Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    who won? I have no idea!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    who won? I have no idea!
    That I remember - Eliana and Chehon. The 2 ballet dancers.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    From last season's finale:

Chehon and Eliana Ballet "The Nutcracker Suite - Pas De Deux"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7-jPCK-Wsk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    oh yes! I actually really loved them both! I probably blocked it due to the stupid "best girl/best guy" format
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I used to watch the entire season, but I cant seem to make it through anymore. Is it just me or are most of the dances contemporary? Mayben I'm misremembering, but I thought there was more variety in the first few seasons.

vCash
    shan - there have always been a boatload of contemporary.

vCash
    Well quite frankly most of the time there is a boatload of contemporary because they are almost always the best well-rounded dancers who do the best over all at all the styles.

vCash
    Missed last night and : at it being the last season! Not only because I love watching it but because it has really inspired the kids in my dance classes. I teach at high school and a good portion of the students don't dance elsewhere and are not exposed to the dance world too much. This show has really helped them see more dance in an accessible format and I have seen a great increase in their willingness to take risks in expressing themselves.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    Well quite frankly most of the time there is a boatload of contemporary because they are almost always the best well-rounded dancers who do the best over all at all the styles.
    Sorry-I just don't agree. I find MOST contemporary dancers who are on this show to be incredibly bland and mediocre at everything. Yes-there have been exceptions-I agree wholeheartedly, but the majority of kids who audition with contemporary-especially the girls, are just a huge snooze for me. They seem to have a very limited vocabulary of movement and if they don't stop rolling all over the floor in angst....I might die of laughter. Now really good contemporary dancers-Ailey, Lines, etc. are sensational, but that's on a professional level, and yes, those types of company dancers can do anything, but it's a whole different ballgame from what I see on this show. Just my opinion!!

My AD calls it "coupe, jete, kick yourself in the back of the head" dance.

I loved tutu boy and the two sexy ballroom dancers. I actually thought the contemporary girl whose father danced onstage was pretty good. I'd like to see her do some choreography that had more interest. I liked her body and commitment.

I'm just being witchy tonight, but I really believe the mediocrity of most contemporary/competition dance is killing this show.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I loved both shows of the opening week.. I really find this reality show holds my attention far more than the voice or even Idol.. I not only watched it but taped it.. I really hope its not the final season as this dance starved fan loves it
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Sorry-I just don't agree. I find MOST contemporary dancers who are on this show to be incredibly bland and mediocre at everything. Yes-there have been exceptions-I agree wholeheartedly, but the majority of kids who audition with contemporary-especially the girls, are just a huge snooze for me. They seem to have a very limited vocabulary of movement and if they don't stop rolling all over the floor in angst....I might die of laughter. Now really good contemporary dancers-Ailey, Lines, etc. are sensational, but that's on a professional level, and yes, those types of company dancers can do anything, but it's a whole different ballgame from what I see on this show. Just my opinion!!

I'm just being witchy tonight, but I really believe the mediocrity of most contemporary/competition dance is killing this show.
    I agree with what you say above (except that I think Nigel & Co's making the format so formulaic and trying to outsmart the voters is what has killed the show) - but that's an entirely different thing than what chantilly posted, which is that the contemporary dancers tend to be the best at picking up the different styles. Not that they necessarily excel in every style, but most of them that get into the top 20 are able to pick up new genres more easily than those who've only studied ballroom, or ballet, or hip hop.

Of course, at this point, most of the dancers who make the show have studied just about everything, regardless of what style they are purported to represent I actually miss the early years when the competitors had a lot more personality and you could see both their strengths and weaknesses as performers.

But I'm right there with you on the contemporary solos, especially for the women.

vCash
    I think the show is tailored towards contemporary/competition dancers more. Of the styles danced on the show, we've had contemporary, jazz, lyrical jazz, broadway, pop jazz... So in one season, a conteporary dancer is going to dance styles close to their training more often than a ballroom dancer, for example.

As to this year, I'll catch up with the auditions later. I tend to enjoy the show better if I don't get too involved at the beginning and just watch the good auditions later.

vCash
    I think the show is tailored towards competition dancers because their numbers are legion as viewers in this country, and it's all about the dollar. Period. My husband was wondering why they were showing so many male dancers the first 2 shows, and then he said...oh yeah-it's mostly girls watching. Think about the female winners of this show. They've been very non-threatening and some downright androgynous...nothing wrong with that, but your sexier femmes haven't exactly been winners. I remember lots of top 10 very hot females, but they never won. Of all the female winners, my favorite was Jeanine, and she was really adorable but hardly mature - she was kittenish. (I loved her!) Last year's female winner was pretty and older and mature, but a wee bit horsey, and I don't mean that in an ugly way-I was her fan from day 1 and think she's one of the 3-4 best dancers ever on the show. BUT - she managed to be sexy when necessary in her dancing, but her interview personality was self-effacing and demure. Someone like Kayla is not going to win. Never has. I think your average tween and young teen female viewer, the base, wants a female to identify with, and that doesn't include Kayla and her ilk. Just my humble opinion!

vCash
    If it's the last season, so be it. I'm going to sit back and enjoy it (despite Nigel).

vCash
    I'd love to see Twitch added as a regular judge.

vCash
    I liked Twitch's comments and respect for the dancers, as well.

vCash
    I had the honor to meet Twitch and work with him for a couple of days at a dance festival - he was teaching hip hop - and I have to say, he is one of the loveliest gentlemen I ever met. And very handsome! He was so fun and gentle with the dancers, and they were so in awe of him. He posed for every photo, gave every autograph asked, and was in general just a delight the whole weekend. Even old granny Holley here had to have a photo taken with him. He's totally genuine, at least from that one experience, but I bet he's like that all the time. (I wonder where all those photos of him teaching got to? They're somewhere on the computer...)

Twitch as a judge? Absolutely!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I liked Twitch's comments and respect for the dancers, as well.
    I just like Twitch

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I also like that they are putting through more of the pop lock/hip hop to Vegas without doing the choreography and they seem to be putting more of the generic contemporary dancers in the choreography round. Nearly everyone gets eliminated in Vegas so why not put through people who are so excellent in their styles. If they can't do anything else, there is plenty of time to eliminate them.

From the preview footage last week, it looks like the Exorcist dancer will be back.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    What I find meh is that most of the genre dancers are so much better at their own style and so much more compelling movers even in styles they don't master than the contemporary dancers, who are interchangeable and who turn almost every other style into 50 shades of bland McDance.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast