Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Aaron had never been in the bottom and Fik Shun just hit bottom last week so before that he also had never bottomed. This was anybody's game. The votes were probably super close among everybody. Though I think Comfort was the least liked (as a contestant) among the lady all stars last week so that also might have played a part. I mean Hayley also had an all star that hit bottom a few times as a contestant.

Clueless American
    vCash
    Yay... the final four are my four favorites I absolutely love fik-shun... can't help it, he totally charms me. At any rate, I love all four so will be happy regardless of who wins

vCash
    I was hoping Aaron and Jasmin were going last night I thought Paul was going to win it all although I really like FikShun too. Fingers crossed for Amy and FikShun next week!

vCash
    Almost to the end!

Jesse is back!! He is my favorite non-dance affiliated judge. The opening number was nice. Afro-jazz meets Sunday morning liturgical dance. It was nice!

Aaron: I want him to win this so badly!! I thought his number with Melanie was really good and they were so in character, I thought the drop at the end was intentional for a moment. His tap solo was phenomenal and I loved the dance with Jasmine too. Boyfriend looks yummy with the guyliner ! OMG, Jesse made me laugh so hard. "You're great, I think you're just...I have a crush on you!" *ducks under table* That was too funny! I have a crush on Aaron too. Aaron is so charismatic and honest...I just think he's wonderful and after almost not making the show to being in the top 2 is amazing. I'm feeling like he is going to win this.

Jasmine: I really loved the concept of the Tyce piece. It really did look like the two of them were blowing in the wind and they danced it beautifully. Her solo was lovely as well. Jasmine exudes a lot of emotion when she dances and I think that's what draws the judges in. I really liked the concept of the dance with Aaron with the mirrors. That sideways split thing was pretty impressive. I love how Jesse told her she was a protractor! I adore that guy! Jasmine has been a favorite of mine since week 2 and I'm really happy to see her reach the end. My gut is telling me Amy will probably win but to make it this far is incredible and I absolutely love her.

Amy: So cool she did her solo to Red Violin but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. It was a little odd, especially the dead bug ending pose with her legs straight up in the air. That Bollywood piece with Alex was awesome. I didn't think it was the hardest Bollywood (that goes to Joshua and Katie IMO) but I thought Amy and Alex were really entertaining and energetic. The hip hop piece with FikShun was cute but it felt like every other routine they've ever done. I wish they'd drawn jazz or something else. Amy has been amazing all season long and she's never been at the bottom. I'm feeling like she'll walk away with the title this year.

FikShun: His solo was awesome! I loved that! His foxtrot was rather blah IMO. It's a tough dance to pull on a night when people are getting Bollywood and contemporary but I think he danced it well enough...I just didn't care for it. His piece with Amy was fun but like I said, I feel like it was the 3rd or 4th time I'd seen it. I enjoyed it but I'd have liked to see something else. I was a little shocked that FikShun made it into the final after being in the bottom last week but I'm really happy he did. He's adjusted well this season and done a very good job.

Paul: Paul's solo was the weakest of the boys but it was still nice. Next to the brilliance of Aaron's tap and FikShun's hip hop, it just faded into the background a bit. I thought his routine with Kathryn was nice but it didn't stand out that much to me. Same thing with his dance with Haley. I was a little shocked he went home but I'm happy he made it this far.

Haley: I was about 95% sure she would be the one going home this week but I'm glad she made it this far. Her solo was good and her dance with Joshua (WOO!) was really good too. I was watching Joshua more than I was watching her but I do think she kept up with him pretty well. I definitely got that "Million Dollar Baby" vibe from her. Her dance with Paul was nice but it didn't stand out next to the other two couples. I've enjoyed Haley this season and I'm glad she made it this far.

So this is definitely my dream top 4. Aaron/Jasmine and FikShun/Amy have been my favorite two couples of the season and my favorite dancers of the season so no matter who wins, I'll be thrilled. Right now I'm feeling like it's going to be Aaron and Amy but I could be wrong. I'm excited to see what's going to happen!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I like all of the final 6 but I preferred Paul over both Aaron and FikShun. Paul was so versatile and came on strong the last few weeks. He has some the best ballroom solos I have seen because he can throw some other stuff in. By contrast, FikShun's weaknesses have showed in the last few weeks, but the solos just rock. Aaron has had a couple of bad dances in the last 2 weeks, but choreography had a part in that. And probably his shoulder injury too. Great tap solo. Nice to see a tapper make it to the finale.

Aaron/Jasmine and Amy/FikShun definitely had the most couple chemistry right from the start.

Hayley stood out more early on than she did at the end. She has been consistently good though. Jasmine came on strong in the last few weeks. Amy was strong at the beginning, faded a tiny bit in the middle, came on strong at the end. Overall, I'd send Jasmine home this week, but I am fine with any of the girls. In fact, I would have been fine with Makenzie, Jenna, Jasmine Mason too. Really strong group of girls.

Funny, until this week, Aaron and Paul had never been in the bottom; Amy, Hayley, Jasmine, FikShun were each in the bottom once. Pretty even.

Really my only major :wuz robbed: for this season is that Malece should have been in the bottom early on instead of Makenzie and Jasmine Mason - Malece should have gone home earlier and Jasmine Mason later. Could argue the same for Carlos vs. Jade/Bluprint.

I loved Paul/Kathryn (wish this week's vote counted for the F4) and Alex/Amy.
    Last edited by Rob; 08-28-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Last night's ep was a bit of a step down from the previous week - but last week was AMAZING, pluis I got home right as the show began, so I was distracted while making dinner. No grand recap from moi (you're welcome )

Yes, the opening was an Ailey homage (or ripoff if you must), but it was lovely. Occasionally, I do like lyrical modern.

Aaron's tap solo was possibly the best performance of the whole night. LOVED IT.
    FikShun's solo was pretty darned fantastic too.

So grateful for the artistry of Amy's solo - but I'm not so sure about that ending gyno pose

Kudos to Jasmine - she finally has figured out connection with her partner, and now she's killing it! When I heard Tyce was doing another Issues Piece, I rolled my eyes, but I loved that. Jasmine and Neil were fantastic together, and the staging was fully formed. I actually liked that Jasmine seemed less sure on her feet, less precise than usual (maybe from the fans? they had to be blowing pretty darned strong to get the paper to move so well)... the slight awkwardness of the transitions worked with the piece and softened her a bit. And Neil is such a better dancer now that he's not the gymnastics pretty boy!

Loved the guyliner on Aaron, but that piece had a cool concept and crappy choreography. Didn't like that piece at all. Quite frankly, I can't believe that the judges didn't call him out for letting Melanie fall on her head like that. It happens, and they both kept on as the pros they are, but that was a hard fall, and the dance was not without its problems before that. hmmm

Loved the Bollywood!

I fully expected Hayley to go - she's a great dancer but even when it's down to three, she doesn't have strong stage personality. Was actually surprised about Paul - and FikShun looked floored.

it seems predestined that Aaron and Jasmine will win this season (HATE the double winner format!!). I think any of the four of them have done well enough to deserve it, I'll be voting based on what happens next week (plus this week if everyone is equally stunning).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Because once the hand connection didn't happen there was nothing Aaron really could have done.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-5AT80D584

Just like when Witney hit the ground too hard after a lift and a missed hand connection with Paul. And nothing was really said.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLg5Qj-f0p8

vCash
    I had hoped Paul would win based on his versatility and overall dancing skills, but that was wishful thinking on my part. I think the remaining 4 are all good in their own way and it will come down to the choreo and dancer's personality/looks; what performances will come across the best with America's SYTYCD voter's. Genevieve: it seems more likely that Amy and Fikshun are at the top of the leader board now, since they both were sent to safety first. They may appeal more to the tween set who tend to power vote...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debrah View Post
    Genevieve: it seems more likely that Amy and Fikshun are at the top of the leader board now, since they both were sent to safety first. They may appeal more to the tween set who tend to power vote...
    Last night Aaron was announced to have made the finals before Fikshun was. But I agree with you that he may appeal more to the power-voting tweens.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    I have loved seeing a big guy like Aaron do so well in this competition. He brings a whole different level of physicality to the dance, and it was great that he was partnered with Jasmine in the beginning. I think he can thank Jasmine for getting him on the show -- nobody else is really of a great size to partner with her, and if they were looking at who to bring up when a vacancy happened, his size had to be influential. I guess we can just count ourselves as lucky; I've enjoyed the heck out of his dancing.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Saw the show. The Ailey-esque group dance wasn't as much a rip-off as I feared, until that last pose....geeze guys.....

But kind of a forgettable show for me. Nothing bowled me over like last week. The only thing I can remember is how cute Jesse was telling Aaron he had a crush on him and frankly, I enjoyed pretty much all of Jesse's comments.

I also remember Jasmine's silver sequin body suit, and wishing how much I would love to have the body to wear it. Wear it where, I have no clue. But I loved it. That woman is just gorgeous.

So guess I'm rooting for Aaron and Jasmine as the adult choice. Amy and Fic-Shun are cute precious little munchkins. They'll probably win. I still think Tucker and possibly MacKenzie were the two best overall dancers. But of course, on this show...dancing is secondary.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    But of course, on this show...dancing is secondary.....
    c'mon, really? You still think so this season? I would say any of the top 8 had a legitimate chance to win based on dance ability, including FikShun (although he's the weakest outside his genre). I know there's always the tension between best dancer and "favorite" dancer, but in no way was the show ever supposed to be America's Best Ballet Dancer - or Best Ballet Body, for that matter.

I find it amusing that the season the judges said they were going out on a limb/taking chances with some of their picks, we end up with the strongest top 10 there's perhaps ever been. I'd like to think it's because the show will sort itself out when Nigel & Co stop trying to second guess what America wants from the show, but of course he did keep saving both Jenna and Makenzie so that's not true at all...hey wait! He made sure the best dancers stayed (most of the time)! Crap, does this mean I have to stop dogging on him??
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    When did I ever say this show was supposed to be about ballet dancers? I have often said I prefer the ballet body type and ballet as a style of dance, but that's a purely personal thing. Nigel himself has said many times that it isn't about America's best dancer, but it's favorite dancer, meaning the viewership's favorite. That pretty much sums it up. It's a popularity contest voted on by a very young mainstream audience. I'm just glad they're watching something to do with dance, and I hope the show will lead some of these viewers into exploring more about the very wide world of dance-yes, much wider than the world of just ballet, and definitely offering more quality than what we see on this program, fun as it is. Just my humble opinion.

vCash
    So guess I'm rooting for Aaron and Jasmine as the adult choice. Amy and Fic-Shun are cute precious little munchkins.
    My sentiments too - I think Amy and Fic-Shun are pretty wonderful and I am glad they made the finals. But, Jasmine has been my favorite of all the dancers from the beginning. I like Aaron's bigness - his strength and masculinity. When the two couples are in a side to side comparison, I think that the scintillating charm and cuteness of Fic-Shun & Amy is shadowed by the strength and bigness of Jasmine and Aaron. In other words, If I were putting together the order of the numbers in the dance recital, I'd make sure there were plenty of numbers between these two couples. That said, it's hard not to remember that Amy's performance last week was breathtaking - that alone could lead to her winning. Wow, I'm all over the place on this! LOL!

vCash
    Saw the show. The Ailey-esque group dance wasn't as much a rip-off as I feared, until that last pose....geeze guys.....
    This was a group redo of a couple dance Sean choreographed for SYTYCD Canada's first season. It's one of my favorite dances ever, and definitely my favorite Afro-Jazz number ever. Here it is in its original form. I much preferred the original.

I'm thrilled Aaron and Jasmine made the finale, especially Jasmine. Yes, she's not the best technician in contemporary. But I love her. I think she's amazing, her chemistry with Aaron was wonderful from the beginning, she's a kick-ass hip hop dancer and she's absolutely gorgeous to boot. Plus she's shy and I'm all for shy people doing well in these competitions. I think Amy and Fik-shun will win this hands down. Then again, I thought that last year Tiffany and Cyrus would win it because of who usually votes on this show and Eliana and Chehon got it. I'd be thrilled if Aaron and Jasmine can pull it off.

vCash
    When did I ever say this show was supposed to be about ballet dancers? I have often said I prefer the ballet body type and ballet as a style of dance, but that's a purely personal thing.
    Certainly! But often your comments about someone's ability are so entwined with how close (or far) they are to the highly specific ballet body ideal that it's hard to tell if there is any difference for you. I was just saying that this season has offered the most diverse smorgasbord of deep talent as we've seen since S4 or S5 and while I agree in your disagreement () on a lot of voting trends, this season it's just been hard to avoid sending great dancers home because there've been so many. Reducing Amy and FikShun's clear talent and skill to calling them "cute munchkins" as if they are on the same par as Malece, or the young couple Nigel kept shoving down everyone's throats several years ago is just plain inaccurate. *shrug*

I'm just glad they're watching something to do with dance, and I hope the show will lead some of these viewers into exploring more about the very wide world of dance-yes, much wider than the world of just [substitute in the favorite genre of any devoted follower with a dance background], and definitely offering more quality than what we see on this program, fun as it is.
    On this, we agree wholeheartedly

vCash
    Dance is a visual medium. The body is an instrument. Having facility and "ability" might enable a dancer to do the required physical moves correctly, but a back roundoff doesn't equate artistry. How the dancer "plays" his or her instrument is what elevates their athleticism to art. This is greatly enhanced when the dancer's body has pleasing line and creates beautiful images doing those required moves. Some people are just born with it. It isn't a matter of height. I could watch my AD, who was a great dancer in his time, simply walk across the room-he's beautiful in motion. And this is very personal to each of us. Different body types speak to different people. Many "ballet body" dancers I love are probably no taller or bigger than Amy. It's about how my eye and brain appreciate what the dancer puts together....highly individual and personal. Lots of people can do "tricks." I'm not sure I think a whole lot of the kids who have been on SYTYCD through the years go much beyond this though some have. Twitch is an artist to me, for example.

I'm not ready to crown Fic-Shun as a great dancer when even though he's the BEST at his genre, he can't get the basics of pointed toes and straight knees for most other styles. I adore him-I just don't think he's well rounded enough to be the winner, but that's not my call. But it IS my personal opinion. Amy is very good, but I find her limited artistically. And she is a munchkin! I like munchkins. They're cute.

vCash
    I'm not ready to crown Fic-Shun as a great dancer when even though he's the BEST at his genre, he can't get the basics of pointed toes and straight knees for most other styles. I adore him-I just don't think he's well rounded enough to be the winner, but that's not my call. But it IS my personal opinion. Amy is very good, but I find her limited artistically. And she is a munchkin! I like munchkins. They're cute.
    I'd be curious to know why you consider Amy to be limited artistically and who is an example of a SYTYCD female dancer that was an artist?
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Amy is very bright, sunny, smiling-all the time. Except in the piece with Travis, she seems to keep this one dimension all the time - big grin, perky, sweet. It's nice. It's just constant. She always goes flat out. Not much subtlety or modulation in her physical expression. I think I remember a waltz which was slower, but nothing memorable. Going "balls to the wall" all the time doesn't show much range. Of course, some of this could be because of the types of dances and music she was given, but she's still kind of exhausting. Women on SYTYCD who I think were more artistic just off the top of my head were all more mature types....Allison goes without saying-of course. Jaime. I always enjoyed Chelsea. Eliana last year. Kathryn, Katee...Amelia, and I loved Jeanine. Kayla even....I didn't like her much but I certainly give her credit.

vCash
    Amy is very bright, sunny, smiling-all the time. Except in the piece with Travis, she seems to keep this one dimension all the time - big grin, perky, sweet. It's nice. It's just constant. She always goes flat out. Not much subtlety or modulation in her physical expression. I think I remember a waltz which was slower, but nothing memorable. Going "balls to the wall" all the time doesn't show much range. Of course, some of this could be because of the types of dances and music she was given, but she's still kind of exhausting. Women on SYTYCD who I think were more artistic just off the top of my head were all more mature types....Allison goes without saying-of course. Jaime. I always enjoyed Chelsea. Eliana last year. Kathryn, Katee...Amelia, and I loved Jeanine. Kayla even....I didn't like her much but I certainly give her credit.
    I'd put Sasha in your group as well. I like chameleons.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast