Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I don't get Jasmine (although she was fabulous in her element last week). She and Fik-Shun just don't have the polish and training of some of the other dancers. I'm disappointed it will be Jenna or Mackenzie tonight - both fabulous. I hope Tucker does not go home. And I agree -- I would love to see Jasmine and Twitch together!!

vCash
    I wouldn't mind losing Jenna and Nico tonight. Neither have been favorites for me. Which of course means it will be Makenzie and Tucker cause judges never agree with me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uyeahu View Post
    I wouldn't mind losing Jenna and Nico tonight. Neither have been favorites for me. Which of course means it will be Makenzie and Tucker cause judges never agree with me.
    It won't be Tucker. Judges won't kick him off after a piece with a story like this one.

vCash
    So does anyone know the details about Danny?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    So does anyone know the details about Danny?
    I don't know if it was inspired by more recent events or Danny's history with the Wall family in general. According to wiki....

Wall took a personal interest in Tidwell, and by the time he was ten, he was calling Wall "Mom" and her other sons (Scotty, Travis, Tyler and Shannon) his brothers. She found out that the boy would often walk part or all of the ten miles (16 km) home after dance class, had little adult supervision outside of the studio, and, at one point, had not been registered in school for months.[2] He lived with his natural mother and two sisters until he was ten, before moving in with Wall;[3] she officially took custody of Tidwell at the age of twelve.[4]

vCash
    There were tweets from both Travis and Denise saying he was in the hospital and Adam Shankman just tweeted that somewhere Danny is smiling.

vCash
    That's some bullshit. Saves me voting tonight at least.

vCash
    This show is dead to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    This show is dead to me.
    ditto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    There were tweets from both Travis and Denise saying he was in the hospital and Adam Shankman just tweeted that somewhere Danny is smiling.
    What! Is he sick?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    What! Is he sick?
    I couldn't find any further info on the situation and it has been driving me crazy because Danny is one of my favourites of all time. I just remember the gist of it was that he was fighting for his life.

ETA People are asking about him all over Twitter and he is NOT dead! (Adam's tweet made it sound like he was not just to me apparently) He was very sick though apparently about 5 months ago! On March 5th Stacey Tookey tweeted that she was sending him love. And both Travis and Denise tweeted on Feb 19 asking for prayers for him and then Denise tweeted that he was better but still in the hospital on Feb 23 and March 21. Denise tweets he is "much better" on May 21.

Okay - Twitter stalking now over.
    Last edited by The Accordion; 08-14-2013 at 04:35 AM.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Tonight's episode made me realize that it's not just the usual judges' (Nigel's) hyperbole, this is a really, really strong season.

Nifty chair group piece, wish the camera angles were better

TuckerJennaNicoMcKenzie B4 auigh! But we are spared solos.

Mary's hair looks really nice tonight.

Amy/Brandon - Doriana Disco!
    Of course Brandon gets a disco routine The music was horrid, but these two are a great match in energy and this was one of Doriana's better dances (nothing compared to the Janette/Brandon number, of course)!

Aaron/Kathryn - Stacey Tookey jazz? contemporary?
    THIS is chemistry! Aaron had a small bobble and there was one really awkward transition toward the end, but it really does look like these two have been dancing together for a long time. This is what has been missing for me from Aaron's performances with Jasmine. And Kathryn was exquisite in this.

FikShun/Melanie - Mandy Moore Jazz
    Hmmmm, both Amy and FikShun got new partnerships that retain the dynamic they had with each other This was another good piece that suited FikShun well...but I kept thinking how mad Holley Calmes must have been seeing Melanie on her tv after finally getting rid of Malece! And the judges gave her a major tongue bath to boot!

Paul/Witney - Cha Cha Jean-Marc Genereaux
    I was so excited to see Paul in his own genre!! But this was a little disappointing. The opening air tour looked like it was probably incredible, but Witney was in our way. Then Paul clunked her down on the ground way too hard, and many of the transitions after that were slightly...off. I honestly couldn't tell if it was him, or her, they just didn't seem to connect. In most styles I don't care about this, but it looked like she is too tall for him in this dance. Looking at Paul on his own, he looked great, but they didn't come together as a pair. I can't believe Debbie called this dance "seamless" because that's the last thing it was.

Haley/Twitch - Christopher Scott Hip Hop
    The choreography was phoned in (we've seen that table many, many times, and the hair unraveling was completely unnecessary and distracting), but at the beginning I thought Haley really stood out and held her ground with Twitch. I find it ironic that she's never been in the B3/B2, because she is the last female dancer I could put the face to the name. Nigel called her a chameleon, and I agree, because whenever she dances I notice her excellent technique, but then I forget her immediately after. but the discussion about having a great commercial dance career was interesting.

Jenna/Neil - Mandy Moore Contemporary
    Jenna reminds me a bit of Kathryn in her dance style. This was a beautiful performance, these two are well suited to each other. That was an astonishing lift! I didn't care much for Neil when he was competing, but now that he's matured a bit I like him more.

Jasmine/Marko - Hip Hop (I'm blanking on the choreographer's name)
    In the rehearsal clip we hear the choreographer saying it is critical in this piece that these two move identically, that the audience should think they are the same person...and Jasmine and Marko danced like they learned the piece separately and this was the very first time they had performed it in the same room. Seriously - their unison was off, and even the gestures had completely different attitudes. They each did a good job with the choreography, they just were doing two different dances. Considering that I've felt this disconnect with the Jasmine/Aaron pairing all season, and we saw Aaron ooooooze chemistry earlier, I think this is a performance skill that Jasmine is seriously lacking. I never feel this way about her group performances, maybe it's just a duet thing, but she's damned lucky the judges decided to pin this one on poor Marko.

Mackenzie/Jakob - Spencer Liffs Broadway
    These two together!! Her feet! In those shoes! Their leg lines! zOMG! le sigh

Nico/Comfort - NappyTabs Hip Hop
    Nico did better in this than I expected - could still see moments of "contemporary dancer doing hip hop", but Nigel is right about this piece really engaging Nico in the character of the piece. The costume was very forgiving, too

Tucker/Robert - Travis Contemporary
    I frequently at the endless Travis pimping on the show, but this was really great. Once again we had a really well matched pair - such a joy to see those long limbs moving together. This was an example of occasional lack of unison that didn't disrupt the piece, because the intent and emotion behind the movement was the same. I also appreciated the effective costuming, where our eye was drawn to Tucker in the lighter costume. Hauntingly performed by both men.

Dance selection ensured that Nico was going home tonight, and I think that was right. It really, really sucked that it came down to Jenna vs Mackenzie, as I thought they had the best performances by far for the women tonight. I would have been mourning either of them so I won't bemoan Jenna getting to stay. I honestly don't know how we'll get down to the finale - all of the remaining dancers have great strengths and different weaknesses. Are we getting another boy/girl winner?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Haha Genevieve! Thanks for the head's up. I will be sure to fast forward the Melanie dance now that you've warned me.....Thank goodness for TiVo. Actually, I won't be able to watch it for a couple of days-away on business. Love Fic-Shun though. Can't wait to see Kathryn and Robert!!!! And Tucker and Robert together? Heaven!

vCash
    I'm not the biggest Melanie fan, but she completely owned the dance with Fik-shun. He has great attitude, and WAY better ability to cope than Cyrus had, but still not fully capable. Melanie, otoh, had the really hard work in that dance, and nailed it.

Genevieve's comments on Jasmine/Marko not being together were exactly my impression too. I wanted to like this routine, but it fell a little flat for me.

Does Mandy Moore seem to have taken a few steps forward into more interesting choreography this season? I was yet again surprised that I really enjoyed both routines she choreographed -- and they seem to be of a different quality than most of her stuff from prior years. I was wondering what the heck they saw in her, but last night's choreography was just fine. And I'd be thrilled to pieces if Spencer Liff took over as the primary Broadway choreographer and Tyce quit. Liff's work is way, way more interesting.

Tucker & Robert's contemporary looked to me like a dance that could have just as easily been danced by a male/female couple, and not terribly different than a whole lot of other contemporary routines. They danced it well, but I don't get all the commotion over it.

I laughed when Comfort skittled off stage upside down -- I don't think I would have called it reptilian, but more insect-like. No clue how she did that with that kind of speed.

Amy/Brandon disco was yet again another not-very-interesting disco from Doriana Sanchez. And the music choice was awful. I lived through disco, walked through West Hollywood when the bars were pumping it out at high volume, and this doesn't cut it. Neither did Amy greatly impress. I hope they put Brandon to much better use next week.

I love Aaron. From coming on as a last minute replacement he has just gotten stronger and stronger. What a pleasure to see.

And Entertainment Today's recap has a nifty dance clip from Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse (The Band Wagon) that I'd never seen -- just gorgeous. (At the very bottom of the review.) http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/sytycd-...0-all-stars/4/
    Last edited by barbk; 08-14-2013 at 03:01 PM.

vCash
    I was expecting it would be Jenna going home based on the comments she got. Sorry it was Makenzie, but if they were the bottom two, one was going home. Nico was the right pick for the guys.

I think Tucker is a splendid dancer and he performed extremely well, but it was almost like he was the all star. Robert was way too emotional. I get where it's coming from, but this performance should have been about Tucker and not about him. It felt to me like Tucker was carrying him, which is so not fair to the competitor even though it assured him of not getting cut and will probably keep him out of the bottom next week.

As always, Twitch was great, but I didn't think Hayley was anything special. Paul dropped Witney like a sack of potatoes at one point and they missed a connection, so I didn't get the lavish praise.

My thoughts on bottom four next week: Hayley and Jenna for the girls, and it will finally be Jenna's time to go. She made top eight despite never really resonating with the public. For the guys, I'm guessing Paul and Aaron. I thought Aaron did great, but I think Tucker had the dance of the night and Fikshun is super popular.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I found Melanie annoying in the dance with Fikshun. She's too muscle bound to pull of that red dress and she over emoted.

vCash
    I may go to hell for this, but I was not affected emotionally at all by Tucker/Robert's piece. As a matter of fact, most of the time I am not affected by Travis' choreography; I think I'm tired of him using the show as his therapy sessions.

Witney has become even more of a camera hog than last year; she seemed to make no effort to connect with Paul at all and just looked straight into the camera whenever possible. The choreography didn't help as it seemed to be more about showcasing her than him.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    I may go to hell for this, but I was not affected emotionally at all by Tucker/Robert's piece. As a matter of fact, most of the time I am not affected by Travis' choreography; I think I'm tired of him using the show as his therapy sessions.

Witney has become even more of a camera hog than last year; she seemed to make no effort to connect with Paul at all and just looked straight into the camera whenever possible. The choreography didn't help as it seemed to be more about showcasing her than him.
    Travis is not alone as a choreographer in using the show for working out relationship drama.

Witney is not my favorite. I think she over does. Same style as Lacey Schwimmer. Demanding attention rather than earning it. She certainly didn't go out of her way to connect with Paul or showcase him, which was her job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    ...As a matter of fact, most of the time I am not affected by Travis' choreography; I think I'm tired of him using the show as his therapy sessions.
    Even though I did like this piece, I agree with this, and this morning I'm a bit bothered by the way the show presented the piece. They couldn't decide which would be the better angle: coming back from near-fatal accident (the dancers), or saving one's troubled brother who clearly doesn't want it. The intro made it sound like the former, but the dance was really about the latter. As always with the show, I'd rather they STFU and let the dance speak for itself. This dance was strong enough to do that.

Aaron is the only guy who I'd say is guaranteed to be safe next week. Probably Tucker, with that push.
    I think Amy and Jenna are also looking at the bottom, unfortunately.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    They couldn't decide which would be the better angle: coming back from near-fatal accident (the dancers), or saving one's troubled brother who clearly doesn't want it. The intro made it sound like the former, but the dance was really about the latter. As always with the show, I'd rather they STFU and let the dance speak for itself. This dance was strong enough to do that.
    I'm still confused by the Danny angle. What is going on with Danny and what was it that Travis was trying to say about it with this dance?

I don't like it at all when the show exploits and manipulates tragedy, especially when they don't just let the dance speak for itself and go on and on and cry about it. Then it's not about the dance or the dancing, but manipulation and milking sad situations.

vCash
    well, the intro related to the dancers (two men having survived devastating accidents) made it seem like something bad had happened to Danny. And then Adam's tweet made people think he had died. I *think* that the dance was more about a troublesome relationship between brothers, not a life-and-death one. Danny has been able to keep an astonishingly low online profile post-SYTYCD, so there's no way to know what has happened, but the show chatter about the piece gave the impression that Danny has either fallen into a drug habit or at the very least has become estranged from the Wall family. Even if it's true, I think it's kind of a low blow to give that impression about someone who is quite well known to the audience.

Add in the mystery around Robert's accident and it was all very strange.

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast