo - it's so hard to remember that Donald Sutherland was ever young!)
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    The Man Booker Prize long list is out. I was happy to see that my favourite book of the year so far (A Tale for the Time Being, by Ruth Ozeki) made the list -- my reads so rarely coincide with the Booker list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    The Man Booker Prize long list is out. I was happy to see that my favourite book of the year so far (A Tale for the Time Being, by Ruth Ozeki) made the list -- my reads so rarely coincide with the Booker list.
    I really tried to get into that book - awesome premise, great descriptions. But, it got too quantum leap for me near the end.

Oleada - I took the ending of "Life After Life" to be that everyone gets a 'do over' until you get it absolutely perfect. And the last chapter blew me away, it was like a box within a box within .....

vCash
    I am such a pleb. None of those books sound remotely interesting to me. Right now I'm reading Kathleen Gilles Seidel's "Summer's End" which I picked up because one of the characters is an ice skater.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I just finished reading a mystery by Clyde Linsley called Death Spiral because the mystery centers around a pair skater who is being threatened. Not a whole lot of skating content though. I get the impression that the author's research included spending a few hours at a rink and interviewing a coach or two. And some real-life champions were mentioned, the most recent being Tara Lipinski (the book was copyrighted in 2000).

vCash
    I loved this article (complete with pretty pictures):

An Illustrated Guide to Buying the Classics

I'm really getting into beautiful books lately. Of course I can't afford to buy as many as I'd like, but sometimes I just drool over pictures of them on the Internet!!

vCash
    Wyliefan, thanks for posting the article "An Illustrated Guide to Buying the Classics".
    I have some Folio editions, but now I'll look into the Penguin and Barnes editions. They are beautiful too!

vCash
    I joined the library that's about a mile from work - easy drop off and pickup. And I've already put a hold request in for everything that's on my 'regular' library hold list (they're still closed).

E-reading 'The Oracle Glass', "a novel set in 17th-century Paris and Versailles, tinged with the occult and a feminist sensibility." Seems to be a YA novel, but it's not bad. (and I've already figured out which guy will save her at the end).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I'm reading Kathleen Gilles Seidel's "Summer's End" which I picked up because one of the characters is an ice skater.
    Is it any good? I've seen it recommended in romance forums, but not by anyone who's an actual skating fan.

vCash
    Apologies if it's been mentioned, but is anyone reading The Light in the Ruins? It got a good review in the Washington Post this morning. Been thinking about picking it up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...080_story.html

vCash
    Wyliefan, I have a hold on this at the library. Looked amazing.

Tonight I get to pick up "The Son" and "A Treacherous Paradise".

Finished "The Oracle Glass" last night. Not a fan by the end. Lots of hand wringing by the 'heroine' about her one twu luv.

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast