Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I strongly suspect that the leak about the author's identity came from her camp, once it became clear that the book, on its own merits, was not selling. Though it's definitely cool that she was apparently able to write well in a different genre completely.
    According to my news station, it was one of the Newspapers that investigated - the Sunday Times? Who knows. Your suspicion is just as valid.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    But back to #11 - this is the one that contains both the $100K reference and the Hendrix record element that we talked about in the last thread re lazy research/inaccuracies that bug us in books. The $100K one wasn't as bad as a thought in one way - they didn't assume the writer was European but rather than they must've spent time in the military and/or abroad, and at that point they knew it was their former army buddy, so in essence they were patting themselves on the back. So Child clearly has no idea, despite living in NY for some years himself, that Americans regularly describe things like salaries and running in K terms. But personally, I was more offended as a Canadian (hey Mr Child, you know that great big country on top of the US?) because we've used the metric system for about four decades now, and given the close relationship between Canadian and US culture there is naturally a lot of spillover, and Americans might just be a little more worldly than he thinks
    It wasn't so much the reference, but the fact that he was so wrong on that one and he went on about it for something like a page and a half.

I get the feeling that Child is very tech awkward and has tried to turn it into an endearing quality of Reacher's, but you simply can't get away with errors like that any more. Not to mention the heavy use of faxes in this book - in 2006/2007??
    And if it had just been Reacher, it might have been okay, because one wouldn't expect Reacher to be up on technology. But in this case, the other people with him should have been all over Google and it was glaringly weird that they were not. And too, too convenient that they found the record in a store right away in spite of the record being rare--although I thought that whole story was a setup for a joke.

I saw the Jack Reacher movie a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't as hard to take Tom Cruise as I expected, mostly because he was so entirely different from my mental image of Reacher--not just in terms of his size, but in just about every way--that I just kind of stopped thinking about the books altogether. The opening scenes feature Reacher walking around buying clothes at Goodwill while women cast him overtly lustful looks, which is just not how I see Reacher at all, and it went from there. I just didn't think about the books; it probably helps that I read One Shot several yeas ago and only dimly remembered the plot.

So, it wasn't bad at all, really. My husband observed that the older Tom gets, the more he looks like Dustin Hoffman, which cracked me up because there are some scenes where he does indeed look pretty Rainman-ish.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Yeah, reading them all in a row like this, the patterns become a bit tedious - I know more about guns than I ever needed to know! I was also getting tired of the guesses based on complicated logic - like in One Shot when they decided who the real target was among the 5 people shot - but then in the kidnapping book, he was proven wrong so many times and I thought maybe Child was responding to criticism.

But I'm still enjoying them for the most part and will press on I like Reacher, most of the other characters he works with are well drawn, he's cut back on the truly disgusting stuff that filled the first few books, and the writing is suspenseful enough for a lazy Sunday and bedtime reading.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Yeah, reading them all in a row like this, the patterns become a bit tedious - I know more about guns than I ever needed to know! I was also getting tired of the guesses based on complicated logic - like in One Shot when they decided who the real target was among the 5 people shot - but then in the kidnapping book, he was proven wrong so many times and I thought maybe Child was responding to criticism.
    Child seems kind of conflicted on just how much of a Superman he wants Reacher to be. In general, I like the first-person books better than the third-person books because Reacher doesn't constantly go on about how awesome he is in his own head, whereas in the third-person books, part of the point of the narrative change seems to be that everyone else is just so darned impressed with him.

Child makes a cameo appearance in the movie, BTW, although I didn't realize it until I saw the credits.

You will have to let us know what you think of #12.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    They've signed Sam Heughan to play Jamie a;ready: http://goodbadandunread.com/wp-conte...mie-Fraser.jpg No word on anyone else, though.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I doubt I'd think anyone could be the Jamie I have in my head.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    According to my news station, it was one of the Newspapers that investigated - the Sunday Times? Who knows. Your suspicion is just as valid.
    NPR interviewed the Sunday Times writer. He said he realized quickly it wasn't a 'new' author and called the publisher asking for an interview and was turned down. Then he gave them his suspicions and heard nothing. Then a tweet went out. He thinks the tweet was from Rowling. I think she's too rich to care.

I've read the first chapter and it's pretty good. The woman can write an amazing book, so I'll be getting on my library list too (when they finally get around to ordering it)...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    They've signed Sam Heughan to play Jamie a;ready: http://goodbadandunread.com/wp-conte...mie-Fraser.jpg No word on anyone else, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I doubt I'd think anyone could be the Jamie I have in my head.
    I'm not sure I like this, either, and he's a bit old to play the younger Jamie. But OTOH, I can't think of a better option - as one blogger once wrote (jokingly!):
    There's never been, nor will there ever be, a man born of a human woman who can ever even hope to approach the pure and glorious manliness of Jamie Fraser.

I guess if Gabaldon approves then he must be an appropriate choice for Jamie.

I think Claire might actually be the tougher role to cast; she's a pretty unconventional character and would be tough to really get right.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm now on Hanging Hill by Mo Hayder. it has an interesting enough start, although it's set up in a way that it may be similar to an episode of Criminal Minds - you (almost) know the killer right off the bat, and the story is in both the HOW and the journey taken by people affected by the crime. I am hoping that's not it, though, because the person being set up as the incredibly likely killer is so OTT awful, and one of the characters we're supposed to be invested in is being set up as completely pathetic, that it's hard to imagine caring for 300-ish pages.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Just me
    vCash
    Thanks for the blog link, Zemgirl. Funny!!

(btw, I fall in the "love it" camp)
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I take a break all the time, it's much more fun for me that way I do read the occasional classic or Serious Literature, just not that often.

My approach is that books are not vegetables that should be consumed because they are good for you; I only consume books and vegetables that I like
    Oh I LIKE serious literature, immensely. Just because it's a bit more effort doesn't mean it's not fun, just a different kind of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Gotta hand it to her. After all the "Will it be as good as Harry Potter??" hubbub over her last novel, she probably just wanted to publish something that would be received on its own merits.
    Exactly. I wish though, I could read this book without knowing it was written by her. Now I will be looking for the hallmark JKR writing problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    BTW, IceAlisa, getting back to Bleak House -- your timing is perfect.
    OMG, awesome!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Dropped off 2 books at the library tonight and had someone nice check my holds (14 at the moment). Seems despite my being #1 in the queue for 10 books, 4 have come in, gone on the shelf and then gone out for another month to someone who's not even in the queue. Lady said "well, some of us just don't see the 'hold' request." She was going to make some calls tonight on 3 of the books that have been overdue for weeks. I'll be going back tomorrow night with a printed list of what I've got on hold - I have the feeling that some are shelved. There's no way that some of them can be out for 4 months, they're not THAT popular.

In other news "The Fault in Our Stars" is $3.99 on Kindle today. It was $10. It's now mine, along with 3 others that I wanted.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I didn't read JKR's first non-Potter book (although it's sitting in the bookshelf) and it's a little disconcerting to read her liberal use of swear words. HP it's not. There are bits of humor, but still not as much as in HP. She needs to remember that was one of the best parts of HP. But, the story is interesting and well written.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I am definitely in "women write about WWII" mode this summer. I'm currently engrossed in vol. 2 of Hocking's "Good Daughters" trilogy. Also, Transit by Anna Seghers and The Exiles Return by Elisabeth de Waal arrived today. I will probably alternate these with different periods/genres, though.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I didn't read JKR's first non-Potter book (although it's sitting in the bookshelf) and it's a little disconcerting to read her liberal use of swear words. HP it's not. There are bits of humor, but still not as much as in HP. She needs to remember that was one of the best parts of HP. But, the story is interesting and well written.
    Yes, her humor, great sense of dialog and the intricacy of detail of HP world were key to her success IMO and not the well-crafted prose. I too skipped her first non-HP book after it got Kakutanied.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 07-17-2013 at 06:19 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Kakutanied?...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i'm hoping someone here gets an advance copy of the goldfinch. i cant wait. i hope it doesnt end up letting me down like the little friend.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Reading Life after Life right now and really enjoying it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    ^^Awesome, isn't it?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Reading Life after Life right now and really enjoying it.
    I loved that book - it was really hard to get into at the beginning, but I finished and wanted to start again.

Just finished "A Fatal Grace" by Louise Penny last night. I liked "Still Life" better. Looks like she stays in Three Pines for the next few books in the series.

My library's closed again, this time for AC issues. Guess it's good that it's not the gas line again? I wonder if the library's cursed since I joined it?

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast