Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Years ago I was reading someone's old copy of Peyton Place, only to find that the last few pages were missing. I went and got it from the local library to finish it, and was completely confused until I realized that a couple of the names had been changed in that edition. Must've been the skandal that broke out after it was first published, with people recognizing their neighbours in the characters. Wonder of that's why the books you mentioned changed - or maybe it was just the publishers thinking different names would go over better in another market?
    I don't think that's the case; the characters are clearly fictional and the books haven't been packaged differently that I can tell (as being in a different genre or anything like that). It's the same series, except Melanie and Charles Fraser become Suzanne and Charles Rannoch; their son Colin did get to keep his name. No reason given on Tracy Grant's website other than that her new publisher wanted new names.

FWIW, I also preferred the original title of the first book published in this series (Daughter of the Game) over the reissued version (Secrets of a Lady).

From the Bloc
    vCash
    You'd think nowadays publishers would be more global in their thinking - they've got to know that many are accessing books published in other countries and that we're all talking to each other. One case where it's particularly annoying (long predating international orders and the internet though) is Agatha Christie's novels. It's really hard to keep track of what you've read when you keep coming across new titles that turn out to be books you already read under another title.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    You'd think nowadays publishers would be more global in their thinking - they've got to know that many are accessing books published in other countries and that we're all talking to each other. One case where it's particularly annoying (long predating international orders and the internet though) is Agatha Christie's novels. It's really hard to keep track of what you've read when you keep coming across new titles that turn out to be books you already read under another title.
    I made this mistake once and any time I think I see a Christie book I haven't read, I have to go online first and make darn sure it isn't some other book under a different name. It is really aggravating and off putting because I take it personally, as if they are trying to trick me into buying an extra copy. I am sure there are other reasons they re-name the books, or at least I hope...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    i just want to clarify that in Tracy Grant's case, it's not that old books are being reissued with only the character names changed; the names were changed mid-series, so that in the newer books they appear under different names than in the old ones. But it's not the same as the Christie books that are being given different names as they are reissued.

vCash
    Ha. I thought at first maybe Wouk had used a real book as inspiration for it, but I guess not?
    Wouk makes it clear in the forward that von Roon is a fictional character - based on lots of real life German military officers.

vCash
    I just finished Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige Hill about growing up in Scientology and eventually getting out and realizing the extent of the brainwashing and control it exerts over its followers. Really horrifying in a lot of ways.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I'm trying to read What Maisie Knew but I'm finding it hard to get into. Has anyone else read it? Is it worth plowing through?

I had to read it for a college course, years ago, so yeah, I know what you mean. James's style can be sheer torture. I prefer his early works, before he decided to go all innovative and insanely wordy on us. Still, if you can stick with it, I think the actual story is worthwhile.

I did have to chuckle when I saw there was a movie tie-in edition, though. Bet it sells the least number of copies of any movie tie-in ever.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    The Edward Snowden/Russia drama playing out right now has reminded me of this book and I am off to dig it out and re-read it. It is about the tragic fate of a group of Americans who left the racially segregated and depression plagued US for a better life in 1930s Stalinist Russia.

The Forsaken: An American Tragedy in Stalin's Russia - Tim Tzouliadis
    Last edited by Buzz; 06-26-2013 at 08:22 PM.

vCash
    Entertainment Weekly gives their picks for the top 10 novels of all time.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I think this Goodreads list is a better one - Books everyone should read at least once.

I've just bought a copy of Shadows in Flight by Orson Scott Card (used so I don't give him my money) and From a Buick 8 by Stephen King. They should keep me busy this rainy long weekend.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Entertainment Weekly gives their picks for the top 10 novels of all time.
    That they picked a Willa Cather novel at all means I can't take this list seriously.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Lots of half price Nook books this weekend: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK.../379003094?r=1

And the $2.99 and under list is always good for a peek, as it changes all the time.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I think this Goodreads list is a better one - Books everyone should read at least once.
    No Dickens in the top 10, or even in the top 50? They lost me.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Just spotted that Neil Gaiman had a new book out last week - The Ocean at the End of the Lane. But drat, 11 people ahead of me in the library queue! (4 copies though, so hoping I won't have to wait too long.)

vCash
    Delving into the pile of bargain mysteries I've accumulated, I finished Judi McCoy's "Heir of the Dog" about a NYC dogwalker and her telephatic Yorkiepoo and started "Death, Taxes and a French Manicure" by Diane Kelly whose detective is an IRS accountant. Nothing too strenuous for my brain in this heat.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I see that Charlotte's Web is on that list. Maybe I should read it since I never read it as a child. I saw the cartoon as a kid but really don't remember much about it.

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns. I was visiting my family out of town and saw the book for $1.50 at a thrift store. So I bought it. It was easy in the sense that I got through it quickly but hard in the sense that it was one of the most depressing books I've ever read. Hosseini is a great storyteller but he doesn't let up on the tragedy or the melodrama. I actually received his latest novel, And the Mountains Echoed, from the library after being on the holds list. I'm trying to decide if I want to read it or return it and wait to read it at a different time. I think it might need something more uplifting after reading ATSS.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns. I was visiting my family out of town and saw the book for $1.50 at a thrift store. So I bought it. It was easy in the sense that I got through it quickly but hard in the sense that it was one of the most depressing books I've ever read. Hosseini is a great storyteller but he doesn't let up on the tragedy or the melodrama. I actually received his latest novel, And the Mountains Echoed, from the library after being on the holds list. I'm trying to decide if I want to read it or return it and wait to read it at a different time. I think it might need something more uplifting after reading ATSS.
    IKWYM: I haven't read A Thousand Splendid Suns yet, but I had that same reaction to The Kite Runner. I won an advance copy of And the Mountains Echoed but decided it wasn't really summertime reading -- I'll wait until darker and rainier days to tackle it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Just spotted that Neil Gaiman had a new book out last week - The Ocean at the End of the Lane. But drat, 11 people ahead of me in the library queue! (4 copies though, so hoping I won't have to wait too long.)
    I just finished this one last week. It was a fabulous, slim, magical book. I finished it in a day and loved it. I was lucky enough to get it second at my library. I keep an eye on what's coming out and then reserve as soon as holds are available. I'd never read his work before, but I'm now going to read everything of his that I can get my hands on.

My recent Amazon buys came from them matching the B&N and Sony sales - Divergent, The Glass Castle (Jeanette Wells' childhood memoir), The Shell Seekers (I love Rosamund Pilcher's older work) - all were $2.99 each, also picked up Life After Life ($7.99) -did a library loan on this and needed to buy it.

I also read "Eye of God" by James Rollins last week. The latest in his Sigma series. Lots of dark energy, and Genghis Kahn relics.

vCash
    Neil Gaiman is amazing. I have his new book sitting (unread) on my coffee table. My favorite of his, is "Neverwhere".
    Also, "Shell Seekers" is a perfect summer read type of book.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Neil Gaiman is amazing. I have his new book sitting (unread) on my coffee table. My favorite of his, is "Neverwhere".
    I've only read "Neverwhere," but I intend to read more of Gaiman as soon as the "stack" I have gets a bit smaller. I've given myself a rule about no more than thirty waiting books at a time.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast