Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    My sister reads a series called The Skinjacker Trilogy Series to her gifted and talented 6th graders every year.
    I read the synopsis - sounds like a girl's book. Do they work for boys too?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I read the synopsis - sounds like a girl's book. Do they work for boys too?
    I think so. I read the first 5 chapters while I was working summer school. At least half of the characters are boys and the author is male. I think it's just as likely to appeal to boys as girls.
    Last edited by A.H.Black; 07-13-2013 at 11:24 PM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I think so. I read the first 5 chapters while I was working summer school. At least half of the characters are boys and the author is male. I think it's just as likely to appeal to boys as girls.
    Thanks.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Just finished "Still Life" by Louise Penny (the first Gamache book). And LOVED it. I'm supposed to be outside sweating at a pool party, but it's been sticky hot or pouring all day here, so I have zero guilt for not going.

For those who have read the Gamache series - do they ever go into the Arnot case in greater detail?

Next up is either "The Girls of Atomic City" or the second Penny book (A Fatal Grace) - I can see me totally immersing in Gamache for the weekend.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    PML! JK Rowling pulls a fast one on the literary community: http://news.yahoo.com/jk-rowling-rev...110756185.html

I have to get this book!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    PML! JK Rowling pulls a fast one on the literary community: http://news.yahoo.com/jk-rowling-rev...110756185.html

I have to get this book!
    So we've learned that 1. JK Rowling can write crime/mystery/detective fiction (I'm not surprised; she's a very good plotter) 2. she can get good reviews for books in a different genre 3. all the good reviews don't help sales all that much for a new writer; until she revealed it's her book, it sold about 1,500 copies. It's probably been selling more than that per hour since she made the announcement

I'm not really a fan of that genre, so I'm going to pass.

Next on my TBR list: a new book by Courtney Milan (which I just bought on Smashwords, yay for self-publishing), plus Meir Shalev's Fontanella for my book club.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Detective fiction is how I take a break from the heavy lifting in literature. I can't be reading modern minimalist Japanese fiction or Dickens all the time, can I? <--these are how I take a break from Henry James
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Detective fiction is how I take a break from the heavy lifting in literature. I can't be reading modern minimalist Japanese fiction or Dickens all the time, can I? <--these are how I take a break from Henry James
    I take a break all the time, it's much more fun for me that way I do read the occasional classic or Serious Literature, just not that often.

My approach is that books are not vegetables that should be consumed because they are good for you; I only consume books and vegetables that I like

vCash
    I like Patterson's books as easy reading. I started with the Women's Murder Club ones and then moved on to the Alex Cross series. The only one of the latter that I didn't like at all was "Cross Country" because it seemed like all he did was get caught, beat up, imprisoned, beat up, escape, get caught, get beat up, etc. I haven't really cared for the ones with co-authors that I've tried, though. "Private Games" was memorable only because it was set during the London Olympics and I wondered how accurate the settings and plot could be, given that it was written and published before the games actually took place.

I'm still reading through my stack of cozies; finished "Hease and Buggy" by Laura Bradford, the first in an Amish series. It was okay but I don't know if I'll bother hunting out any of the others. I started another first-in-a-series last night during an insomia bout, something about a Soup restaurant in Vermont but the writing was actually so poor that I put it aside and started a reread of Gabaldon's "Crossstritch" the British version of "Outlander." I was curious about the differences between the two publications (although they're supposed to be very slight) and with STARZ making a series for broadcast next spring, it seemed like a good time to refresh my memory.

In the car, I'm ome the last chapters of Vince Flynn's "Consent to Kill" - finally - I think that getting the unabridged version was a mistake as it seems like it's dragged on and on.... After that I have DeMaurier's "Jamaica Inn" on tap for a change of pace.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I started another first-in-a-series last night during an insomia bout, something about a Soup restaurant in Vermont but the writing was actually so poor that I put it aside and started a reread of Gabaldon's "Crossstritch" the British version of "Outlander." I was curious about the differences between the two publications (although they're supposed to be very slight) and with STARZ making a series for broadcast next spring, it seemed like a good time to refresh my memory.
    The only one I really noticed was that the 20th century parts of Cross-Stitch are set in April-May of 1946, as opposed to 1945 in Outlander. The former does make more sense, considering WW2 was still going on in the first part of 1945 and both Claire and her husband served in the military during the war.

Casting Jamie Fraser will be really difficult, but someone is going to have a lot of fun playing both Randalls

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash

I have to get this book!
    Already have it. The reviews are good. I'll start it today after I finish my current John Sanford (I've been racing through all the Lucas Davenport books---sort of after the fact since I read his Virgil Flowers series first. I love Virgil and am ambivalent about Lucas.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash

I have to get this book!
    Gotta hand it to her. After all the "Will it be as good as Harry Potter??" hubbub over her last novel, she probably just wanted to publish something that would be received on its own merits.

BTW, IceAlisa, getting back to Bleak House -- your timing is perfect.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Aaaargh, "Beautiful Ruins" was a charming, lovely little book that I could barely put down...until the Big Pivotal Scene, which was a lazy, unbelievable exercise in annoying. I still couldn't put it down, but the last 40 or so pages were to 1) see if things would (could?) get back on track and 2) because I wanted to be done. Such a disappointment!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Still making my way through the entire Jack Reacher series, and enjoying very much. I'm now on book 11 - one the three Prancer said are considered among his worst - we'll see how it ends, but I'm 2/3 through and enjoying it very much. Probably the only one that really fell flat for more was #10 - the one where the militia guy's wife is kidnapped in NY that ends in a standoff at a farmhouse in England. I've read a lot of kidnapping stories over the years - going back to Murder on the Orient Express, speaking of Christie - and this one just isn't in that league at all, kind of out of Child's element.

But back to #11 - this is the one that contains both the $100K reference and the Hendrix record element that we talked about in the last thread re lazy research/inaccuracies that bug us in books. The $100K one wasn't as bad as a thought in one way - they didn't assume the writer was European but rather than they must've spent time in the military and/or abroad, and at that point they knew it was their former army buddy, so in essence they were patting themselves on the back. So Child clearly has no idea, despite living in NY for some years himself, that Americans regularly describe things like salaries and running in K terms. But personally, I was more offended as a Canadian (hey Mr Child, you know that great big country on top of the US?) because we've used the metric system for about four decades now, and given the close relationship between Canadian and US culture there is naturally a lot of spillover, and Americans might just be a little more worldly than he thinks

The Hendrix reference wasn't too bad but in another way ridiculous. It was a coded message in which someone referred to the second album, track 6, which is Little Wing and also the code name for something important. I checked the five album copies and one CD that hubby owns (don't ask), and indeed the track listing is consistent, as is the cover art. I asked my husband if Axis Bold as Love is indeed the second Hendrix album, and it definitely is - all the mix ups came later after he died and they started issuing and reissuing all kinds of stuff, throwing album and track orders all over the place. BUT, the book is copyright 2007, and three of the people discussing this had cell phones, and one of them had a top-of-the-line laptop with her, not to mention an assistant doing research for her back at the office - but they all went to a local record store to solve the puzzle

I get the feeling that Child is very tech awkward and has tried to turn it into an endearing quality of Reacher's, but you simply can't get away with errors like that any more. Not to mention the heavy use of faxes in this book - in 2006/2007??

vCash
    Finished Jude Morgan's An Accomplished Woman the other night. It's a Regency novel in the vein of Georgette Heyer (with lots and lots of Austen references worked in). LOVED the first half . . . was a little less enthusiastic about the second half. Morgan wants to show that some of the characters aren't exactly what we took them to be at first, a la Pride and Prejudice -- but his version of this is, "Hey, let's have these guys do a complete 180!" Er, no.

Still, it was a fun read with a lot of laugh-out-loud lines. Recommended.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Gotta hand it to her. After all the "Will it be as good as Harry Potter??" hubbub over her last novel, she probably just wanted to publish something that would be received on its own merits.
    I admire her for doing that.
    I'm looking forward to reading it.

I ordered the book; it's on backorder at Amazon.
    How many copies have been sold since her identity was revealed?
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 07-15-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: to add information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I strongly suspect that the leak about the author's identity came from her camp, once it became clear that the book, on its own merits, was not selling. Though it's definitely cool that she was apparently able to write well in a different genre completely.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I'm #10 in the library queue for The Cuckoo's Calling. I'm willing to bet that at least 7 of the 9 in the queue ahead of me heard about it being Rowling before I did!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I strongly suspect that the leak about the author's identity came from her camp, once it became clear that the book, on its own merits, was not selling. Though it's definitely cool that she was apparently able to write well in a different genre completely.
    Oh, I wouldn't be surprised. But she got the best of both worlds -- she got to see it reviewed honestly without all the hype attached to her name, and then she got to see it shoot up the bestseller charts once the truth came out. Nicely played.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    The only one I really noticed was that the 20th century parts of Cross-Stitch are set in April-May of 1946, as opposed to 1945 in Outlander. The former does make more sense, considering WW2 was still going on in the first part of 1945 and both Claire and her husband served in the military during the war.

Casting Jamie Fraser will be really difficult, but someone is going to have a lot of fun playing both Randalls
    They've signed Sam Heughan to play Jamie a;ready: http://goodbadandunread.com/wp-conte...mie-Fraser.jpg No word on anyone else, though.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast