Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Danny has been able to keep an astonishingly low online profile post-SYTYCD, so there's no way to know what has happened, but the show chatter about the piece gave the impression that Danny has either fallen into a drug habit or at the very least has become estranged from the Wall family. Even if it's true, I think it's kind of a low blow to give that impression about someone who is quite well known to the audience.
    ITA. Unless Danny approved of what they did - which is unlikely -- I really don't think it was right for either Travis or the show to do what they did. But, then again, I've never thought that the show treated Danny fairly. Not just because they rarely gave him his style of dance when he competed on the show, but because they unfairly made him out to be arrogant. He's probably still my favorite SYTYCD dancer ever, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he regrets going on the show and if their treatment of him has deterred other really talented dancers from going on the show.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    He's probably still my favorite SYTYCD dancer ever, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he regrets going on the show and if their treatment of him has deterred other really talented dancers from going on the show.
    I can guarantee you their treatment of Danny has deterred many excellent and well trained dancers from even trying out and most professional dancers I know don't even watch. I asked one friend of mine if she watched SYTYCD (an ex-Dance Theatre of Harlem ballerina and very well known choreographer now) and she said very bluntly that she didn't at all because when she first started watching it with high hopes for a good dance show, it was the year with Danny and she couldn't believe how they had treated him. I think her words were something like "Danny was a NY Times well reviewed soloist for American Ballet Theatre! Who did these people think they were?" I know professional dancers in Atlanta who make jokes about the show if the subject ever comes up. I think that's unfortunate, and I like the show myself and think they're being kind of snobby, personally. And my own little universe is small, and I'm sure there are many professional dancers who watch and like it. I guess. I can only comment on my own personal experience. I know all the little pre-professional and teen kids love it, and all the competition kids.

vCash
    I wasn't watching it back then -- how was he treated badly?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I wasn't watching it back then -- how was he treated badly?
    He was given the label of being "arrogant", for no reason other than he would not do the idiotic mugging for votes. His critique from the judges had little to do with his dancing and everything to do with his personality.

Although he DID end up making it to the F2, and IS widely regarded as the most talented dancer the show has seen, so they managed to right the ship somewhat.

There have been oodles of talented technical dancers on SYTYCD since then. What the show lacks is artists. But Nigel's comments about the commercial dance careers of SYTYCD alumni was pretty interesting. The show appeals to the competition kids because that's who it's for.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    It is odd how you see a few really good ballet/serious contemporary dancers during the try outs and think "Wow! Can't wait to see them in Vegas" and then they're history. Yes, it could be they can't hack it in ballroom or something, but I also think it could be because their companies tell them they can't continue in SYTYCD if they want their contract extended next year and/or they catch on to the seemingly whimsical nature of the SYTYCD selection process and just get disgusted. I've had numerous little ones from my studio go through try-outs, and while some make it another day, one to Vegas, they are all amazed at the seemingly nonsensical way people are chosen. It seems to make no sense or consistency. (My babies are no way near ready for that show-they're all ultra serious ballet mice....they need to stick to YAGP.) The most frequent comment is about how many excellent dancers get completely passed over.

Oh well, like I said, I like the show anyway. My problem is that so many watch it and don't realize that there is great dancing in the world outside this show-much better dancing. I do applaud Nigel's attempts to bring on guest companies, etc. It widens the audience, I do believe.

vCash
    we haven't seen any guest companies this year due to the new format though
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I'm okay with it not representing all kinds of dance. I'm pretty happy to have dance at all on TV, and the PBS-type presentations didn't draw a whole lot of audience.

I could do without a whole lot of the mugging. Mary surprises me by sometimes giving real technical feedback, but sometimes I'm just left wondering what the heck they saw that I didn't in terms of overall performance that they rhapsodize about. However, having seen that some skaters look way more impressive in person than on TV, and some less so, maybe that's it.

My only memory of Danny is having seen a video with him dancing with Lacey. She drove me bonkers.

vCash
    I looked at a synopsis of last week's episode from Entertainment Weekly which is a reputable magazine and they said that there is nothing going on with Danny. He is a principal dancer for a company in Oslo, Norway. I believe the story was inspired about Danny coming into Travis's life as a young kid from a not so great situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    My only memory of Danny is having seen a video with him dancing with Lacey. She drove me bonkers.
    I think the mistreatment of Danny has been over exaggerated. In the audition, he was pegged as arrogant, which was unkind. And throughout the season they were kind of pimping Sabra because they wanted a female winner and I think the producers thought she represented the viewership demographic and seeing someone "just like them" who took up dance relatively late and excelled was a good strategic move.

Over the course of his time on the show, which was the entire season as he made the finals and finished second, Danny received plenty of praise and admiration.

Much of the issue was the relative newness of the show. Danny was SLAMMED by people in the dance world for abandoning a promising ballet career to do a "reality show." There was an article in the NY Times attacking his choice. Just like Alex Wong, who left a great job with high prospects at the Miami Ballet, Danny obviously wanted to try something else. Unfortunately, it didn't go as well for him. He's kind of flown under the radar for the past few years. I've heard bits and pieces, but I really don't know what he has been doing. He did perform with the Bad Boys of Dance for a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    It is odd how you see a few really good ballet/serious contemporary dancers during the try outs and think "Wow! Can't wait to see them in Vegas" and then they're history. Yes, it could be they can't hack it in ballroom or something, but I also think it could be because their companies tell them they can't continue in SYTYCD if they want their contract extended next year and/or they catch on to the seemingly whimsical nature of the SYTYCD selection process and just get disgusted.
    I've thought that the reason they don't make it through the Vegas process is because they don't have the look, personality, or backstory that the producers are looking for. Nigel was pretty honest earlier this season when he criticized a dancer for not showing his personality because personality is the most important thing.

It wasn't just in the audition that they were unkind to Danny. It continued in their critiques of him. It wasn't until later in the season, after they had made themselves look like idiots, when they kind of turned around and I think it was Adam Shankman who kind of apologized for how they had been treating him. If I were a talented and more introverted dancer who didn't want to make my career based on mugging for Nigel and the camera and didn't want to risk arbitrary critiques, I would not go on the show. If I were like Malece and some of the blond cheerleader and dance competition types, this would be where I would go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    I looked at a synopsis of last week's episode from Entertainment Weekly which is a reputable magazine and they said that there is nothing going on with Danny. He is a principal dancer for a company in Oslo, Norway. I believe the story was inspired about Danny coming into Travis's life as a young kid from a not so great situation.
    Whatever happened happened earlier this year. And the dance was about second chances so he's probably doing better today.
    TRAVIS WALL 3:26 PM - 19 Feb 13
    ‏@travISova
    Hey twitter world. I really need everyone's help right now and pray for my brother Danny! I really believe sending white light heals people.

https://twitter.com/travISova/status/303963818940309504
    Denise Duncan Wall 1:45 AM - 22 Mar 13
    ‏@denisenergy

@TaraJean Danny is still in the hospital we are just taking it day by day and thank you for all of your
    Prayers!

https://twitter.com/denisenergy/stat...76032056807425

Beach Bum
    vCash
    ITA with Holley; the ballet dancers I know from NYCB and WB think it is a tacky competition-y show. The convention hall competition circuit is very different from YAGP or Varna/Moscow/Jackson or any of the ballet competitions. I was really surprised when Alex Wong showed up. He'd rather be a star of SYTYCD for a couple of months and in the chorus of Bway and TV shows the rest of the year instead of a soloist/principal track dancer in a very good ballet company all year? It is odd to me -- but yes, I will take any dance on TV. I like the show and think there are great dancers and good numbers on it. And I am really glad for my TV viewing pleasure that Alex made the strange choice.

Hey Holley, I think it is more likely that the good bunheads screwed up Hip Hop, than ballroom, LOL! A bunhead should be able to fake ballroom posture anyway. I was so surprised when Alex rocked the hip hop.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    You're right, Rob. Watching ballerinas take hip hop class is pretty amusing.....

I guess I said ballroom because that's what the dancer from my studio messed up in Vegas. Now he has his own extremely well-received contemporary company called "Post:Ballet" in San Francisco. His name is Robert Dekkers. He made good without making it on SYTYCD....Look him up! I think you'd appreciate what he is doing. he was with Arizona Ballet awhile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    Whatever happened happened earlier this year. And the dance was about second chances so he's probably doing better today.
    Thanks for the info. I couldn't find anything about this when I was too curious and googled him. But it sounds like an accident or illness.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Was part of Robert's face paralyzed? He looked so different.

I read online that he had a near death accident, but Nigel referred to a fall. Some blogs/sites I saw referred to a car accident. Weird.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Yay! That had some great all-stars this week: Melanine, Twitch, Brandon, Marko, Comfort, Kathryn...

Loved the chair routine at the beginning. Very interesting. I thought everyone did a good job in their routines this week. It was just a matter of who did I like more.

Aaron: I really, really, really hope he wins this competition. I just love him! The dance was beautiful and the chemistry was incredible as well. That connection was great and really enhanced the routine. Absolutely beautiful. Aaron is definitely my overall favorite of this season. I want to hug him and then take him out for sushi and a movie.

Mackenzie: She nailed this routine. People gush about Jasmines legs (which are definitely gush-worthy) but I think Mackenzie deserves some gushing over her legs and feet. Gorgeous! Her lines are incredible and she and Jakob were perfection. I do think Spencer Liffs and Sean Cheesman should take over for the Broadway choreo. Tyce's choreography just doesn't match up anymore. I was LIVID they sent Mackenzie home over Jenna. I think Jenna is good but I just don't connect with her at all. I think Mackenzie has done an outstanding job in damn near every routine she had and I think she's much more memorable than Jenna. I was so pissed to see her go, especially after that routine.

Jasmine: I really loved the choreography in this routine and, of course, that Robin Thicke song is the best! I do think there were some synchronization issues but more than anything, I just think Jasmine and Marko's styles are very different. Marko's style is more controlled; Jasmine hits her mark but she's not as staccato in her movements...she's a little loose. It works for her but it conflicts with a more controlled style of dance. Regardless of the issues, I loved the whole thing. It did have a few hints of Michael Jackson in it which was awesome. It was a fun routine and I thought they were great.

Tucker: Nice program from him and Robert. I thought there was a lot of emotion in that and he danced beautifully. This was definitely a case of right routine at the right time...there was no way the judges would send him packing after that.

FikShun: (YAY Melanie!) I thought FikShun kept up with Melanie but I can admit I was focused on her the whole time. I do think she's definitely one of the top 5 dancers this show has had and she killed that routine. FikShun held his own and proved that he can connect and shine with other dancers besides Amy.

Haley: (Twitch!! I love him!) I thought she held her own and really did a good job which is tough to do against an all-star like Twitch, especially when he's in his element. Haley reminds me of Tiffany from last season. Tiffany did well all season but somehow flew under the radar a bit. I didn't really take notice of her until she made the top 4. She made it all the way to the end...I think Haley may do the same thing here. I definitely think she'll be top 3.

Amy: (Brandon!! WHOO! My favorite male dancer of the series) Like everyone else I thought a disco version of "I Will Always Love You" was all kinds of weird but the dancing was nice. I'm not a fan of disco but those lifts were insane (yay for Brandon's biceps). Good energy despite the crappy music. I do think Brandon and Janette own disco...and the argentine tango!

Nico: I liked this routine. I always love quirky characters and I think NappyTabs did a good job of pulling the character out of Nico. When I saw he was paired with Comfort I just knew she was going to steamroll him but I was surprised! He did better in this routine than I expected. But being that he's been in the bottom so many times and with Tucker's amazing performance that night, it was his time to go.

Paul: Paul is great in his style, that's for sure, but I wasn't blown away by this routine. I did enjoy it but it didn't stand out as much for me as everyone else's.

Jenna: Again, another good routine but it felt kinda basic to me...especially next to the magic that Aaron and Kathryn created. I completely disagreed with the judges keeping Jenna. She's been in the bottom more than Mackenzie and even though Jenna is good, the only routine of hers that I remember was the one with the straps. I can recall several of Mackenzie's performances that truly stood out: the Cheesman Broadway routine from last week, the Edge of Glory routine, the femme-bot routine. I think she's was much more memorable and I was truly PISSED they kept Jenna over her.

I don't know who will be going home next week. With FikShun, Aaron, Paul and Tucker left, I think Tucker will go next week and maybe Paul or FikShun the week after. I just don't see Aaron going home. Is there anyone who isn't in love with him? Aaron FTW!!

With Amy, Haley, Jasmine and Jenna left standing, I think Jenna will go next week, and possibly Haley or Jasmine the week after. I do think it will be Amy and Jasmine in the top 2.

I want the top 4 to be Aaron, FikShun, Jasmine and Amy. Only two weeks left!

vCash
    Watched the show last night. I can't really add much except that I really love them all. The more I watch Fic-shun however, the lesser he seems to me. I adore him, he's precious, but as an all-round dancer, he isn't. I still think Tucker is the best of the men, but I'm totally smitten with Paul and who wouldn't love Aaron? It broke my heart to see Nico crying!

I was also sad MacKenzie was let go. Talk about drop dead gorgeous. And that included her dancing, although I was so happy to see jakob, who is to me also one of the top dancers from this show, it was hard to focus on McK. (My husband didn't have any trouble at all, however...) Who knows what went on in the choreographers' lives with these kids to make them cast the votes they cast? We'll never know, but I am sure it's very interesting. Underwhelmed with Amy, too. Good as she is, she just seems to be all the same every time to me-balls to the wall. Not that she has any... (can I say that?) She seems to be only exceptional when she's going full out. Her waltz was a snooze. She IS adorable and I'm sure all the 14 year olds identify with her.

I totally agree with kwanatic that Jasmine was very mismatched with Marko. They were both great but such different types of dancers they did NOT go together at all! Jasmine just plain kicked a**! She walked onto the stage eating it up, and she never quit. I immediately took a Michael Jackson spin from it, and as far as I'm concerned that routine could win it for her. Not my absolute favorite, but I won't begrudge her. I felt entertained, which is sometimes rare on this show. (for me anyway)

Funny, I don't remember anything about Haley. I think that was a very weak piece, probably dumbed down for her because Twitch was like the only person on the stage, and he was holding way back. I can not express how much I love that guy. I think Haley might be bottom 2 girls. I hate seeing Tucker go home-rather it was Fic-shun, but that's probably not going to happen.

vCash
    ^^FikShun is definitely the least trained of all the dancers left but people really like him. He's done a good job of adapting to each style and though he doesn't always nail it, he gives it his best and does a decent job.

I really hope they switch up the voting next week. With only 8 dancers left, the judges/choreographers shouldn't have a say in who goes and stays. Let the numbers decide; whoever got the fewest votes should be the one who goes home. Period. If they save Jenna one more time I'm going to lose it!

vCash
    If Nigel was telling the truth, all the choreographers voted to keep Jenna. I read that to mean that Jenna uses rehearsal time more productively than Mac and that Jenna asks better questions.

From my limited experience with comp kids, some of the best dancers are the absolute worst to work with. They either say "got it" then check out and miss key info, or they make it difficult for others to learn. Mac comes across fine on TV, but there's clearly something going on when the cameras are off.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    there's something to that. In the last project I choreographed, the most "talented" dancer was the one person in the group I will never work with again. She was always 10-15 minutes late, she was constantly asking to be excused from rehearsals for something she wanted to do instead, she forgot what time our tech rehearsal was. when she was there, she picked everything up perfectly the first time and her dancing is lovely, but it was extremely disrespectful to me, and to the other dancers who were always there and warmed up the second rehearsal was slated to begin. There was a critical rehearsal near the end where the piece needed to be finished, and she showed up an hour late (I would have fired her for that one, but did not have the rehearsal time to rechoreograph without her). I've heard from other choreographers that this is typical behavior for her. She's a stunning dancer and gets tons of work, but I think she's a nightmare.

I highly doubt Mackenzie would be able to behave that way on the show, but I definitely agree that talent isn't everything.

ETA: but the vote for the women was 9-6, so some of the choreographers had to have voted to keep Mackenzie.

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast