Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

vCash
    Am I a terrible person to say that I enjoyed seeing Jenna in the bottom 3? I knew there was no way she was going home, but hopefully it gave her a reality check. She struts around like the title is hers. Last week she did a piece that showcased her and ignored her partner and he was safe and she was bottom 3. I really enjoyed that. I think Alexis should have been cut. She's been mediocre in all her three dances, but that's the way the Nigel command goes.

vCash
    Again, I haven't watched everything. But I have to say that I was disappointed in Jenna/Tucker and Jasmine/Alan because I was aware of, and thoroughly enjoyed, the originals. Jenna and Tucker were all wrong for that piece. They just looked so awkward, especially Jenna. And Jasmine/Alan (whom I love) didn't get the quirkiness and character of their piece. Alan got it more than Jasmine, who was really kind of stuck in "pretty princess" mode. I watched all of the SYTYCD Canada seasons and it saddens me that Sean Cheesman's work doesn't translate as well to the US show because he was freaking awesome in Canada.

I thought Jasmine M. was not great last week in the tango and that Alan outdanced/outperformed her both in the tango and last night's jazz. Too bad, because I thought it was a great pairing. Now Alan will be paired with my least favorite, Malece. Grumble.

And may I just say, I think Jenna's personality doesn't come across well on TV. She comes across and hard and a bit full of herself. I really don't like that I noticed that.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    so were those exact pieces used in SYTYCD Canada? on the one hand, I get it, why not get more life out of a piece, particularly if it was well-received. OTOH, it invites comparisons that frequently aren't favorable (I hated when they had dancers do "favorite routines" from previous season either last year or the year before).

I'm not seeing the attitude from Jenna that others have mentioned - but it might just be that there is a sea of brunettes without very distinguishing features this season and she's one of the ones I can easily identify, which I appreciate.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    genevieve, the Jenna/Tucker piece was danced by the choreographers here, and it has over 2 million views. It's very popular and the difference between how they danced the piece and how Jenna/Tucker danced is quite marked. And because of that, Jenna and Tucker seem all wrong to me.

Here's the Alan/Jasmine piece done in SYTYCD Canada by Janick and Jeff. Unfavorable comparison, indeed.

vCash
    thx! I'll watch the vids when I'm home tonight. It's unrealistic to expect that a SYTYCD team would do as well as the choreographers performing their own work, but I'm interested in seeing what the original vision was.....it also makes me even harder at the judges' comments about "is this really hip hop?" because clearly they commissioned this exact piece. probably hand-picked the team who would do it, too. Nigel
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    Am I a terrible person to say that I enjoyed seeing Jenna in the bottom 3? I knew there was no way she was going home, but hopefully it gave her a reality check. She struts around like the title is hers. Last week she did a piece that showcased her and ignored her partner and he was safe and she was bottom 3. I really enjoyed that. I think Alexis should have been cut. She's been mediocre in all her three dances, but that's the way the Nigel command goes.
    You know, some people just rub us the wrong way, no matter how good a dancer they might be. I used to despise Kayla. I acknowledge she was a very good dancer, but her smirky facial expression was offputting. I also enjoyed being "validated" (at least to myself) when at the end Jeanine won and all the dancers EXCEPT Kayla were crowded around Jean ine celebrating. And here was Kayla standing off to the side obviously engrossed in conversation with a very handsome guy. Of course, this means nothing really, and Kayla could have been the sweetest person in the world. BUT-her on-screen persona really chapped my skivvies. I didn't like Melanie either. I thought she was a one-note dancer, I didn't like her body type, and she came across to me as insincere and just milking the "persona" that had been given her. (Doesn't help that I know some dancers at Fordham who know her and perhaps I know too much...) I just didn't think she was all that. Kherington was another who got on my last nerve, and I actually celebrated when she bombed in that cowboy dance, even though she was paired with one of my favorites. This is all baggage I carry. All three of these kids could be great, lovely, nice people. I give them that, even as I mutter to myself, "I bet you're a real ***** in person!" Malece borders on this for me, but she seems so clueless and helpless I really can't work up a good hate for her. Jenna doesn't bother me in the least, and I actually think she's lovely. I think it's all in how we put our own experiences through our own filters. But they put themselves up there to be assessed by the public, and I as a member of the public assessed.

vCash
    Malece strikes me as clueless. What I didn't understand was why no one tried to explain to her how offensive her movement was in the Bollywood piece. When Nigel joked about offending people in Bombay (it's called Mumbai now Nigel) I was appalled. Of course, most of the SYTYCD dancers have screwed up the hand gestures to some extent, but they've at least looked like they were really trying and taking it seriously. Malece was utterly oblivious. That's not okay, but she's clueless. It's up to the adults to gently tell her that it's not okay.

I thought Kayla was the product of a tough upbringing by a single parent. She did have an attitude and the platinum blonde hair didn't help. But I felt it was more that she'd grown up the center of her mother's universe and she couldn't accept that someone else was better than her, which unquestionably Janine was.

Someone just decided Melanie was "special." I thought she was good, not great. I didn't really get it, but I didn't have a major reaction.

Jenna has ballroom attitude. That is good when one is competing in ballroom where you're on that floor with the other dancers vying for the attention of the judges. But it's coming off as really bad in this setting. The fact that she wound up bottom 3 in a dance that totally showcased her indicates people are not connecting to her. I enjoyed seeing her humbled.

vCash
    I agree that they - emphasis on Nigel - were extremely "cavalier" about the Indian dance hand gestures. They MEAN something. It's the equivalent of a white person calling a Native American woman a "squaw" thinking they are innocently just calling them female, but in reality they're calling them a whore. I think respect for other cultures' traditions should extend in all directions. If you can't "get" the hand movements correctly but you are trying and giving it your best with all the respect you can muster, I think any reasonable East Indian person would be ok with it and appreciate your effort given with positive attitude. At least you're trying. To flagrantly just throw your hands around without any relationship to what it should be and think that's funny, that's disrespectful, and they are all old enough to know the difference.

vCash
    Ok, now that I've had a full day to forget everything and am sufficiently grumpy from not nearly enough sleep, I'm going to comment on each of the dances.

Amy/FikShun - It was a bit slow and lethargic but they did as well as any contemporary/hip hop couple that I can recall with the exception of Joshua and Katie. There was one great moment where they do a dip in slow motion that was really effective and I wish more of the choreography had been as interesting.

Jasmine H/Aaron - Once again, LOVED Aaron, meh Jasmine. I've been trying to come around to her but it's just not happening. She only seems to have one setting and yet somehow it's never the appropriate one. Beautiful girl, great legs, but I just don't care much.

Mackenzie/Paul - Gorgeous and becoming my favorite pair. Paul is beginning to show the skills that won him the Armenian title and Mackenzie is a gorgeous and versatile dancer as well.

Jasmine M/Alan - One of my top 3 pairs, but they stumbled a bit on this one. Maybe Jasmine was distracted by her appearance in the bottom 3 because it felt like she was marking the dance and not really going for it. I would expect Alan to struggle with it, but it's her style and she should have killed it.

Jenna/Tucker - There was absolutely nothing about that performance that read Hip Hop. It was closer to a Fosse Jazz number than hip hop - which is fine, but don't sit there ignoring that fact Judges. The choreography may have been a very Jazz influenced hip hop - but the performance we got was just all that Jazz which was a fail even though I like this couple, or at least I like Tucker. (I'd like him even more dancing with one of the two girls who've been cut).

Malece - The best she's managed yet and good for her. She's far from my favorite but dancing with Marco really did seem to raise her game substantially.

Haley/Curtis - Haley was great, Curtis was awful. I expect to see him go home next week but he's gonna have to race Blueprint to the bottom for the pleasure.

Alexis/Nico - BORING. Not a fan of either of these two and really wish Alexis had been sent home over Jasmine.

Mariah/Blueprint - I loved that we were getting a different kind of Hip Hop than we usually get but it should have been so much better than it was. I'm not a fan of Mariah and as much as I want to love Blueprint I don't think it's realistic to believe he'll ever be this super expressive extrovert they want him to be. Let him be a robot. That's what he wants to be.

I want to see Alexis and Curtis go home next but doubt they'll send two tappers home the same week.
    Last edited by uyeahu; 07-11-2013 at 02:26 AM.

vCash
    Finally saw the show and I won't analyze much. Just a few thoughts:

-Fic Shun and Amy were beautifully costumed, beautifully lit, but the music was awful, and I don't think they "got it." Of course, he doesn't have to do anything but stand there and smile and the votes will roll in. She is awesome in general, but not so much in this dance. Her best moment was the pose at the end of the introduction....

-Agree with Uyeahu - MacKenzie and Paul were stunning. I have always liked him a lot, and he's starting to come out as an individual personality now, I think. She's just incredible and dare I say, slightly better than Amy. LOVE them.

-Malece did very well. I admit. However, the way she works her teeny little mouth looks like she's either terribly nervous or has something venomous to say or just ate a lemon. Someone needs to coach her because it's horribly unbecoming, and I am sure she doesn't mean it. Probably nerves. If anyone needs some restaylene in their lips, it's her, bless her heart.

-Mariah is just so ordinary and just not. Just not. Sorry. Sweet kid. Just not.

-Jenna must have really p.o.'d the costumer, because that outfit was about the ugliest thing I ever saw. It actually took a LOT away from her dancing, it was so unflattering. I don't dislike her, but Tucker was super. Love Tucker.

-Alexis wasn't even in the same ballpark with Nico. I think Nico is a very good dancer. Alexis doesn't have any line, no definition or shape in her legs, and she looked like an amateur dancing with a professional. It was a pity to waste such a strong and fabulous song/singer on such mediocre dancing. I also think she should have been the one to go home.

-Poor Jasmine M...they said "she didn't believe in herself?" I guess getting kicked off the show is really going to help with that.

-Haley is insanely good. Poor Curtis. He's really such a sweet kid. I feel bad for him getting all that criticism. And I wondered if they threw so much criticism at Blueprint to see if they could "break him" into showing some emotion. But they're right....if he'd just let loose he'd be so much better to watch.

Just my thoughts. Oh yes-Jasmine Remaining is a stunningly beautiful girl. That face! Not convinced her dancing is all they say it is, but she's coming along, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

Mackenzie/Paul - contemporary, new choreographer alert! Lindsey Melco(?)
    Lindsey gets the Mia Michaels award for calling something organic in the preview. I can never remember Mackenzie's or Paul's names and probably wouldn't be able to pick them out of a lineup of the dwindling Top 20, but I loved this. THIS is chemistry.
    Chemistry is right! Whoa. I think they're the first couple I've seen in all my years of watching SYTYCD US that seem truly, really, into each other. That plus their incredible talent makes them the couple to watch for me.

vCash
    thx! I'll watch the vids when I'm home tonight. It's unrealistic to expect that a SYTYCD team would do as well as the choreographers performing their own work, but I'm interested in seeing what the original vision was.....it also makes me even harder at the judges' comments about "is this really hip hop?" because clearly they commissioned this exact piece. probably hand-picked the team who would do it, too. Nigel
    From Keone Madrid's (choreographer) facebook, it seems that the show commissioned that exact piece, indeed:

Thank you everyone for your support on the show! We had such a wonderful time and everyone was so nice to us during the process. Not to mention our dancers were incredible to work with. We couldn't have asked for a better "rookie" Sytycd appearance . A little insider info for those asking: the producer's did ask specifically for Dangerous which we warned is not really hip hop, but that didn't matter. Nonetheless what an experience to showcase your work to MJ music right(which NEVER gets cleared for TV)?! We're feeling incredibly blessed and inspired by this experience. We can't wait to get back in the lab and create more! Thank you again for your love & support! And in case you missed it here is the performance. By the way "Hip Jazz" is not real haha. Call it what you want, we just love to dance
    Me thinks that they did that so that they could say Jenna's done hip hop, even if it wasn't really hip hop as even the choreographers themselves say. Grassy knoll time!

vCash
    I'm really sad about Jasmine M. going home. She was one of my favorites. I feel bad for Jade too but something tells me he would have been sent home anyway seeing as he was in the bottom 3 again.

Mackenzie/Paul: Loved the two of them. That new choreographer is wonderful and that dance was beautiful. That one was my favorite of the night. The pair of them started off a little slow but they seem to be catching fire at this point.

Jasmine H./Aaron: Again, they just know how to do it. I wasn't 100% sold on the concept of whatever the routine was about but what they did, they sold beautifully. The two of them are really rolling right now and it's great. Aaron is my favorite guy right now and now that Jasmine M. is gone, Jasmine H. is my favorite girl.

Jasmine M./Alan: I completely disagreed with the judges. I thought the choreography was quirky enough without needing to be all voidy and over-the-top with facial expressions. I thought the two of them were excellent and I'm really pissed Jasmine went home.

Malece: Shocking really b/c I don't really care for Malece but I thought she was excellent in this piece. I think a lot of that had to do with Marko (wheeee!) b/c he is an amazing dancer. I don't get the Malece-Melanie reference Mary made...I think just seeing a girl with short hair dancing with Marko reminded her of Melanie...IDK. It will be interesting to see if Malece can building off of this performance.

Jenna/Tucker: I'm good with the idea of a hip-hop/jazz fusion piece but, I'm sorry, I saw zero hip-hop in that whatsoever...that was all jazz. That said the dance was nice and they delivered it well, but I feel like the judges were making excuses for the choreographers. That duo are no NappyTabs...let's get that straight right away. Jenna and Tucker did well though so kudos to them.

Alexis/Nico: As much as I love her, I would have sent Alexis home rather than Jasmine. I did like the hypnotist dance though. I agree that they seemed much more together and in sync than in weeks past. I thought the number was cute and I thought they danced it well.

Amy/FikShun: I give FikShun an "E" for effort...it's seen the paso doble done much worse than that. I thought the two of them were good but they didn't really stand out. Hopefully they'll bounce back with something better week after next. I still love them though...

Mariah/Blueprint: I thought Mariah did a really good job in this and I agree that Blueprint doesn't really project much when he dances. He does need to bring a bit more personality to the dance and really get into it.

Haley/Curtis: To say Curtis is a tapper, I thought he did okay. Again, I've seen this style done much worse than what he did. I thought he really tried and it looked decent enough to me. The judges picked him apart though so he'll probably be in the bottom next show. Haley was nice but the dance didn't really do it for me. I expected more energy in that one but the dance seemed really slow to me...

That opening number was EXCELLENT! I loved that!

vCash
    No posts on tonight's show? Not a good sign.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I watch the first hour then tape the last part to watch later because I switch to America's Got Talent. I already can't remember the first hour. If they had two weeks to practice (did they?), I was kinda thinking everyone would knock it out of the park. But I'm sitting here and can't remember a single dance from the first hour.

vCash
    They didn't have 2 weeks. The dancers were allowed to go home after the last show and resumed rehearsal this week on the time schedule if there had been an episode. None of the dances were especially memorable other than the trash piece that Tyce which seemed very close to Wade's s3 piece. Though rewatching it now, it's not as close as I thought watching the Tyce piece but still it's from the same musical and it has a similar theme and costuming. And Tyce has a record so I give him no benefit of the doubt....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0y27XhLGVo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjjqY1kHRXI

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Ah, okay. I didn't know they got to go home for the week.

vCash
    And we're back!!! (stupid All Star break!)

Top 16 group dance was fine, if a bit uninspired.
    Apparently, the show has eliminated any pretense of bringing on guest judges who have any connection to dance, or have even seen the show. Carly Rae Jepson was even more useless than the FOX sports announcer from 2 weeks ago

Bottom 6: Curtis, Alan, Blueprint, Mariah, Mackenzie, and Jenna who was the only one given a pass from doing a solo. Mariah and Blueprint had the best solos by far (where was that solo last time Mariah was in the B3?), but both of them ending up in the bottom after getting their own style means they're going home unless something very unusual happens.

Alexis/Nico - Jive, Tony & Melanie
    The first few seconds looked kinda promising, but his feet looked flingy, and the camera angles conveniently hid her leg action the entire time, which makes me think it was worse. There was more performance than jive in this dance.

Jenna/Tucker - Contemporary, Travis
    This dance had a great premise and a lot of promise (other than the cheap choice of using a song called "Hangin By a Thread"), but I wanted it to go further. The big moment of Jenna spinning on her own, for instance should have been way more wow. Very unfortunate that they didn't get to use the rigging until yesterday (WTF, show?!?). They were really fighting with the straps at points - very professional about it, but it diminished the impact of the piece. Unbelievable that the judges didn't even mention any of it.

Mariah/Blueprint - Jazz, Brian Friedman
    Last show we had hip hop that was essentially jazz, and tonight we have jazz that's mostly hip hop. Started ok, didn't really go anywhere. That partnering by the pillar was awkward

Malece/Alan - Hip Hop, Dave Scott
    Holy crap, this was beyond horrible. It was embarrassing. I may never be able to erase the picture of Malece in that costume - it had the same effect as Rosie O'Donnell in the film Exit to Eden. eek eek eek eek eek. it was not good.

Haley/Curtis - Contemporary, Dee Kaspary
    Based on the rehearsal footage, I had pretty low expectations of this piece....very nice surprise! She's got great lines, their transitions were quite nice. Excellent use of the ladder, and they avoided the pitfalls of not getting adequate time that plagued Jenna and Tucker. To be honest, I didn't notice Curtis' shoulders in this, but I did notice his feet, which looked sloppy next to Haley's excellent feet. The way Nigel was hammering on Curtis, I thought for a moment he was going to be the one going.

Amy/FikShun - Jazz, Tyce
    Back on the FLOVE train!!!! This was just fantastic. And that Tyce - just when I've written him off completely he pulls out something glorious. I think he does it on purpose. LOVE THESE TWO.

Mackenzie/Paul - Hip Hop, Dave Scott
    Poor Dave, he gets the two ballroom boys. But everything that was wrong with the earlier piece managed to work here....neither of these two are hip hop dancers, and the end result was a piece that was far more modern than hip hop, but they ran with the idea, great interpretation and great chemistry, even when they were not doing the same thing. It just worked. These two are stealthily moving up each week.

Jasmine/Aaron - Quickstep, Tony & Melanie
    Aaron was surprisingly light in this - his arm/shoulder placement looks a bit odd at times but overall very nice. They looked like they were having a blast. I still don't get the chemistry that the judges rave about but they continue to deliver (other than the last lift, which looked like work).

Rankings:
    Amy/FikShun
    Mackenzie/Paul
    Jenna/Tucker
    Jasmine/Aaron (technically better than J/T but I want more connection dammit!)
    Haley/Curtis

gap

Alexis/Nico
    Mariah/Blueprint (ciao! )
    Malece/Alan good lord that was terrible

vCash
    I thought Alan would be the one going judging by how horrible that routine was. Unless he pulls a cha cha next week, I'd say he's going home. While I'd guess Alan is a superior Latin dancer than Paul, it's clear Paul is the more versatile dancer. I totally enjoyed that hip hop routine. Based on the costumes, when they were going into commercial and Cat said they'd be doing hip hop I thought she read the prompter wrong. Pleasant surprise.

Yet again, Jenna is in the bottom three. Letting Tucker be an equal in this routine -- thank you Travis -- may save her next week.

Overall, not the greatest week. It will be interesting to see who's in danger next week.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    And we're back!!! (stupid All Star break!)

Top 16 group dance was fine, if a bit uninspired.
    Apparently, the show has eliminated any pretense of bringing on guest judges who have any connection to dance, or have even seen the show. Carly Rae Jepson was even more useless than the FOX sports announcer from 2 weeks ago
    I agree that Carly Rae was a completely useless WTF choice as judge, but Erin Andrews at least should have had some knowledge of ballroom, because I think she made the finals on Dancing With the Stars. Sometimes I think the guest judges aren't critical not because they don't know what is going on, but because they don't want to hurt anyones feelings.

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast